Anyone using a ... Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 or the VanTrue Element 1

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Thoughts? I love the small discrete size for the Supra. Anyone else using one? Ease of install, etc?

IMG_7028.jpeg

IMG_7030.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I have 4 of them. Only one works as it should. Tried many different SD cards and it seems like the cheaper, smaller ones work best. Most work for about a week and then the files become corrupt. Got to keep reformatting weekly for best results.

S2k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Last edited:

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
I have these in all my cars. They work very well. Very easy install and they are small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror.

BananaBoi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium MT
I also use it. Interface is pretty decent and its small and out of the way. I use the suction cup mount instead since windshield is tinted.

Yli

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I've got one. My iPhone fights with the Garmin and CarPlay when using their 'wireless interface'. So I just pull the card and pull videos off it when I need to.

After not driving for a bit it'll reset and all the dates are January 1 or something, which can make finding videos a bit of a pain.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I've got one. My iPhone fights with the Garmin and CarPlay when using their 'wireless interface'. So I just pull the card and pull videos off it when I need to.

After not driving for a bit it'll reset and all the dates are January 1 or something, which can make finding videos a bit of a pain.
Disconnect phone from carplay. Use wifi features. Reconnect phone to carplay when done.

OP
OP
Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I also wanted small and looking through various reviews I ended up getting one of these..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B2RFDTPR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With my limited use so far it seems to work well. Just thought I would mention another option for you on small cameras. 😀

IMG_4275.jpeg
~ This small unit has really good reviews. I also like the fact you have a screen to see exactly what is recording or the image.

Did you happen to opt for the Circular Polarizer Filter?

Thanks much.

S2k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
~ This small unit has really good reviews. I also like the fact you have a screen to see exactly what is recording or the image.

Did you happen to opt for the Circular Polarizer Filter?

Thanks much.
Yes, I did get a filter where It eliminates windscreen reflections. I think the main criticism on this camera (which from memory is the same issue on the Garmin Mini 2 or even worse) is it’s night time quality is not great vs other larger cameras at a similar price, but I wanted something hidden behind the mirror so discarded all chunky cameras. (Plus, I don’t tend to drive at night so was not an issue for me) There is also a review of someone after a year in a hot climate somewhere in the US where it was still working fine which was another good sign. I think the Garmin may not have GPS stamping of vid which was another big negative for me.. (or that may have been the old Garmin Mini 1)

OP
OP
Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How did most run their wires? And is the interior fuse panel on the driver side to hardwire? Just running a front dash camera only. Thanks

Fyi ... I did opt for the Vantrue (with filter lens) due to its small size.

IMG_7938.jpeg

OP
OP
Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did opt for the Vantrue (with filter lens) due to its small size and magnetic attachment (camera slides on and off the double side taped mount). Wire easily tucks around the windshield and dash edge and is hardwired to the fuse panel at the passenger side footwell. Super clean install. I have the screen set to turn off after 1 minute upon coming on... but it keeps recording.

IMG_7938.jpeg
Here are some photos of the installed VanTrue dash camera. It's very discreet... most would never see it unless I told you it was there. I wanted it to be out of my peripheral vision and mounted just behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror.

IMG_8468.png

IMG_8473.png

IMG_8476.png

IMG_8477.png

IMG_8465.png

IMG_8467.png

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT

Have the same problem with mine in my daily and in my wife's car, otherwise it works great.

I also have the Vantrue S1 Pro front and back in my Supra, also seems to work great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CL4FQBQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Here are some photos of the installed VanTrue dash camera. It's very discreet... most would never see it unless I told you it was there. I wanted it to be out of my peripheral vision and mounted just behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror.
How did you run the wires? I couldn't get the wiring kit to work.