AMG GT reviews are out!

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
I've been waiting for these reviews for a while. AMG cars been on a roll lately so its good to see them come out and go right after the 911, which I find boring.

This one's from Jalopnik. My favorite part:

http://jalopnik.com/first-drive-mercedes-amg-gt-isnt-a-911-fighter-its-mo-1657733025

"I have a problem. I've never managed to keep the throttle floored the entire stretch of Laguna Seca's front straight in anything over 500 horsepower. It's practically my home track, but as soon as I start climbing that crest, self-preservation kicks in and I lift. Every. Damn. Time. That changed in the Mercedes-AMG GT."

"Mercedes makes perfectly good GT cars. AMG makes completely nutty barn-burners. But the GT is different. It's not a gullwinged supercar or some over-endowed sedan with more power than prowess. It's a proper sports car in the most traditional sense."

"The AMG Ride Control adapts the suspension, steering, throttle, and traction control through one of four settings: Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus, along with Race, available on the GT S model. Comfort is king on the highway and even through some of the twisties, providing ample feedback and an unwavering sense of control. But flicking over to Sport tightens everything up, and pressing the exhaust button makes every lift and downshift a snorting, snarling, piss-off-anyone-within-earshot affair. Yes, it is glorious."
Sponsored

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
What's funny is that there's still people that would buy a 911 over this just for the badge snobbery.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
What's funny is that there's still people that would buy a 911 over this just for the badge snobbery.
The 911 clearly sets the bar year after year so that might also be why someone buys it :) BUt yea it's the safe and unimaginative choice. The AMG GT and F Type Coupe R and used R8 are much sexier choices. If only I had the type of $ to have this dillemma :(

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
Did you read the specs? It weighs over 3600 pounds and that's around 300 pounds more than the 991 911 S so the AMG may match

They listed weight at a bit over 3600 pounds, or around 250-300 lbs heavier than the 991S. It may end up having same or even better track numbers, but doesn't mean it'll feel as agile or light to drive.

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
Did you read the specs? It weighs over 3600 pounds and that's around 300 pounds more than the 991 911 S so the AMG may match

They listed weight at a bit over 3600 pounds, or around 250-300 lbs heavier than the 991S. It may end up having same or even better track numbers, but doesn't mean it'll feel as agile or light to drive.
You have the wrong stats there... the AMG GT weighs 3395lbs and the GT-S version weigh 3461lbs so it's nearly same weight as 911.

500strong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
911 is the safe choice you know what you're getting since they've kept the formula and styling more or less the same generation after generation but cars like the AMG GT and F Type are the much more exciting choice. Plus theres so many 911's out there and not going to be nearly as many AMG GT.

MATT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 ACCORD
I don't care about track times of any other bench racing measure I just care that the car is fun to drive and I bet you 95% of the population would find the AMG GT more fun to drive (yea yea I haven't driven it but I've driven plenty other AMGs). All that torque and sound is hard to beat, even for a a911.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
What a freaking gorgeous car!! I need more $ :banghead:

paris-c-085.jpg

paris-c-102.jpg

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Hydraulic steering! AMG you have my respect.

The 991 911 has supposedly the best electric steering in the world but even the best of those can't touch the best hydraulic racks.

I think I could stop renting and live in this car with an interior like that. :D

OP
OP
daboss

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
I've been following the reviews out there and most are saying that it's still not quite as precise as the 911 and that its harsher around town but it's a pure animal and sounds like it. So AMG stuck to their DNA while closing the gap to the 911 it sounds like. As precise as the 911 is some people say it's too clinical. The AMG GT sounds like the perfect opposite of it.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
Don't like the styling.... that hood is way too long and the cabin is way too back.
For this price I'd rather have something that's rear or mid engined.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
AMG Boss Says GT Convertible, Black Series and One More Model Coming

Mercedes-AMG-GT-Roadster-25.jpg

Mercedes-Benz's AMG sports division has been quietly expanding towards every direction these past years and it plans to keep that momentum going.

US magazine Caranddriver sat down with AMG chairman Tobias Moers during the Los Angeles Auto Show press days last week and learned some fresh details about the sub-brands upcoming products.

The publication says that Moers did not deny that an AMG GT Convertible is "on the way", which comes as a bit of surprise since many reports claimed that Mercedes had ruled out an open top version for a number of reasons, namely to avoid competition with the two-seater SL roadster and because of dwindling sales of convertible models.

Moers also confirmed that there will be a hardcore AMG GT Black Series edition “but more later than sooner. Before the Black Series, there will be a nice car.”

Asked if the mystery addition he referred to was some sort of GT3/Cup-type machine, he replied: “We had a close look at a Cup series, but I don’t know if we can make it. It’s complicated to tell today.” C&D believes that the third model will be a new production edition slotting between the GT S and the upcoming Black Series.

Currently, the AMG GT is offered in two versions, a base model with 462PS and the S with a 510PS iteration of Merc's new twin-turbo V8.

Speaking of the 4.0-liter turbocharged lump that also powers the latest C63 AMG Sedan and Estate, Moers told the magazine that “Nobody will miss the good old 6.2-liter naturally aspirated engine”, but he backtracked when C&D said that a lot of people already miss it, stating, “It’s a nice engine, yeah.”

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/amg-boss-says-gt-convertible-black.html
Sponsored