Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
Yes. Shockingly, contract manufacturers usually produce lower quality than OEM plants.
Reasons: lower wages, lower skilled employees/workers, lots of temporary staff, no brand affiliation, dissatisfaction, complex hierachy, line of communication & problem solving processes,...

So out of a few possible production sites (Toyota plant/Japan; BMW plant/Germany; Contract manufacturer/Austria), they chose the worst one. Mixed with pure BMW tech, this is not something you want to keep after the warranty expired.
I just searched cars produced at Magna Steyr and apparently the current cars are:

All of which are from more luxury brands and would be expected to have good build quality, especially the G-Class with the new ones starting at over £140,000!
Sponsored

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I know, right? What have those Toyota engineers been doing for the last few years?
That's something I'm curious to know as well. So far, we know they..
- Quality checked BMW parts
- Helped tuning the suspension
- Did their own engine tuning, even though specs are the same as a 2015 340i.
- Sent their design requirements for the Supra interior and exterior to BMW
- Found out through focus groups that Supra fans want a BMW I6 and don't care about manual transmissions
Anything else?

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
I don't think people really like to complain for the hell of it. That's where you're wrong. There isn't a thin line with people (car enthusiasts) when it comes to sports cars. We, myself included, know what we want and just like when the FT-1 was released, majority of the car community was extremely excited. First impressions are key and that thing off the bat, made jaw's drop. It's all about the details and if you're ok with mediocracy (glad that it was developed at all) then that's the problem and the reason why boring cars exist.

First off, many these so called "car enthusiasts" that hate this new Supra lack the understanding of the politics of what being a successful modern day manufacturer has become. Not only that but NOBODY HAS EVEN DRIVEN THE CAR YET. When ANYTHING new comes out it is only human nature to criticize anything new, as finding flaws is easier then anything else for us its simply human nature. Look at almost any post 2000's sports cars that are in the "affordable" bracket wether it's Mustangs, Camaros, 370's, etc and I would guarantee theres a healthy amount of resistance to change. Considering just how much popularity there is for the supra worldwide 25 years after it was released I'm not overly surprised that theres an equal amount of bad initial publicity for it.

The major consensus is that we want something as close to what was made over 25 years ago by Toyota, myself included. But in an environment where profit, steady sales and reliability of the more "mediocre" models is the focus to a massively successful automotive company quite frankly there is no room to develop sports cars at an "everyman" price level without incurring massive losses or cost cutting. This is a huge part of the reason that Toyota teamed up with BMW in the first place, without this partnership a fully in house designed vehicle would be significantly more, and thats assuming it makes it past these penny pinching committees. The bottom line is that we can't have our cake and eat it too.

In conclusion, yes I think that we should really appreciate the fact that in a world where ev's and autonomous driving, and "mediocrity" is beginning to take the reigns that this Supra project even made it past the concept phase. When to remain Finanially successful Toyota really didn't have to go to the trouble of even considering to revive the Supra. As I have said in many other threads this is just an initial "base" model good things will come to those who are patient. More enthusiast based models are on the way. that I'm confident will clear up much of this initial hate.

Chuck Mason

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 4Runner TRD Off Road
That's something I'm curious to know as well. So far, we know they..
- Quality checked BMW parts
- Helped tuning the suspension
- Did their own engine tuning, even though specs are the same as a 2015 340i.
- Sent their design requirements for the Supra interior and exterior to BMW
- Found out through focus groups that Supra fans want a BMW I6 and don't care about manual transmissions
Anything else?

LoL :lol:

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
I've grown up in the 90's and owned most jap cars produced in that era. In its standard form the A80 Supra was an absolute amazing car, to this day a healthy drive-train in that vehicle is exceptionally fun to drive. My stance on the overall vehicle is that the design looks good - I am not entirely fond of the drivetrain nor the engine used. Never the less this car shouldn't be called a Supra as it completely goes against it's predecessor the A80.

Here's some of what's missing:

1. Driver oriented cockpit, don't even say that the A90 is driver oriented because of a little bit of red stitching on the door.
2. Manual drivetrain.
3. Under-powered stock engine.
4. Not a big one but the targa top.

What I really liked about the A80 is that they completely went out of their comfort zone and produced something incredible in that day and age, they tested the boundaries and made something out of pure passion. The A90 feels the complete opposite, At-least 50% or more of the vehicle has been put together by BMW (engine, interior & parts of the drive train). I don't dislike BMW for any reason but I simply find it odd that you would attach the "Supra" name which has such a pure legacy to a vehicle that is moreso developed by another company.

Regardless if this is the last time we'll see a 'sports car' from Toyota in this form, it should give Toyota even better reason to produce something better *IMO* than the A80 of this generation. So whoever commented about this being one of Toyota's last sports cars and that we should feel special that they've given us a shit car - STFU please.

How does a new generation Corolla inherent a manual gearbox while the Supra doesn't... I get the whole 'new generation', 'new safety', 'new regulations' thing and from this stand point this car shouldn't be called a Supra - period. Don't ruin a what was once a great legacy with trash.

Reactions: MT6

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra is back! But in fact, this will be the very first Supra that I can actually buy and drive. When the A80 Supra was launched, I was still a kid. What I could do then was playing it in video games as well as watching it on the big screen, just like Fast and Furious movie. So I’m excited! :yes:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

1. Driver oriented cockpit, don't even say that the A90 is driver oriented because of a little bit of red stitching on the door.
I agree the interior will never be as cool as the mkiv's. But I have to disagree on driver oriented, instead of airplane cockpit feel they went with more of a single-seat, open cockpit race car approach. If you look at the interior like this, you can see what they were trying to do to accomplish their goal with the door panel and center console hugging the driver (whether or not they executed it well is a different question.)
3AAD5E2100000578-3961578-image-a-14_1479892671677.jpg

2020_supra_launch_interior_01_acc26efec91d2bda85033757d4245ed526a9f7b6-jpg.jpg

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've grown up in the 90's and owned most jap cars produced in that era. In its standard form the A80 Supra was an absolute amazing car, to this day a healthy drive-train in that vehicle is exceptionally fun to drive. My stance on the overall vehicle is that the design looks good - I am not entirely fond of the drivetrain nor the engine used. Never the less this car shouldn't be called a Supra as it completely goes against it's predecessor the A80.

2. Manual drivetrain.
3. Under-powered stock engine.
4. Not a big one but the targa top.

What I really liked about the A80 is that they completely went out of their comfort zone and produced something incredible in that day and age, they tested the boundaries and made something out of pure passion. The A90 feels the complete opposite, At-least 50% or more of the vehicle has been put together by BMW (engine, interior & parts of the drive train). I don't dislike BMW for any reason but I simply find it odd that you would attach the "Supra" name which has such a pure legacy to a vehicle that is moreso developed by another company.

Regardless if this is the last time we'll see a 'sports car' from Toyota in this form, it should give Toyota even better reason to produce something better *IMO* than the A80 of this generation. So whoever commented about this being one of Toyota's last sports cars and that we should feel special that they've given us a shit car - STFU please.

How does a new generation Corolla inherent a manual gearbox while the Supra doesn't... I get the whole 'new generation', 'new safety', 'new regulations' thing and from this stand point this car shouldn't be called a Supra - period. Don't ruin a what was once a great legacy with trash.
Here we go. People's definition of a "Supra"

I can't even complain about the manual since Tada noted since early 2018 there wouldn't be any and plenty of reasons why, or the driver cockpit since that feels tacky to me. But to say the engine is under-powered when it has way more torque and has more power than the 2jz? Did you eve check the stats?

The 2000GT had its engine developed by Yamaha, the MKIV had the engine helped by Yamaha, and their transmission was gifted by Getrag. Toyota outsources their work but they never just throw these parts in without it going through them as the middlemen. If Toyota wanted to sell this car at 50k and somehow make a profit, they would need a lot of help and BMW was there to assist.

Also, you can't compare a Corolla manual in a car price in the 18k area that barely makes power as it is to a Supra built for racing and needing to handle all that torque and potentially handle more power from a few bolt ons and a tune. A sturdy, heavy manual is needed after some extensive R&D.

This is Toyota's last petrol sports car they didn't even need to make since they would take a loss and it would be ashamed it goes out without people giving it a chance because they can't let the past go and see what the present holds for them

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here we go. People's definition of a "Supra"

I can't even complain about the manual since Tada noted since early 2018 there wouldn't be any and plenty of reasons why, or the driver cockpit since that feels tacky to me. But to say the engine is under-powered when it has way more torque and has more power than the 2jz? Did you eve check the stats?

The 2000GT had its engine developed by Yamaha, the MKIV had the engine helped by Yamaha, and their transmission was gifted by Getrag. Toyota outsources their work but they never just throw these parts in without it going through them as the middlemen. If Toyota wanted to sell this car at 50k and somehow make a profit, they would need a lot of help and BMW was there to assist.

Also, you can't compare a Corolla manual in a car price in the 18k area that barely makes power as it is to a Supra built for racing and needing to handle all that torque and potentially handle more power from a few bolt ons and a tune. A sturdy, heavy manual is needed after some extensive R&D.

This is Toyota's last petrol sports car they didn't even need to make since they would take a loss and it would be ashamed it goes out without people giving it a chance because they can't let the past go and see what the present holds for them
Agree. I don’t think the B58 engine from BMW is underpowered. I believe the main reason why Toyota didn’t go on par with the Z4’s 382hp is because of reliability issues. It’s reliability over hp in Toyota’s case.

Manual Supra...if there’s a business case for Toyota to make it, I believe they will. It will take some time though. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is Toyota’s last present to petrol heads. We don’t know what the future holds, or if there will be another Supra(or any new Toyota sports car) in the future. Enjoy it while we can. :drive:

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I should add the new Supra wasn't benchmarked after the A80. 718 Cayman was what they were gunning for. This new Supra draws inspiration from all generations of Supra, even the 2000GT. I believe it is a Supra because it has design cues that is definitely from Supra lineage, it has a straight 6 turbo, and it even sounds like a Supra. I think people need to drive the car before any harsh judgement is passed. Still needs a manual, interior is subjective to everyone, targa may come later.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I should add the new Supra wasn't benchmarked after the A80. 718 Cayman was what they were gunning for. This new Supra draws inspiration from all generations of Supra, even the 2000GT. I believe it is a Supra because it has design cues that is definitely from Supra lineage, it has a straight 6 turbo, and it even sounds like a Supra. I think people need to drive the car before any harsh judgement is passed. Still needs a manual, interior is subjective to everyone, targa may come later.
Drive? WHat do you mean? I can determine how the car feels and drive from stat sheets alone!
Sponsored