Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
If people are so ignorant that they will not properly educate themselves about a car, then no, I couldn't care less. I think you greatly overvalue dipshit YouTube reviewers. People who rely upon clickbait BS are not the people buying expensive cars.
I mean who do you consider a dipshit Youtube reviewer? Chris Harris? Matt Farah? These are people who have been big names in the industry before youtube and they have said things like "this is just a BMW" "its basically a Z4" (not word for word but you get the jist). Even Car and Drivers initial review of the car throws doubt that the Supra was co-designed by the two companies.

These reviewers are the root of the issue. The clickbaity youtube reviewers are a symptom of the big names saying these things and the smaller youtubers just rely on that sort of comment and ride the wave. In fact its a smaller youtube reviewer channel that actually was the first time on youtube where i learned that Toyota had a lot more to do with the platform development than i had originally read about.

While you may not rely on youtube reviews when you research your car, there are plenty of people who do. Hell many of the non-owners on this forum are constantly linking these exact reviews you throw shade at because they want to know if what the reviewer is saying is true. I'm not asking you personally to care, however i do feel like reviewers themselves (big or small) should take it upon themselves to be less dramatic when making specific statements that could potentially alter the perception of the vehicle. If you notice, when the BRZ/86 came out, people only really ever talked about the fun you have driving it, the great handeling and the lack of power. People didnt care that pretty much everything else was from Subaru. And because of that, there doesnt seem to be this identity crisis with that car like there seems to be with this one.
Sponsored

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I think what it really is, is that noone calls the 86, a BRZ with Toyota styling. The 86 and BRZ are literally twins, and yet noone seems to jump at the chance when they see an 86 to point and yell "Subaru!". For whatever reason, people love to just pretend like all Toyota did was pay BMW to give them a car and then called it the Supra.
Were you living under a rock in 2011/12? When the 86 aka FR-S was first released the internet and haters trolled it hard as a "rebadge Subaru with a Toyota logo".

We only get these cars if companies see that we're buying them. A reviewer can very easily turn away plenty of sales due to misinformation, and who knows, maybe that last 1000 sales is the difference that makes the company say whether or not they will ever make another sports car again.
Sales are pretty strong so far. It will most likely surpass the total number of A80s in just a few months time. I think the real sales killer are retarded stealerships with their outrageous mark ups and their refusal to let people even take one out for a test drive.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
I think Toyota could have just avoid a lot of this drama and controversy by calling it something else. Maybe 2000GT? :dunno:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Sales are pretty strong so far. It will most likely surpass the total number of A80s in just a few months time. I think the real sales killer are retarded stealerships with their outrageous mark ups and their refusal to let people even take one out for a test drive.
AutoNation Toyota at Gulf Freeway wouldn't even let me sit in one last year to do a video for the local forum and Facebook group. The lady at the front made a big about even letting me in to at least take some pics. :rolleyes:

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
Were you living under a rock in 2011/12? When the 86 aka FR-S was first released the internet and haters trolled it hard as a "rebadge Subaru with a Toyota logo".

You hit the point. I was able to test drive Lexus cars but the Supra they want to talk numbers first before allowing :(.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000

No you're right you actually make a good point. During that time i was in no position to be buying a new car much less a sports car so i didnt really keep up with car news during that time. I guess that sentiment may have just died out by the time i got around to buying myself one.

Yeah i dont doubt sales are strong now, and i'm glad they are. i do agree that probably the #1 reason people stop looking at a car is because of shitty dealerships.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
You hit the point. I was able to test drive Lexus cars but the Supra they want to talk numbers first before allowing :(.
Same here, my family and I had a way better experience at our local Lexus dealer. Westside Lexus let me take pics and sit inside of their $400k LFA just a few years back when picking up our RX, but somehow a $50k Toyota is off limits. ?

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Sales are strong. Toyota can’t keep them in stock. So, why are people worried about internet trolls hurting sales?
I think the 3.0 2021's are moving just fine, but some dealers had an issue moving the left over 2020's, hence the heavy discounts. According to a dealer manager in TX people have little interest their 2.0s (surprise surprise).

Sadly you're not the only one that had this issue.

Yeah i dont doubt sales are strong now, and i'm glad they are. i do agree that probably the #1 reason people stop looking at a car is because of shitty dealerships.
That and probably the upcoming new Z. ;)

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I mean who do you consider a dipshit Youtube reviewer? Chris Harris? Matt Farah? These are people who have been big names in the industry before youtube and they have said things like "this is just a BMW" "its basically a Z4" (not word for word but you get the jist). Even Car and Drivers initial review of the car throws doubt that the Supra was co-designed by the two companies.

These reviewers are the root of the issue. The clickbaity youtube reviewers are a symptom of the big names saying these things and the smaller youtubers just rely on that sort of comment and ride the wave. In fact its a smaller youtube reviewer channel that actually was the first time on youtube where i learned that Toyota had a lot more to do with the platform development than i had originally read about.

While you may not rely on youtube reviews when you research your car, there are plenty of people who do. Hell many of the non-owners on this forum are constantly linking these exact reviews you throw shade at because they want to know if what the reviewer is saying is true. I'm not asking you personally to care, however i do feel like reviewers themselves (big or small) should take it upon themselves to be less dramatic when making specific statements that could potentially alter the perception of the vehicle. If you notice, when the BRZ/86 came out, people only really ever talked about the fun you have driving it, the great handeling and the lack of power. People didnt care that pretty much everything else was from Subaru. And because of that, there doesnt seem to be this identity crisis with that car like there seems to be with this one.
I agree with you on this, I remember listening to a Smoking Tire podcast episode right before his 2021 review. He was actually speaking highly of the Supra and didn't understand the hate, got barley any views. Then in his 2021 review all he kept saying was its a BMW and not a Supra.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
For the no test drive rule I like to look at it from the dealerships perspective, no salesperson will say it to your face but they don't want their time wasted by people who aren't even looking to buy. Imo if you're looking for a sports car, you know exactly what you want so a test drive won't make or break that decision, just a quick sit down to make sure your ass actually fits.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you on this, I remember listening to a Smoking Tire podcast episode right before his 2021 review. He was actually speaking highly of the Supra and didn't understand the hate, got barley any views. Then in his 2021 review all he kept saying was its a BMW and not a Supra.
I don't know why some of you guys get really heated with the BMW comments. Technically, it is. So what? It's still a fun as hell car.