Active Sound Design - Am I the only one?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 Vette Grand Sport
I've had my 2020 Soop for about two months now and have been seeing everyone complaining and deactivating their ASD. I always wondered why. As a music producer, I've always dreamt of ways of amplifying my exhaust note inside the cabin. This is why the first mod on every sports car I've had has something to do with sound. So much so, that I tried setting up a studio omni-mic in my Lotus Elise that would run through my stereo AUX. So much so, that I muffler deleted my C7 Grand Sport and stuck a GoPro by the tips to record for a client's project. All to make the exhaust notes more audible in the cabin, outside the car, up the street, on records etc.

So when I got the Supra I was excited to see what the ASD can do. Sure, it's not very apparent or exciting, likely due to the mic only picking a tiny frequency range in the low-mids, but I love the idea and even prefer ASD. This especially makes sense for smaller engines like a 4 or 6 that don't have alot of character in the lower rpm range unless you're wot. If anything, I want to hear my exhaust note from behind the car more than anybody else. If I can turn up the volume and widen the frequency range on that mic I would crank it.

I for one, love the idea and think it has a lot of potential. Anyone else out there with me? If not, what's your gripe with it? Why do you feel like it's corny?
Sponsored

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
This may be just me, but I feel that after I turned it off, I can hear the turbo so much better, especially on some spirited acceleration. I felt the ASD was loud enough to drown it out.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Sometimes it can be a bit obtrusive. I wish there was a way to change the "volume" on it.

My '15 Golf R had a similar feature called Soundaktor. But with VAG-COM (the Audi/VW equivalent of Bimmercode), you could change the percentage of sound from 0% (off) to 100% (full on) and anywhere in between. 40% was the sweet spot in that car.

Someone mentioned once that ours can be changed through Expert Mode, but I still haven't figured out how.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I turned it off since it affected the music that I was listening to.

Plus I have Intake, DP and exhaust and don't need fake noise

OP
OP
BirdmanShepard
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Someone mentioned once that ours can be changed through Expert Mode, but I still haven't figured out how.
I would love to find the settings in expert mode. I'm digging around as we speak. I'll let you if I come up with something.

I turned it off since it affected the music that I was listening to.

Plus I have Intake, DP and exhaust and don't need fake noise
I can see it crowding up that frequency range when playing music, its probably especially noticeable with the supra's terrible stock sound system. I upgraded to the BAV system and its still barely decent. But I don't hear a noticeable difference with ASD on or off in terms of sound quality with music playing.

I have a DP as well, but I want more sound!

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
If I can turn up the volume and widen the frequency range on that mic I would crank it.
Does the Supra actually have a mic? I thought the ASD was completely pre-recorded. I think you can use bimmercode to switch to the sound of a different engine even?

OP
OP
BirdmanShepard
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does the Supra actually have a mic? I thought the ASD was completely pre-recorded. I think you can use bimmercode to switch to the sound of a different engine even?
That's a good point. I'm not sure if it's synthesized or if its amplifying the engine/exhaust sound. Here are the four different methods BMW uses:

Passive sound generation: takes signals straight from the engine output and generates them in the car interior.
Passive and active sound generation: amplifies the exhaust input and produces a new output to enhance the carā€™s exterior sound.
Active mounts: uses inputs from the vehicleā€™s exterior and transfers vibration outputs to its interior.
Synthetic sound: generates a new sound through the interior audio system.

If it is a synthesized sound, then I would prefer to have it off. DSP technology is great, but I've yet to hear a convincing synthesized engine sound. The latest and greatest car games are a good example of how powerful current tech is, yet sound engineers have yet to recreate an organic engine sound.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
That's a good point. I'm not sure if it's synthesized or if its amplifying the engine/exhaust sound. Here are the four different methods BMW uses:

Passive sound generation: takes signals straight from the engine output and generates them in the car interior.
Passive and active sound generation: amplifies the exhaust input and produces a new output to enhance the carā€™s exterior sound.
Active mounts: uses inputs from the vehicleā€™s exterior and transfers vibration outputs to its interior.
Synthetic sound: generates a new sound through the interior audio system.

If it is a synthesized sound, then I would prefer to have it off. DSP technology is great, but I've yet to hear a convincing synthesized engine sound. The latest and greatest car games are a good example of how powerful current tech is, yet sound engineers have yet to recreate an organic engine sound.
This is exactly why most people don't like ASD. To many, it's obtrusive, annoying, affects the audio system, and it sounds fake. If it was playing back a recorded sound from the exhaust, I'd imagine less people would have an issue with it, but, to me, it just sounds bad.

Watching Youtube videos of BMWs driving around with ASD still enabled literally sounds like a BMW driving in Gran Turismo. Flat, lifeless, and without character. The only reason it's passable, is because it can sound decent when combined with the exhaust noise you hear. If you go all out on sound deadening in the car, the ASD sounds horrible.

Additionally, if you add an aftermarket amp to the system, ASD also increases in volume, and then it's extremely irritating, and unbearable to some.

ASD is a decent concept (at best), to address the ever-quieting exhaust tone of European cars. Between the growing sound regulations, exhaust OPFs, etc. they have, your typical performance car there has gotten very quiet. Without ASD, it's a LOT more boring than what we get here in the US. They need *something* to instill that same spirit, even if it's imperfect.

On another note, with the Soundaktor on my wife's Golf R - which is literally just a device that sits against the firewall, under the cowl, and rumbles - that sound translates to the mic during phone calls. It used to sound like my wife was driving around with a little kid in the car making vroom-vroom noises. It was hilarious.

The BRZ/86 have the best solution I've heard so far - piping in real engine sound, from the intake side. It definitely makes the car sound more lively when you're in the passenger compartment, without resorting to fake noise, or a loud exhaust.

To your last point - apparently the exhaust sounds in Forza Horizon 5 are supposed to be something to behold. They've said that before, but I've read that it puts basically everything else out there to shame. Here's to hoping.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
ASD in the Supra is a synthesized signal derived from various sampled parameters and then overlayed on top of the audio signal...I disabled this "feature" well over a year ago because it actually distorts and muddies the audio signal...I'm also not a fan of faux and gimmicky features such as ASD...To each their own I suppose...

Here is an explanation and diagram of our ASD system in our Supra shown below:

Active sound design description.jpg

Active sound design description 2.jpg

AMP ASD Diagram Supra.jpg

OP
OP
BirdmanShepard
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To your last point - apparently the exhaust sounds in Forza Horizon 5 are supposed to be something to behold. They've said that before, but I've read that it puts basically everything else out there to shame. Here's to hoping.
I think its certainly a big step up. It's still not a generational leap though imo. Still sounds like they're relying heavily on a doppler effect.

ASD in the Supra is a synthesized signal ...
Yup, unfortunately. Just realized that. In this case, I have to agree, it's not something I'd keep on. If it was pumping the actual engine sound, would have been a different story.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I for one, love the idea and think it has a lot of potential. Anyone else out there with me? If not, what's your gripe with it? Why do you feel like it's corny?
I added a 15ā€ subwoofer and the piped-in sound going to it that was calibrated to the unambitious stock subs was brutal. Granted, an issue few will face, but thatā€™s part of why I axed it. Fake engine sounds jacked up on creatine and dynamite.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I think its certainly a big step up. It's still not a generational leap though imo. Still sounds like they're relying heavily on a doppler effect.

Yup, unfortunately. Just realized that. In this case, I have to agree, it's not something I'd keep on. If it was pumping the actual engine sound, would have been a different story.
Thanks! I hadn't watched the video before now. Sounds like they finally got the sound right for each engine - but like you said, not a generational leap. Definitely a huge step in the right direction!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The main issue for me is that you can't turn ASD off. It's just mind-boggling that I can turn off traction control, I can adjust engine braking, I can change suspension dampening, but I can't turn off active sound design. I like it, but I should be able to turn it off without having to go to the aftermarket to do that. It's not like we're asking to change brake bias or differential locking--it is 100% costless to BMW to make ASD an on/off feature.

That said, I think ASD makes total sense for other cars that sound unpleasant or just have a lot of valvetrain noise (think 2.0 naturally aspirated four cylinders).

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
The main issue for me is that you can't turn ASD off. It's just mind-boggling that I can turn off traction control, I can adjust engine braking, I can change suspension dampening, but I can't turn off active sound design. I like it, but I should be able to turn it off without having to go to the aftermarket to do that. It's not like we're asking to change brake bias or differential locking--it is 100% costless to BMW to make ASD an on/off feature.

That said, I think ASD makes total sense for other cars that sound unpleasant or just have a lot of valvetrain noise (think 2.0 naturally aspirated four cylinders).
Come on, itā€™s just a BMW. You canā€™t expect for them to have all of the options a Hyundai has! o_O
Sponsored