LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra (MT), 2005 4Runner (V8)
Hey gang,

Recently took delivery of my 23 Supra (manual) and looking to make it more capable to take to occasional drift days. I have been lurking for the last couple years and have not seen many people drifting these nor much of an aftermarket for the discipline. I know there are plenty of drift supra racecars but I cannot find any casual enthusiast builds (the last hydro post on here is a couple years old and references the auto). There is a guy in Russia who swapped a manual before it was available OEM (TheRealKalashnik) and he drifts. I previously have extensive seat time in autox, tracking, hillclimbs but I have been out of the game for a decade being responsible so I am a bit rusty on what's what. Mostly interested in setting up the chassis for slideways fun, the car has enough power for my needs.

Looking for guidance on the following:
  1. Any street based builds you are aware of I can follow for inspiration
  2. Hydro hookup/plumbing: I assume I will need to run a dual caliper setup to not mess with the BMW electronics/ABS. Ie. I cannot plumb a hydro directly into the rear calipers. Anyone know if this is correct?
  3. Is anyone aware of anything to help with adding angle that is not as extreme as Wisefab? I am thinking back to my FRS days where you could get Megan Racing inner tie rods for some added angle without going crazy.
  4. Good options for dialing in more front camber. I am looking for 3-4 degrees.
  5. Option for adding more positive caster.
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Adam LZ and a few other FD drivers run MKV supra's, granted all pretty heavily modified for FD, I have seen some people slide these around, I mean it is a rwd, higher horsepower, car with an LSD, prime candidate haha. I have yet to see many people install a hydo kit, I would imagine it would require a good bit of custom work.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Fredric Aasbo absolutely rips his GR in FD.

OP
OP
LowRoller

LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Adam LZ and a few other FD drivers run MKV supra's, granted all pretty heavily modified for FD, I have seen some people slide these around, I mean it is a rwd, higher horsepower, car with an LSD, prime candidate haha. I have yet to see many people install a hydo kit, I would imagine it would require a good bit of custom work.
Yea I followed Adam's build with the hydro and auto thing hes doing. Same with TJ hunt. Those are big players with basically a race team to build whatever they want. The car slides fine as is; just want a couple of grassroots mods to have more options to initiate and adjust line. Hoping I don't have the same issue as TJ with the clutch melting after a couple clutch kicks...

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
RIP stock clutch.

Talk to a fab shop, most of this stuff is easily done with a shop that's capable of installing said items.

Nothing will be off the shelf fits perfect as you would expect.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Does this count? My tires had heat cycled out.. it was 90*+ out, so track temp was crazy hot. Every corner was just like this. Most fun I've had at a track day šŸ˜‚

Green - Turn 8 - WS8_0004_May1323_1142AM_CaliPhoto.jpg

OP
OP
LowRoller

LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does this count? My tires had heat cycled out.. it was 90*+ out, so track temp was crazy hot. Every corner was just like this. Most fun I've had at a track day šŸ˜‚

Green - Turn 8 - WS8_0004_May1323_1142AM_CaliPhoto.jpg
A wee bit more angle and vaporized tires and you are ready for FD ;).

Love the look of these cars in Yellow.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
The car slides fine as is; just want a couple of grassroots mods to have more options to initiate and adjust line

ā€¦

after a couple clutch kicks...
How experienced are you with drifting already? You mentioned other motorsports and a decade off. And you mentioned youā€™re worried about a couple clutch kicks which implies you havenā€™t kicked it (in this car) yet?

I was going to suggest just sending it if you havenā€™t already. It will do just fine at casual drift days.

The high hp, short wheelbase, LSDā€¦it breaks loose and slides really well out of the box. If youā€™re at a grassroots level, perhaps finding its (and your own) limits first may be worth it before building too much. Start with reliability mods (like the clutch).

Iā€™m no pro, but Iā€™ve had a seat time drift car (no hydro, no angle kit, just the basics - ) in the past and Iā€™ve burned through two sets of rears getting the Supra sideways -

OP
OP
LowRoller

LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How experienced are you with drifting already? You mentioned other motorsports and a decade off. And you mentioned youā€™re worried about a couple clutch kicks which implies you havenā€™t kicked it (in this car) yet?

I was going to suggest just sending it if you havenā€™t already. It will do just fine at casual drift days.

The high hp, short wheelbase, LSDā€¦it breaks loose and slides really well out of the box. If youā€™re at a grassroots level, perhaps finding its (and your own) limits first may be worth it before building too much. Start with reliability mods (like the clutch).

Iā€™m no pro, but Iā€™ve had a seat time drift car (no hydro, no angle kit, just the basics - ) in the past and Iā€™ve burned through two sets of rears getting the Supra sideways -
No sir, havent kicked it in this one yet, 600km on her right now trying to break it in a bit before testing :drive:. I sold my e36 drift missile 2 years ago but that didnt see much track time, so yea seat time at a track outside of karting is a decade old but I am not worried about sliding this one, should drift fine out of the box. Pretty excited to have more than double the power for slideways fun. I expect I will miss the angle and ability to adjust line with a hydro as I did with the e36. Too bad no one has made some proper inner tie rods just to get a bit more angle... I may have to be the guinea pig here lol.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
For your manual the first thing you need to do to save the life of your clutch is remove the clutch delay valve, or bypass it. That being left intact will sure be counterintuitive to what you are trying to do during drifting.

as far as adding a Hydro brake for the rears, it can be done, i havent personally looked at it but i have ideas. just never tried it. lol

OP
OP
LowRoller

LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For your manual the first thing you need to do to save the life of your clutch is remove the clutch delay valve, or bypass it. That being left intact will sure be counterintuitive to what you are trying to do during drifting.

as far as adding a Hydro brake for the rears, it can be done, i havent personally looked at it but i have ideas. just never tried it. lol
Dude, absolutely. First 2 mods: CDV removal and the wind deflectors. Before I put a deposit down I sat in a manual and made sure the typically garbage feeling mushy BMW manual was not present. Can't stand the CDV, it's going asap and one of the reasons I don't want to clutch kick yet.

OP
OP
LowRoller

LowRoller

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To clarify, the CDV has nothing to do with the feeling of the shifter; as Twisted correctly pointed out the CDV works against you when clutch kicking as the idea is to shock the driveline quickly to promote wheelspin and the CDV works against this.