Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
The chief engineer built the car with the same basis as the other supras with the 3.0 I6. He wanted a cheaper car that will do better for sales than the mkiv. He feels its worthy of the Supra name badge and from what I can see he added alot of heritage to the car to go along atleast with the mkiv. I'm not thrilled it's a BMW powertrain but I'm buying one regardless. I do like the power it makes with minimal mods vs the mkiv. I think it's different than the others but so far think it's worth the name badge.
He did? He built the car? Are you sure?

Glad you got one, I'd love to drive one some day. Seems like a fun well made car and a good option for some people.

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bottom line the chief engineer thought it had enough Supra character to call it a supra. I'm hoping this is true. We will see come July 22nd
You dont think he just said that because you know...he literally couldn't say the opposite of that. End of the day they want to sell sheet metal.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
You dont think he just said that because you know...he literally couldn't say the opposite of that. End of the day they want to sell sheet metal.
Toyota is a business, that's what they do. They improved the car in every quantitative way, what more do you want?

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
We will see. It was between this and a mustang gt. Everybody and their grandma owns a mustang. And the excitement factor of a mustang wasnt doing it for me. I always liked the 86 just too slow for me. This fits the bill.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
This is the FASTEST car Toyota has Ever put their name on. I dont see the problem. 5 to 10 years from now things are going to be electric. What if the supra becomes an incredible track monster but is all electric. Will it not stand up to your legendary SUPRA name badge. I get what supra name badge means but they couldn't build a car with 1990 technology.
^^ This. Toyotawild's prediction will happen eventually. Just not at current time. To get a Supra car design into sales before several global regulations would have made a loud, non-hybrid gas-turbocharged inline six Supra in a chassis that isn't bloated and laden with semi-autonomous functions with at least the possibility of a stick shift impossible... Toyota took a drastic measure to cut several years out of the development cycle AND keep it stickered around $50k or so.

Stock for stock it's much faster than an MKIV TT. And literally no one is complaining about the performance of MKIV TT's to begin with.

In time a lot of offerings by auto manufacturers are going to change and I am not convinced that we as car enthusiasts and people who plainly love to drive and modify interesting machines are going to like all of them. There is hope for many good FUN driver oriented things like Supras in the electrified car future we're heading into but it won't be the same as the 2JZ dominating world or even variations on BMW's turbo inline sixes.

At current time... we actually have a Supra that is true to the design and specification philosophies that Toyota has traditionally built them with. A few options and variants are currently missing as of the first model year (*cough* MANUAL GEARBOX *cough*) but other than that and the regulatory and sportscar market decline pickle that Toyota found themselves in they have done an admirable job bringing out another generation.

If only they had started on the purist I-6 turbo MKV Supra project (and the GT86 as well) as far back as 2005-2007 (remember, the MKV project officially started in 2012) we *might* just have seen an all-Toyota Supra MKV. It might still have cost $80k-$100k BASE MSRP but it would have been possible.

But back then despite a rumor here and there Toyota just wasn't interested. They were too busy killing off the last remnants of their truly fun inline six turbo vehicles in 2005-2007. They hadn't yet realized as a company that precious time was wasting before they would not be able to make just anything they wanted to at a certain point.

The reality is that most if not all of the niche type sports cars that we love other than those based on high volume pedestrian chassis (Impreza & WRX for instance) are going to be built through joint manufacturer collaborations like this one. The way regulations and the market are going are necessitating this.

It's utterly stupid and unthinkable to me that we'd ever have a world in which any car manufacturer doesn't make their own bespoke high performance fun models in between their volume boring as hell SUV/CUV blob crapboxes soon to be replaced with even more boring and uninvolving semi-autonomous versions of those crapboxes but that is exactly the automotive world we live in today.

Right now we're still in the part of that era where almost-purist non-electrified fun machines are still made. And the Supra MKV is an impressive one of those for only $50k. It just needs the damn manual transmission to be perfect before electrification takes hold.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ As am I similarly happy we now have the Supra MKV in its current form. The additional options and variants should be no trouble for Toyota, since this is a passion project for them.

I also have high hopes for a future MKVI Supra which will no doubt be hybrid or full EV with even better technology than is available now, so long as Toyota tosses the all of the autonomous crap out the window for it.

Right now we aren't at that far off point yet. We've got this machine at half the price of a robotic R35 Nissan GTR and I'm very interested to see what people will do with it.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True on the z4. So you say to give the B58 a chance. I say we give the zf auto a chance. Personally I love a manual trans but to be honest I'm not impressed with alot of manual transmissions these days. After engineering theres very few ways to be able to further strengthen them for power gains
Regarding transmissions:

At current time we have no choice but to give the ZF8 8HP automatic a chance. By all accounts it's one of the very best performance automatics in the entire world. And I truly do think it's wonderful that the Supra MKV has it!

However given where the industry is going towards non-manuals and electrification in the coming years I am just 0% interested in the ZF8 automatic. The window for new cars being offered with manuals is narrowing year by year and as such, at the end of the day, as long as manual cars are still offered those are the main and only ones I am personally interested in considering.

Especially in a niche very high performance two-seater driver centric sports car that is not yet a hybrid or EV it makes no sense at all not to offer a manual transmission when its competitors all still do.

Once a lot of these beloved high performance niche driver cars go hybrid electric and EV there will be little to no place for traditional manual transmissions any longer. That will eventually be a given across the board.

But right now there is a window to still offer them on the cars that truly deserve to have them on the order sheet.

So as great as the ZF8 automatic is... I'm just totally uninterested at current time. Not until it is no longer technically feasible at all to offer a manual transmission in Toyota's purist high performance Supra.

The same goes for The GT86 and the Corolla. I'd include the upcoming MR2 in that list but as far as we know thus far that car will be a hybrid or EV design from the get-go so the chances of it having a manual transmission are slim to none.

However the Supra MKV, in Tada-san's own words, will as currently designed not be a hybrid. The last of its particular kind from Toyota. So therefore... a manual transmission simply needs to be offered period. Because after this generation it will likely be impossible to anyway. Now is the time to offer it for as many model years as possible.

Even Hyundai is putting Toyota to shame in this regard by offering their G70 sedan 2.0L 255hp I4 turbo in a purist 6-speed manual RWD mechanical LSD & Brembo brake configuration with a mere 4% take rate.

That's a great car but it's not even close to being the high performance impractical sports car that a Supra is where irrational choices and 100% fun are the norm and the halo popularity of the model itself is through the roof.

Last edited:

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Its a fantastic car, not a toyota no matter how much toyota "cooked" with bmws ingredients.

I need to give nothing a chance, like anything else, you get in the car drive it like it owes you money you'll have a good time and enjoy it. I would love to drive one. Its just I don't get why people want to argue till they are blue in the face that the car is somehow a toyota supra because Toyota slapped a badge on it. You guys need to do some research, look up some history of toyota and the yamaha powerplate and the getrag transmission. You guys are only seeing things from the bmw point of view in some cases.

Great car, cool BMW, just not deserving of the supra emblem. Simple. Its not an argument its pure fact.

The car that should have been born would have been priced following inflation around 72-78k, had a yamaha derived inline 6 and sure, let getrag now owned by Dana Corp make the trans, keep proportions closer to ft1 and it would have been a homerun.

Toyota has insane resources where they never needed to co develop this car with bmw in the first place.
Possibly the car is made by the manufacturer Toyota.

Like I get it, not all of you will understand, you are on the mkv supra forum. not the supra forum, not the mkiv supra forum, etc. I guess I'm speaking in your guys echo chamber and saying what no one wants to hear. Thats fine.
The celica supra, the mk2 supra, the mk3 supra all share commonalities and are cars developed by toyota and yamaha. The mkiv engine was developed with yamaha. Yamaha helped develop a ton of great engines over the years. So theres that. The other thing is toyota actually built the other cars not just the bodies and glass. Like seriously do any of you guys know any history of these cars? Or you're all just late to the game here.

Want to learn about supras go on supraforums and do some reading.
Your "Supra" exists. It's just not called a Supra. It's in the same family as the IS-F (IS300), RC-F (SC300) and it's called the LC500 (Supra). All three run the 2UR-GSE which was co-developed by Yamaha and all of them are around the 72-78k price range either new or used with relatively low miles. This is what a pure Toyota built modern Supra would be.

The Land Cruiser had an inline 6 as well, now it's only offered with V8s (V6 in some countries) and the next generation will get Twin Turbo V6s. The RC/LC will move from V8s to TT V6s too.

You can see why Toyota didn't want to create your version of the Supra just by looking at how the RC/LC sales are doing. At $20-30k less for the same performance, the A90 will sell like hot cakes compared to those two.

If I were you, I'd get a used LC and slap a Toyota/Supra badge on it and call it a day.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is one other interesting bit of news with Toyota and inline sixes and that is Mazda's recent luxury RWD coupe and sedan platform with their own family of Skyactiv-X inline six engines up to 3.0L I think. Toyota apparently wants to tie up with Mazda for the use of both the chassis architecture and those engines.

I don't think this signals a Supra variant at all. That seems to be a done deal tied up with BMW. But if this Toyota-Mazda partnership holds water and that platform an engine series makes production it could mean some other Toyota or Lexus RWD models with inline sixes powering them, probably with the similar approach of individual styling and bespoke ECU tuning.

While still not bespoke Toyota this would presumably fill niches other than the Supra that historically had I6 engines.

Again... IF this tie up and the Mazda vehicle and engine platforms come to be.

I can think of one good reason why they might: Mazda being a small company probably cannot do more than do the R&D for these things on their own. They have to be so careful with their resources they even partnered with Fiat to co-develop the current Miata. Since they as a company want to go upmarket, making an enticing tie up with Toyota/Lexus for an advanced RWD I6 luxury car platform may be just the way for them to pull it off and give Akio Toyoda something he would also like to develop for his "fun" vehicle lineups.

If all of that happens then Toyota/Lexus get even more unique driver oriented vehicles in their lineup. Which, as with the GT86 and Supra, they have a big hand in co-developing but do not actually do all on their own as they do with their volume TGNA and other platforms.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Your "Supra" exists. It's just not called a Supra. It's in the same family as the IS-F (IS300), RC-F (SC300) and it's called the LC500 (Supra). All three run the 2UR-GSE which was co-developed by Yamaha and all of them are around the 72-78k price range either new or used with relatively low miles. This is what a pure Toyota built modern Supra would be.

The Land Cruiser had an inline 6 as well, now it's only offered with V8s (V6 in some countries) and the next generation will get Twin Turbo V6s. The RC/LC will move from V8s to TT V6s too.

You can see why Toyota didn't want to create your version of the Supra just by looking at how the RC/LC sales are doing. At $20-30k less for the same performance, the A90 will sell like hot cakes compared to those two.

If I were you, I'd get a used LC and slap a Toyota/Supra badge on it and call it a day.
Well said. add the RC F GT to that list.

The supra was able to be what it was back then because there was no lexus F cars.

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well said. add the RC F GT to that list.

The supra was able to be what it was back then because there was no lexus F cars.
Amazing we are all in agreement here.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gunna throw this out there, the 2022 Supra will be the 40th anniversary edition. Considering they had a 15th on the A80 in 1997..:hmm: Might get special treatment similar to LE models of 2020.
Maybe Toyota will finally release a manual variant of the Supra for its 40th anniversary edition.
Sponsored