Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
I just cant believe the internet trolling. Kinda boggling. These days, negativity is popularity though.
Sponsored

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
I just cant believe the internet trolling. Kinda boggling. These days, negativity is popularity though.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
This car definitely has people talking, I'll give it that. I really want to see one in person and would like to own one down the road, but not for $85K. I would buy an LC500 at that point

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
He's completely on point and honest.
Nope. He isn't. I'm going to ignore every other bullshit he said and will focus on one thing only. He explicitly stated that this is a badge job with Toyota phoning it in and slapping their badges on it and THAT IS NOT TRUE. He's a dumb, shitty, biased brit who needs to piss off already. I thought the internet kicked his ass on Twitter. Seems like the posh douchebag didn't get the message.

I hate seeing his mouse face everywhere where he just drifts some Aston Martins, Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes and blows his nut on them. Like seriously, nobody is buying his bullshit except 10 year old "enthusiasts" and biased idiots. My version of a REAL car and racing enthusiast is when everyone actually looks at things from an open point of view and looks at things without bias. Discuss about things. Share your passions and appreciate what other people's passions are. Agree and disagree about things. Appreciate the history and heritage of legendary and classic cars and where they came from, also what they came to be today and what cars will become in the future. Appreciating racing and the technologies that is being derived from racing. Enjoying every bit of adrenaline that comes from watching other people, or you racing yourself. Be it on the drag strip, on legendary racetracks, off-road, or anything else. A real car enthusiast doesn't spread lies and doesn't act like the biggest posh bitch out there. That's what Harris is. And that's why I hate him with a burning passion. He ruins everything for REAL enthusiasts. And seeing so many people taking his words to heart like he's the messiah makes me quite upset. That people just don't think for themselves anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Have you seen the mark-ups on these cars? You can buy the LC500 for about the same price as the new Supra. Here in Alaska, where sports cars can be driven 3-4 months tops, they have a $25K mark-up! I called to inquire and the grand total after their "dealer" mark-up is a whopping $85K
It goes both ways. Eventually that mark up is going to go down and the gap will be obvious. LC500s easily reached +100k with mark ups and still do fully loaded.

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
I think this is where a lot of the disagreement comes from. Fundamentally it is a good product. It drives well, is fast, nice interior, good handling and looks good. There is nothing wrong with it as a whole.

Seems like most of the complaints are about not what the car does but what it is in itself.

The interior is probably the best quality of any Toyota, it's the fastest road going one they've made.

Just because it is built in Austria and shares parts with BMWs doesn't make it inherently a bad car. Yes it would have been nicer to not have the BMW parts bin switches and buttons etc, but the whole interior other than that (and iDrive) is bespoke, the engine is one of the best straight 6s available at the moment that meets all modern emissions standards, the transmission is the best automatic out there used in numerous performance cars.

Yes, a manual one with a Toyota engine built in Japan with bespoke parts would have been ideal but there is no business case for that. It would end up so expensive nobody would buy it and Toyota would lose out massively and, although celebrated by enthusiasts, it would be a failure.

What we have, in the current market, is probably the best we could at the timing and price point. Objectively it is a great car, but subjectively, to those that were expecting the all Japanese supercar killer for a budget price, it was always going to disappoint.

Last edited:

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Chris Harris is one of the few prepared to tell it how it is.His argument is well based, well constructed, organised and rational. HE IS RIGHT.
He, and all the actually qualified and credible enthusiasts, know what they are talking about when they say the MkV simply isn't good enough. ITS NOT.

Blaming all the negativity on trolls and internet trends is more 10 year tantrum stuff. Sure that will always been there in small amounts, but the fact is if the MkV was a good product it wouldn't have 99% of the hate its getting. Its the product, not the people that's the problem.

Its not a good product.
For anyone who takes Harris seriously, watch this video:

He's an entertainer and a relatively good one, but that's all he is. He couldn't say anything negative about the MkV other than it's not a Toyota with huge emphasis that Toyota simply rebadged a Z4. If he didn't say that, it would have ended the argument then and there. But now since he created this huge controversy by not liking the MkV (which contradicts almost every other article out there) he's generating more attention and clicks for more profit. We have a saying in Arabic which roughly translates to "Go against the majority and you will be known".

Same thing with Cammisa and his childish review where he threw Supra and Toyota badges on a Z4 that created a sh*t ton of views on his instagram.

If you're claiming bashing Harris for his negative review on the MkV is childish, claiming all the other reviews are fake is down right ignorant.

And no one, not a single review claimed it was not a good product. Not even Harris and Cammisa. They simply gave Toyota shit for relaying heavily on BMW. Other than that Harris simply said it's not the car for him and he'd rather have the Alpine which let's all be honest is a good sports car but looks like shit, probably has Renault reliability and even with all that praise isn't even offered with a manual transmission.

Ursicles

First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage S, Skoda Vrs 245
I like Chris Harris - but im surprised by his review.

His issue isn't that its not a good car, his issue is that its too BMW. Having driven one, and sat in my sisters 440 - yep - its pretty much identical inside in terms of switchgear, infotainment system etc, and it is really disappointing.

The car is great (and I pick mine up in about 8 weeks) but I wish they had done more with the internal aspects of the car. I get developing an engine would have been tricky, but developing your own gear stick, or infotainment screen couldn't have been that hard - even if they stole if from the bloody Camry it would have been better than just using stock BMW 3/5 series parts.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 MKIV (Totalled) 2011 Audi A6 1981 Datsun 310
He's also part of an organisation that's big enough not to have not sell out their credibility to Toyota's Manipulative marketing on this car.
Like I've said before, to be a review it has to be balanced, and all these glowing reviews from supposedly reputable media sources, which are nothing but praise for the MkV aren't reviews - they are Toyota Sponsored adverts, in 95% of cases, literally.
Do you have a source for this statistic? That's a very high percentage of fake reviews.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a few
71 pages of people getting butthurt from other people's opinion. Typical of today's generation.

These "reviewers" actually saw the car and some even drove it.
Most here can't say that... yet. The way I see it, a review is an opinion. Take it with a grain of salt because who knows how many cars the "reviewer" has actually driven. And the ones that actually drive the cars, they probably drive better than you in their sleep.
It boggles my mind how some are defending this car when they haven't drove it let alone see one in the flesh. Even when this car hits the masses, most will never experience half of what this car can do. Some of the ones talking mods will probably just end up tinting their windows and buying a can of plastidip. (That's not modding)

Be open minded when watching reviews. Like they say, one's trash is another's treasure.
If you like it, buy it. Why would you care if someone says it's too BMW to be a Toyota? Face it, its a fact.
If someone says they don't like the car because of that, what's the big deal?
Do you have to like every car?

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
BMW isn't really known for having a reliable engines, what makes everyone think this is going to be any different? I'm optimistic, but when you see BMW guys throwing 2JZs and V160s in their cars you tend to second guess yourself. Regardless, I am very excited to see this car in person, test drive it and possibly purchase one.

Most of the hate this car gets is because of the blatant lack of anything Toyota on this car, or so it seems. Besides the exterior's radical proportions and shape nothing really seems Toyota on this car. Engine... BMW... Interior... BMW... buttons... BMW... door chime...BMW and the list goes on an on.

Most of the people on here were waiting to hear Chris Harris's review on the car because it wouldn't be biased, but now everyone hates the guy for speaking his mind. I kind of agree with him in the fact that for being a Toyota halo sports car, it feels like the BMW is very overpowering. Besides the giant Toyota badge on the steering wheel you may forget you're in a Yota. With all the R&D they put into the LFA and the rest of their F cars, I feel like they could have trickled down some tech to the Supra, used a larger chassis that wouldn't make the car look like a smushed FT-1 and kept it in house for the same amount of money. Regardless, this is what we got and we just have to accept it. I think it will be a great car and the aftermarket is going to elevate it, but on the outside it looks like Toyota took a backseat on this collaboration.

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
A stock A80 is nothing ground breaking. Cool and fun, yes, but not out of this world.
I think too many of you are trying to compare the a80 then to sports cars now. The car was super underappreciated for many years, competed directly with the 911 turbo and had the best stopping distance of a production car until dethroned by the Carrera GT. It was and is an amazing car. Its 25 years old now. The mkv is a sad attempt at restoring a legend. Just is, not much ground was gained aside from creature comforts modern BMWs afford you

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I think too many of you are trying to compare the a80 then to sports cars now. The car was super underappreciated for many years, competed directly with the 911 turbo and had the best stopping distance of a production car until dethroned by the Carrera GT. It was and is an amazing car. Its 25 years old now. The mkv is a sad attempt at restoring a legend. Just is, not much ground was gained aside from creature comforts modern BMWs afford you
I mean you do you, but you are definitely the most miffed about this car. The performance stats for this car are pretty remarkable for the price point.
Sponsored