Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

JDMMA70

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 Supra Turbo, 2000 Miata
I was around in the 90s and remember the MK4 very vividly. I also remember the MK3 of the 80s being compared by Road & Track and Car and Driver to the Porsche 944 and 928. People like to forget that for some reason. What people tend to forget is that the Supra wasn't the only car trying to compete with the more expensive European cars. The Z32, 3000GT VR4, and RX-7 were as well. However people dont remember them as well as they do the Supra. Not because they werent good cars, but the aftermarket support for them in the US couldnt compare to what the Supra was achieving. So once again if you were to throw away the aftermarket support, and the big power builds, not many would remember this car execept for those that truly appreciated it for what it was.

As for your last question, its simple for a number of reasons, the Eclipse at the time wasn't making ridiculous amounts of power with the aftermarket with as much ease as it was with the Supras. It wasnt the car the youth remember, it wasnt the car people ran to because it didn't beat a Ferrari on screen, it wasn't the car that defeated a drag prepped Charger, it wasnt the car taking down heavily modified domestics with just a bolt on turbo kit, it wasnt the car that they watched on Best Motoring taking down an F40 or a McLaren F1. As far as value is concerned clean stock GSX and GS-Ts have gone up in value or at least held their value. The youth didnt care it was almost as fast as a 355 at the time. They cared about it beating that Aventador, they care about that 1600hp dyno. The youth and those that grew up in that era today dont care about a stock MK4 or what it was capable of 25yrs ago.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I was around in the 90s and remember the MK4 very vividly. I also remember the MK3 of the 80s being compared by Road & Track and Car and Driver to the Porsche 944 and 928. People like to forget that for some reason. What people tend to forget is that the Supra wasn't the only car trying to compete with the more expensive European cars. The Z32, 3000GT VR4, and RX-7 were as well. However people dont remember them as well as they do the Supra. Not because they werent good cars, but the aftermarket support for them in the US couldnt compare to what the Supra was achieving. So once again if you were to throw away the aftermarket support, and the big power builds, not many would remember this car execept for those that truly appreciated it for what it was.

As for your last question, its simple for a number of reasons, the Eclipse at the time wasn't making ridiculous amounts of power with the aftermarket with as much ease as it was with the Supras. It wasnt the car the youth remember, it wasnt the car people ran to because it didn't beat a Ferrari on screen, it wasn't the car that defeated a drag prepped Charger, it wasnt the car taking down heavily modified domestics
with just a bolt on turbo kit, it wasnt the car that they watched on Best Motoring taking down an F40 or a McLaren F1. As far as value is concerned clean stock GSX and GS-Ts have gone up in value or at least held their value. The youth didnt care it was almost as fast as a 355 at the time. They cared about it beating that Aventador, they care about that 1600hp dyno. The youth and those that grew up in that era today dont care about a stock MK4 or what it was capable of 25yrs ago.
Good to know. I thought I was talking to some millennial kid who grew up on Grand Turismo, Need for Speed, FnF and Forza. :D

With the aftermarket comment, you're looking at from the wrong angle. Toyota gained popularity and made an impact because their marketing in the 80's was huge; "I love what you do for me" to the "Oh what a feeling" Toyota jump, 22R engines, trucks with SAS, 3TC engines, Back to the Future "check out that 4x4... man that thing is hot...", headquarters in Southern California, Ivan Ironman Stewart, Pace cars etc.

Their cars not only looked good but they were bullet proof. The same aftermarket parts were where available to the other Japanese cars but they had their own weak links; esp the Rotary engines, weight or transmission. Adam Sawatari's RX-7 dominated the scene for a long time, the Puerto Ricans were running Rotary powered cars, David Buscher with his Eclipse GSX's. The big power builds didn't come into the picture until later, early 2000's with E85 and dyno tuning. Before that, Supra's even in stock form were the "wow" car.

Last edited:

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
I'm not sure if you were around in the 90's to remember, the MKIV went up against the big boys and made a valiant impression. It's very ignorant when people say FnF made the Supra. Why hasn't Mitsubishi Eclipse gone up in value then since that's what Brian drove as well. It didn't make the Supra a legend, it was already a legend by the end of 1993.

rt893_01.jpg

rt893_02.jpg

rt893_03.jpg

rt893_04.jpg

rt893_05.jpg

rt893_06.jpg

rt893_07.jpg

rt893_08.jpg

Thank you!!! I have been getting annoyed with the fact that people seem to forget the mkiv Supra was Toyotas passion at the time and they wanted to prove what they could do. The mkiv Supra is a legend for that exact reason. Unfortunately Toyota could care less now and decided to let BMW build the next Supra. I hope the car does well and it looks like a great car, but they shouldnt have called it a Supra

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!!! I have been getting annoyed with the fact that people seem to forget the mkiv Supra was Toyotas passion at the time and they wanted to prove what they could do. The mkiv Supra is a legend for that exact reason. Unfortunately Toyota could care less now and decided to let BMW build the next Supra. I hope the car does well and it looks like a great car, but they shouldnt have called it a Supra
I don't think that's a fair assessment. Toyota built this car right now because there probably will not be a next time. This was their last chance before emission regulations and rising gas prices shut the door on our internal combustion powered past.

This also meant they did not have the chance to take their sweet time, and instead built us the best car they could with the time they had. Think about it. Even if the engine is not a Toyota, look at the chassis. It is stiffer than an LFA, has a super low CoG, yet manages to stay relatively light, and is about $325,000 cheaper than the LFA.

-sorry for the wording, I'm very tired.

Last edited:

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
People don't take into account the politics involved with developing a new platform that financially is a drop in the bucket profit wise and requires substantial resources to develop. I understand why things have been done the way they have and quite frankly I'm just glad that this car has been developed at all.

These people LOVE complaining, comparing and all the rest of it as always this results in prejudgement with absolutely zero logical reasoning. I would say 85% of people commenting have NEVER had any experience with a Supra and are in no financial position to own one. Just wait a few years, I'm sure the same nay sayers will be massive fanboys.

This whole argument is incredibly old and has been happening since this car has been a marshmallow looking mule and even back then people were joining up here for a week to cry wolf. Be patient, the best is yet to come.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I for one was really disappointed about the lack of Toyotas involvment. Instead of a balanced job split between Toyota and BMW, the end product is 99% BMW tech, assembled on a third party line (which will be even worse than a BMW plant in regards to build quality). People really shouldn't defend Toyota for their lazy badge engineering and outsourcing practices.
That’s an interesting interpretation of information.

BMW’s most reliable car is also built at Magna Steyr, G30 5 series, and is second in its class for reliability falling just short of the Lexus GS.

It’s easy to say they’re being lazy if you have never been a part of a team before. You can call Peyton Manning lazy for never wanting to block during kick off returns, or you could access the situation as they put him in as QB because that’s his specialty

First Name
Rain
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 W211 E550, 2005 4Runner
I'm happy they finally released the car however at the same time I also feel short handed by Toyota for a company that made all this effort into developing the LF-A, the F Sport Program and had to outsource it to BMW to release this car, I'm puzzled, I mean even MB made an effort on there own to bring back the Inline 6 they could've redrawn the 2JZ to maybe fit it with a DI. I'm sorry I don't buy this electric and emissions politics bs thing if our country's infrastructure is going down the drain. I hope you guys can understand my mixed feelings on this one.

First Name
Rain
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
People don't take into account the politics involved with developing a new platform that financially is a drop in the bucket profit wise and requires substantial resources to develop. I understand why things have been done the way they have and quite frankly I'm just glad that this car has been developed at all.

These people LOVE complaining, comparing and all the rest of it as always this results in prejudgement with absolutely zero logical reasoning. I would say 85% of people commenting have NEVER had any experience with a Supra and are in no financial position to own one. Just wait a few years, I'm sure the same nay sayers will be massive fanboys.

This whole argument is incredibly old and has been happening since this car has been a marshmallow looking mule and even back then people were joining up here for a week to cry wolf. Be patient, the best is yet to come.
I get it but it's hard to wrap around my mind when you brag and make all this effort into F1 Racing, LFA and even GR racing efforts then rely on BMW to do the work instead. The 86/BRZ at least to an certain extend still had some imprints on Toyota like the DI and the Automatic Slushbox based off the Aisin.

First Name
Rain
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I personally have not had much experience with the Supra. But I have had a lot with both the RX-

It’s all about time. Do you know how long it took to build the LFA?
9 Years right. Perhaps many were expecting Toyota to build off that LF-A just like how they did it with the Toyota 2000GT.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
You're welcome. Do you recall ever seeing the Toyota Supra brochure where it stated the target buyer for the MKIV. Someone scanned it and posted it on MKIV.com or on SF but I couldn't find it. It was someone of caucasian decent with a professional career or something like that. :rofl:

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Toyota built this car right now because there probably will not be a next time. This was their last chance before emission regulations and rising gas prices shut the door on our internal combustion powered past.

This also meant they did not have the chance to take their sweet time, and instead built us the best car they could with the time they had. Think about it. Even if the engine is not a Toyota, look at the chassis. It is stiffer than an LFA, has a super low CoG, yet manages to stay relatively light, and is about $325,000 cheaper than the LFA.

-sorry for the wording, I'm very tired.

I don't think people really like to complain for the hell of it. That's where you're wrong. There isn't a thin line with people (car enthusiasts) when it comes to sports cars. We, myself included, know what we want and just like when the FT-1 was released, majority of the car community was extremely excited. First impressions are key and that thing off the bat, made jaw's drop. It's all about the details and if you're ok with mediocracy (glad that it was developed at all) then that's the problem and the reason why boring cars exist.

First Name
Rain
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think a comforting thought with this car is not Toyota making a 50k GT86, but Toyota making a 50k 911. The weight and specs are within spitting distance with one another, and I think that was the goal. Not a bad one at all.
I'll take some comfort that this car is lighter than the A80, A70 Supra those were tanks at 3400-3700 pounds.
Sponsored