Anyone Has Experience Tuning with Stock Downpipe?

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
He will fail the obd2 test.
I don't know for certain if he will, but from my experience running catless downpipes, as long as you're tuned and not running super rich or throwing codes, you should pass. I haven't failed an obd2 check on any of my cars that were properly tuned with catless downpipes. Only thing they would catch is if he had an aftermarket setup and it had to go through visual inspection.
Sponsored

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
I don't know for certain if he will, but from my experience running catless downpipes, as long as you're tuned and not running super rich or throwing codes, you should pass. I haven't failed an obd2 check on any of my cars that were properly tuned with catless downpipes. Only thing they would catch is if he had an aftermarket setup and it had to go through visual inspection.
That would depend on your states emission rules. Here in AZ certain readiness monitors need to be "ready" and you can only fail 2 monitors at most. That could be changing soon to be more stricter and I can only imagine this guys strictness. Worst case scenario he tried catless with tune, if doesn't work go HFC and try again.

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
That would depend on your states emission rules. Here in AZ certain readiness monitors need to be "ready" and you can only fail 2 monitors at most. That could be changing soon to be more stricter and I can only imagine this guys strictness. Worst case scenario he tried catless with tune, if doesn't work go HFC and try again.
Very true. Looking into Singapore's restrictions, it appears to be more of an noise concern than emission. If that's the case and they take a decibel reading from the exhaust, anything other than stock would fail. Sounds a lot like CA's restrictions right now.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Very true. Looking into Singapore's restrictions, it appears to be more of an noise concern than emission. If that's the case and they take a decibel reading from the exhaust, anything other than stock would fail. Sounds a lot like CA's restrictions right now.
HKS designed an exhaust for sound regulations. Maybe OP can reach out to HKS and ask if it could work.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
He will fail the obd2 test.

You can gut your stock downpipe and it will look 100% factory and with an ecu tune you will turn the sensors that check for the dp off and it will not throw a check engine light, it is not the ideal option but if you want the power and a little added noise, remove oem downpipe, gut the internals, and ba da big ba da boom.
I thought about that, but yes it will still fail. As they do put an emissions sensor into the exhaust, its not just a visual inspection.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
I am running stock catted DP and exhaust with PF. EcuTek tune gave 432,6 HP on 98 octane.
Nice! How long have u been running on this map? So far so good?

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
I am running stock catted DP and exhaust with PF. EcuTek tune gave 432,6 HP on 98 octane.
Nice! How long have u been running on this map? I'm probably doing the same as urs.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
Decibel definitely is measured, at 3k rpm also. For Singapore, both the emission gas and sound levels are measured.

HKS designed an exhaust for sound regulations. Maybe OP can reach out to HKS and ask if it could work.
If we want to mod our exhaust to an aftermarket, it has to be approved by the authorities. Unfortunately, none approved yet LOL. or at least no full exhaust systems are approved yet.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Decibel definitely is measured, at 3k rpm also. For Singapore, both the emission gas and sound levels are measured.

If we want to mod our exhaust to an aftermarket, it has to be approved by the authorities. Unfortunately, none approved yet LOL. or at least no full exhaust systems are approved yet.
I would just buy a faster car that you don't have to modify at this point.

Edit: yes I understand that the cost of owning a car there is double than us but still haha.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
I would just buy a faster car that you don't have to modify at this point.

Edit: yes I understand that the cost of owning a car there is double than us but still haha.
Haha thatā€™ll work if Iā€™m solely trying to be faster, but Iā€™m not trying to get 1000hp ?

just tryna have fun optimising my supra within my comfort zone. Suspension, chassis and performance etc.

even if i did buy a gt2rs, i would still try and mod it ?

so ya to answer ur qns, buying a faster car wont ease the itch.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Nice! How long have u been running on this map? So far so good?
5 months. No issues what so ever. The car is more powerful through the entire powerband.
Highly recommend to go the EcuTek route.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
5 months. No issues what so ever. The car is more powerful through the entire powerband.
Highly recommend to go the EcuTek route.
Nice man. Can't wait to get mine tuned up. :p

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Porsche Cayman, 2003 Mitsubishi EVO8, 2020 GR Supra
Iā€™m also thinking about doing just a tune with stock DP here in Thailand. Although our emission regulations probably permit all types of mods but I just wanted to keep things simple. Is there a substantial gain without going with aftermarket DP? My goal is something close to 400whp with 91 US octane (95 RON). Is this doable?

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Doubt you will reach 400whp on 91 octane with stock DP and stock exhaust.

Why would you use 95 RON, isnĀ“t 98 RON available in Thailand?
Kind of defeat the purpose of trying to get max horsepower from a tune if you then fill it up with 91/95RON.

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Porsche Cayman, 2003 Mitsubishi EVO8, 2020 GR Supra
Doubt you will reach 400whp on 91 octane with stock DP and stock exhaust.

Why would you use 95 RON, isnĀ“t 98 RON available in Thailand?
Kind of defeat the purpose of trying to get max horsepower from a tune if you then fill it up with 91/95RON.
95 RON is the best available fuel here unless we go for E20 or E85 which donā€™t have consistent octane ratings.
Sponsored