Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
What do possibly want from people defending Toyota's decision?

The decision has been made already and there is nothing anyone can do to rewrite history. The divide isn't those who wanted the car to be something else vs those who are making excuses for Toyota. The divide is those who have gotten over it and made the best of the situation, and those who haven't.

Would it be cool if the car had C8 levels of price and performance with the FT-1 body and a 6mt? Yeah I do. But it didn't happen and complaining on the internet isn't going to change that. Defending the car isn't saying Toyota made the right choice, it is making the best of the decision.

So I ask again, what do possibly want from people defending Toyota's decision? Because it sounds like you want people to agree with your opinion and turn this site into a complaint breeding ground that tears apart the community of those who want to enjoy the car they purchased.
Why can't people enjoy their cars? Sounds like some of them certainly are. I dont want anyone to agree or disagree with my opinion, just facts. I think that's the confusion some people are experiencing, they think people are actually mad at them personally or something for liking the mkv or owning it. I dont know how anyone can actually be upset at another human being for owning something as trivial as a car. People can share their opinions on things and why things happened, facts can only be derived from actuality of a situation. No one can change them. I'd like to think people who purchased the mkv can be the most understanding bunch...like most of them know and are aware of all the trivial bullshit regarding the car being a non toyota product but can also appreciate it as a car they love driving and looking at.

I've been on supraforums since it was a mailing list, forums in general are a dying thing but the die hard and original owners will stick to them as theirs a wealth of knowledge on them to help keep these aging cars on the road.

My question to you is why do you think everything has to be entirely one way or the other?
Sponsored

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I stopped buying US designed cars some time back. I just don't care for the quality, in general. Toyota has met more of my expectations, though I am not always happy with the dealerships.

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Why can't people enjoy their cars? Sounds like some of them certainly are. I dont want anyone to agree or disagree with my opinion, just facts. I think that's the confusion some people are experiencing, they think people are actually mad at them personally or something for liking the mkv or owning it. I dont know how anyone can actually be upset at another human being for owning something as trivial as a car. People can share their opinions on things and why things happened, facts can only be derived from actuality of a situation. No one can change them. I'd like to think people who purchased the mkv can be the most understanding bunch...like most of them know and are aware of all the trivial bullshit regarding the car being a non toyota product but can also appreciate it as a car they love driving and looking at.

I've been on supraforums since it was a mailing list, forums in general are a dying thing but the die hard and original owners will stick to them as theirs a wealth of knowledge on them to help keep these aging cars on the road.

My question to you is why do you think everything has to be entirely one way or the other?
I am going to back up and say that 'you' isn't referring to you, but to you as in context of those who feel the need to drag down the MKV and every MKV owner whenever they get the chance.

As for letting people enjoy their owner cars, I truly don't understand either. This forum has put in a great deal of effort to not give MKV whiners a platform to complain without means to an end. This is in contrast to SF and FB groups where literally no one can enjoy owning a MKV without constant walls of complaints.

People want to argue facts but have no idea what they are talking about. There is still a great deal of people who still think the MKV is smaller than the 86. Or that the car looks like the Z4. It is actually maddening reading all the people throw out irrational complaints about the MKV.

What do you mean? There is only way one on a forum for MKV owners, and it is to let people enjoy their cars.

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am going to back up and say that 'you' isn't referring to you, but to you as in context of those who feel the need to drag down the MKV and every MKV owner whenever they get the chance.

As for letting people enjoy their owner cars, I truly don't understand either. This forum has put in a great deal of effort to not give MKV whiners a platform to complain without means to an end. This is in contrast to SF and FB groups where literally no one can enjoy owning a MKV without constant walls of complaints.

People want to argue facts but have no idea what they are talking about. There is still a great deal of people who still think the MKV is smaller than the 86. Or that the car looks like the Z4. It is actually maddening reading all the people throw out irrational complaints about the MKV.

What do you mean? There is only way one on a forum for MKV owners, and it is to let people enjoy their cars.
My complaints are not unfounded or irrelevant. Having a place that shields owners from negatives is called a safe space and that is the most dangerous place to be.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Having a place that shields owners from negatives is called a safe space and that is the most dangerous place to be.
I agree

But it has nothing to do with being negative. Like actual nothing. Like not related to it at all.

It is about nonconstructive complaints. Saying things like "I wish it were made in house" doesn't bring anything to the table in 2020 for a collaboration starting back in 2012 and a decision made back in 2015. These opinions are only expressed today because someone wants their opinion validated

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree

But it has nothing to do with being negative. Like actual nothing. Like not related to it at all.

It is about nonconstructive complaints. Saying things like "I wish it were made in house" doesn't bring anything to the table in 2020 for a collaboration starting back in 2012 and a decision made back in 2015. These opinions are only expressed today because someone wants their opinion validated
Yep I get it, factual based gripes and smack talk took to the sidelines. Just aimless vitriol seemingly directed as much as the owners as the car. We can agree to disagree on the car and the questionable choices and partnerships Toyota has made but the car is here, it does some things good, it just isnt the car I think anyone is 100% happy with or neccesarily expected. I dont think we are in disagreement here.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yep I get it, factual based gripes and smack talk took to the sidelines. Just aimless vitriol seemingly directed as much as the owners as the car. We can agree to disagree on the car and the questionable choices and partnerships Toyota has made but the car is here, it does some things good, it just isnt the car I think anyone is 100% happy with or neccesarily expected. I dont think we are in disagreement here.
I would like to make things clear that I disagree with many of the choices made during the development and planning of the car as well. But hindsight is 20/20 and the automotive and economic landscape have changed dramatically since 2012. We can complain about these decisions all day but that doesn't give us any insight to what TMC was thinking as far as 8 years ago. Mistakes we were made but you don't have to throw a no-hitter to win the game.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I would like to make things clear that I disagree with many of the choices made during the development and planning of the car as well. But hindsight is 20/20 and the automotive and economic landscape have changed dramatically since 2012. We can complain about these decisions all day but that doesn't give us any insight to what TMC was thinking as far as 8 years ago. Mistakes we were made but you don't have to throw a no-hitter to win the game.
I think they would do the exact same thing today.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium - 2018 Lexus LC500 Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I personally am annoyed they called it a supra. I'm sure the car is going to be great and fun, but is it really a successor to the Supra with a BMW motor and trans?
Yes it is a great successor to the MKIV. I get annoyed that so many have over hyped the MKIV into this iconic legend of sorts when the new B58M30 is a far superior block than the 27 year old 2JZ. Not to mention that every fan boy and even most MKIV Supra owners are ignorant to the fact that the 2JZ-GTE motor was actually engineered by German Engineering firm Johann Krause GmbH prior to 1993. To add insult to injury, the GETRAG now known as Magna PT's 6 speed transmission in the MKIV's was also a German transmission. The MKIV's rise to stardom can be attributed to the German engineering that went into it's power plant and drivetrain. Toyota is still outsourcing their motors from other companies to this day and they work closely with Yamaha for their Lexus brand performance vehicles i.e. LFA, LC500, RC-F and IS-F.

So what's changed with the Supra 27 years later? It has another German sourced motor and another German transmission and is getting ridiculed for being all from BMW although the ZF transmission in the MKV is not sourced from BMW, but rather from ZF Friedrichshafen AG. For $1,000 A MKV can be made much faster than a BPU MKIV Supra can. Not only that but the amount of money needed to make a MKIV as fast to perform as good as a MKV with stage II stock frame turbo upgrade would cost over $10,000. The MKV would only require $3,100 total to make 650whp reliably for a perfect street/track car.

Wish people would just stop with the MKV bashing and give it a rest already.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Yes it is a great successor to the MKIV. I get annoyed that so many have over hyped the MKIV into this iconic legend of sorts when the new B58M30 is a far superior block than the 27 year old 2JZ. Not to mention that every fan boy and even most MKIV Supra owners are ignorant to the fact that the 2JZ-GTE motor was actually engineered by German Engineering firm Johann Krause GmbH prior to 1993. To add insult to injury, the GETRAG now known as Magna PT's 6 speed transmission in the MKIV's was also a German transmission. The MKIV's rise to stardom can be attributed to the German engineering that went into it's power plant and drivetrain. Toyota is still outsourcing their motors from other companies to this day and they work closely with Yamaha for their Lexus brand performance vehicles i.e. LFA, LC500, RC-F and IS-F.
1 - Source?

2- Toyota owns a stake in Yamaha and that partnership has been producing some the base for some of their best motors since the 2000GT. Higashi-Fuji TC and TMG does the rest.

Other than that I share you basic sentiment.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

So what's changed with the Supra 27 years later? It has another German sourced motor and another German transmission and is getting ridiculed for being all from BMW although the ZF transmission in the MKV is not sourced from BMW, but rather from ZF Friedrichshafen AG. For $1,000 A MKV can be made much faster than a BPU MKIV Supra can. Not only that but the amount of money needed to make a MKIV as fast to perform as good as a MKV with stage II stock frame turbo upgrade would cost over $10,000. The MKV would only require $3,100 total to make 650whp reliably for a perfect street/track car.

Wish people would just stop with the MKV bashing and give it a rest already.
Wasn't this cleared up already?
original (4).gif
Sponsored