Apple or Android??

What do you use?

• Total voters

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
By way better do you mean.. it's looks exactly the same but it doesn't work in the Supra without spending more money?
Visual difference is CarPlay's split screen showing 3 contents is much smaller. It only shows maps, phone and music.
AndroidAuto, like the above picture can dynamically add the sms/whatsapp to the top right. once taken care of, it will show music on the whole screen. You can tap the Map to make it full screen.
These are based on the current versions, surely they evolve everyday and will get better.
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Visual difference is CarPlay's split screen showing 3 contents is much smaller. It only shows maps, phone and music.
AndroidAuto, like the above picture can dynamically add the sms/whatsapp to the top right. once taken care of, it will show music on the whole screen. You can tap the Map to make it full screen.
These are based on the current versions, surely they evolve everyday and will get better.
I'm not sure "much smaller" is that accurate but OK. And just so you know, you can tap any of the apps to make them fullscreen in CarPlay. Music is also fullscreen. It's just a simple interface for getting shit done. And by shit, I mean audio stuff, messages and navigation.

While more complicated stuff might be handy, there is value in simplicity.. particularly in the car.

Carmelo Iverson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 premium
sometimes CarPlay will connect and Google Maps will just show a blank screen which usually means I have to set the phone into Airplane mode for a moment, and then turn that off to get CarPlay to reconnect, and the phone to stop trying to kill Google Maps so I can actually use it while driving.
When it's blanked, on your dash click on the google maps, it should show up, then you can back out if you want to see the other stuff also.

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Apple is losing 20/23 what the hell is wrong with this world! 😭😭😭

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
When Apple lets me control every single aspect of the phone's function and applications, I will switch. Until then: Android. I won't use an OS that actively fights to stop me from doing something.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Used to be an Android die hard but I made the switch to iPhone permanently for my own phone for 2 reasons:

1. I had kids and wife is an iPhone only person and photo sharing between android and iPhone still sucks ass. If your S.O. is on iPhone it’s just much easier to share photos and media if you have an iPhone as well. Airdrop is super convenient, FaceTime is as well, etc.

2. Shit just works on the iPhone. I get no errors, no force closes, no random reboots, no having to side load apps or customizing settings (cause ya can’t do it in iOS), etc. I used to get random errors all the time on stock android OS from manufacturers and even when running the leanest custom ROMs on xdevs.

Only thing that sucks about Apple products is they are expensive… but hey their stuff actually works… but yeah I don’t support when they do stuff like charge $999 for a monitor stand or w/e.

As for CarPlay vs Android Auto - don’t really have a preference really. They’re virtually the same in my opinion.

Last edited:

aspaw1n

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Gray
I used to be an avid android boy. I had the Nexus 7, S7, S8, S9, Note, etc.

I actually miss the android, but I use apple now since everyone I know is using FaceTime, ApplePay, etc.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Used to be an Android die hard but I made the switch to iPhone permanently for my own phone for 2 reasons:

1. I had kids and wife is an iPhone only person and photo sharing between android and iPhone still sucks ass. If your S.O. is on iPhone it’s just much easier to share photos and media if you have an iPhone as well. Airdrop is super convenient, FaceTime is as well, etc.

2. Shit just works on the iPhone. I get no errors, no force closes, no random reboots, no having to side load apps or customizing settings (cause ya can’t do it in iOS), etc. I used to get random errors all the time on stock android OS from manufacturers and even when running the leanest custom ROMs on xdevs.

Only thing that sucks about Apple products is they are expensive… but hey their stuff actually works… but yeah I don’t support when they do stuff like charge $999 for a monitor stand or w/e.
1) Just use Google Photos. For work and random stuff that I take pictures with iPhone, I use share with Partner and I can see the pictures instantly on my account. Can even Automatically save it to mine...
And it's not widely common in US, I get it, but whole world uses WhatsApp to share, text, sext😁
I've not tried BT or nearby share with iPhone vs Android. I shall try.

2) can't speak to your individual experiences but I do remember those happening early on. Not so much lately.. Ps. Custom roms often had stuff ported from other phones like Pixel stuff to Samsung and they're not 100%, usually mentioned under known issues...

Anyhow, that is the only valid excuse. I just discussed this few friends.
iPhone is kinda like Tesla in terms of limited models, limited BOM, etc. and in-house capabilities for all, more locked approach..
It's the safest approach.
Look at Android. It's on numerous phones, tablets, car radios, you name it, different HW, different screen size, DPI, etc.. So, it ought to be a bit buggier than iOS. Same stupid spiel people keep doing with MacOS vs Windows. How many HW is Apple supporting? Less than 20?

Ps. Use your iPhone as NAV without CarPlay for few hours. It'll give battery overheat, peak performance crapped out errors. Never had it with any Samsung Galaxy S1 thru 22...

customizing settings, in very generic pov, is still lacking on iPhone.

Anyhow, it's really moot point to compare features, customization, expandability of Android with crippled iOS. Android has more features, supports more things and is superior to iPhone in every imaginable way. Period. 😂
Say NO to iPhone, don't be a victim to social pressure 📵 🔫🔫🔫🤣
Don't worry, there's Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Venmo, Zelle. 😁

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
iPhone is kinda like Tesla in terms of limited models, limited BOM, etc. and in-house capabilities for all, more locked approach..
It's the safest approach.
100% agree. I share the same opinion about the iPhone as I do about Teslas (ok caveat on my opinion on Teslas, since most I see on the road are not performance models):

The iPhone is 100% an NPC phone just like how I think model 3s and Ys are NPC cars/suvs. They’re not particularly exciting or anything but they are functional for the masses who don’t want to think about what phone or car to use/drive.

vacanter

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 3.0 Premium
When Apple lets me control every single aspect of the phone's function and applications, I will switch. Until then: Android. I won't use an OS that actively fights to stop me from doing something.
This is pretty much why I switched from iOS to Android back in like 2012. Yeah, it can be argued that the Android OS being so open introduces confusion, security, and stability vulnerabilities if you don't know what you're doing, but it's a worthwhile trade off.

Being able to control, manipulate, and customize your phone exactly however you want without having to fight the operating system's limitations is a big plus for me. From apps like Nova Launcher that entirely change how your home screen tiles, dock, app folders, and gestures function, to running unsigned applications (ReVanced and system-wide ad blockers😎), and even custom ROMs if you really wanna revolutionize your phone really puts Android above iOS in my opinion. Even just simple things like independent volume control for notifications/media/ringtones/system sounds like @XtremeMaC mentioned earlier. I remember seriously having to jailbreak my iPhone just to get a proper file system explorer lmao. Androids already had one from factory and still do.

Like, I get the desire for iOS due to its simplicity, wider commercial support, and FaceTime/Messages functionality for family/friends and all that. Not everyone has a use for the utilities I mentioned earlier, but once you get a taste of them it can be really difficult to go back once you realize there are no equivalents on the App Store.

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
When it's blanked, on your dash click on the google maps, it should show up, then you can back out if you want to see the other stuff also.
I've tried that, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. It just goes full screen blank and stays blank if I back out.

I've also tried opening the maps app on my phone when it's blank and that gets it to show up, but eventually it stops tracking my movements and basically freezes until I open the app again on my phone.

Going in to airplane mode and back out has been the only semi-reliable method of getting it to work. I will say though that this has only been more of an issue with the recent iOS 16.6 Update I think it is, so maybe things will improve with 17, I'm not sure.

Either way it's just one of the personal downsides to me as I tend to prefer the UI/Feel of Google maps vs Apple Maps, and I find it routes me more reliably.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I've tried that, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. It just goes full screen blank and stays blank if I back out.

I've also tried opening the maps app on my phone when it's blank and that gets it to show up, but eventually it stops tracking my movements and basically freezes until I open the app again on my phone.

Going in to airplane mode and back out has been the only semi-reliable method of getting it to work. I will say though that this has only been more of an issue with the recent iOS 16.6 Update I think it is, so maybe things will improve with 17, I'm not sure.

Either way it's just one of the personal downsides to me as I tend to prefer the UI/Feel of Google maps vs Apple Maps, and I find it routes me more reliably.
I experience this with 16.6 as well even on my iDrive 7 on X6.
What I usually do is, open maps on my iphone and close it, swipe it (kill it, another annoying thing about iOS. don't know if it's really closed).. It closes Maps on iDrive as well. Next time, I set my destination on the phone and re-open Maps on iDrive.
Seems to work. not a 100% though. Can't recall if this was on earlier iOS builds..

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
What I usually do is, open maps on my iphone and close it, swipe it (kill it, another annoying thing about iOS. don't know if it's really closed).. It closes Maps on iDrive as well. Next time, I set my destination on the phone and re-open Maps on iDrive.
Seems to work. not a 100% though. Can't recall if this was on earlier iOS builds..
It definitely was a lot more reliable on earlier builds. Prior to 16.6 I'd say it was fine 90% of the time, and the other 10% I'd either have to just re-open the app on my phone or toggle airplane mode quickly and I'd be off.

Something must have changed with how aggressive the built-in battery management is towards Google Maps in the most recent build because I'd say it's a 50/50 chance now as to whether it'll work or not, and I find the longer the car sits (IE leaving it overnight) the higher the chance of it being a blank screen the next time I get in.

CC3

First Name
C.H.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Stratosphere)
I haven't gotten an iPhone for the new Supra yet. I was planning to. But stories like this are why I am seriously considering getting a Bimmertech MMI Prime and keeping my Android phone. I have been an avid Android user since the 2010s and have grown accustomed to it. Android rarely presents me with any issues. I have to use Apple products for work and it is okay for the most part. I learned to deal with it. I don't care about platform or brand loyalty. I just want something that works as promised with minimum issues or fuss. What you described in your post is definitely not what I want to deal with. Having to do it professionally is one thing. Personally, I don't like or want to waste my time.
Sponsored