GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@NicKnack " I find AA works better than Carplay " thats crazy! My wife tried using her AA in her 4Runner and she couldn't figure it out and has never used it since! But she swears Android is better, lol...
Sponsored

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
@NicKnack " I find AA works better than Carplay " thats crazy! My wife tried using her AA in her 4Runner and she couldn't figure it out and has never used it since! But she swears Android is better, lol...
Different strokes, everyone will have their own opinion on it. I had AA in my previous BRZ, and in my GF's STI and it's worked flawlessly for us, and I just find it runs a bit smoother/more fluidly for me.

Most of my issues with Apple aren't with the iPhone itself, hardware wise it's fine, the battery life, display and Camera are all great, and iOS is fine as an OS, I don't find it unintuitive, or difficult to use. My issues mainly lie with Apple's business practices and them forcing you in to their ecosystem, even though their Apps, at least to me aren't as good as the competition.

Waze and Google Maps are better than Apple Maps, WhatsApp is better than the standard messaging App, they won't adopt RCS messaging so that they can keep iMessage proprietary and act like it's an exclusive feature, they stuck with the lightning cable which was in every way inferior to USB-C for no reason other than they got to charge a premium for their cables, and only changed for the upcoming iPhone 15 because they were forced to by law, and if you want to have proper backups, they force you to pay for iCloud storage, which is just Google storage that's being resold at a premium through Apple.

If I'm paying $1300 for the phone, I should get to pick what apps I want to use as my defaults for certain things without having to fight the device to do so, and it's the primary reason I prefer Android, they just let you do it

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I've owned almost every make of smartphone you can have (yes I had a windows phone). I had the original iPhone, the original Google android phone, a Dell android phone (if anyone even remembers those), two Samsung Galaxy phones, a windows phone, hell I even had a Blackberry back in the days before Apple and Google dominated everything.

My last like four phones have all been Apple. I realized a long time ago I'm not a nerd who digs into his phone and actually uses any of the unique features or special functions. I don't customize anything, I make phone calls, I send texts, I read emails, and I have music that I want to play over my car stereo. I'm simple, and from my experience Apple stuff is made for simple people like me.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I've owned almost every make of smartphone you can have (yes I had a windows phone). I had the original iPhone, the original Google android phone, a Dell android phone (if anyone even remembers those), two Samsung Galaxy phones, a windows phone, hell I even had a Blackberry back in the days before Apple and Google dominated everything.

My last like four phones have all been Apple. I realized a long time ago I'm not a nerd who digs into his phone and actually uses any of the unique features or special functions. I don't customize anything, I make phone calls, I send texts, I read emails, and I have music that I want to play over my car stereo. I'm simple, and from my experience Apple stuff is made for simple people like me.

Should've got a cheap android and put it into "easy mode" - save you a grand ;)

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Don’t ever want to give up my iPhone 12 Mini. Perfect size, perfect shape, perfect looks. Same can be said for my MacBook Pro 14”.

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
14/10 Apple in favor

Reactions: zrk

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well, like @Diablo said, I'm getting less interested in doing certain things these days, but yet to change my mind:

I realized a long time ago I'm not a nerd who digs into his phone and actually uses any of the unique features or special functions. I don't customize anything, I make phone calls, I send texts, I read emails, and I have music that I want to play over my car stereo. I'm simple, and from my experience Apple stuff is made for simple people like me.
I'm the quite opposite.

I have been forced to use Apple since 2017 for work, so I have both Apple and Android so it's fairly easy for me to compare.

1) Top of my head, the fact that you don't have a proper back button is extremely annoying and for those who never tried Android don't even know what they're missing. I can even add hovering customized buttons on Android.
2) File/Picture manage on iOS. oh my god does that suck or what. You save a picture and it's saved in File Explorer with some default name abc123, doesn't show up under pictures. You've to go select, Show in All Photos. Good luck moving it to a folder. No, it has to be an Album and some other annoyances. Yeah, no I don't use iTunes or MacOS so can't comment on how well it's to manage on the computer. In Windows file explorer, it sucks to manage iPhone.
3) Volume adjusting. I want my music loud, other crap not so loud. Can't change it. Android, I can select individual volumes for system, notifications, browser, apps... I can route music over BT and other crap on phone as well simultaneously.
4) Default alert sound for everything. I hate this the most. I get weather notifications the same sound for email. WTF.
5) Widgets. On Android, I can have infinite pages to add widgets, useful widgets, even many home automation shortcuts and so much more in the size that I want..

Back in the early days, I dabbled a lot with custom firmware. It was somewhat more important as HW wasn't as great for any phone. Still you can do great customizations with LineageOS and others. Bundle good stuff in, remove bundled crap.

You don't have to "JailBreak" to use or side-load apps on Android. Just download an APK from anywhere, install, have fun on Droid. Many App Stores exists. Not just 1.
Full disclosure, I have not JailBreak'ed any of my work iPhones, so I don't know what I'm truly missing. but as I understand it's to install apps. so can't be missing much..

I don't know if I missed anything on my iPhone or my X6 or if my iPhone is old gen (latest software 16.6 on iPhone SE 2022), but when I use the NAV on iPhone, (Google Maps, Waze) it won't show up on my car's HUD or Dash. Nicely shows up with Android Phone..

ah many more that I can't recall right now.. Many stuff that you can't even do on iPhone, because it's ecosystem won't allow you, like I use IFTTT to automate things. You could argue that it's IFTTT's limitation (it's not) but options, App controls I have on Android are not even supported/found on iPhone..

👎 iPhone and their sales crap. USB-C FTW 😁

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
This thread reminds me that I need a new phone. Still rocking my Sidekick 2.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I never had an i phone yet but my next phone is finally gonna be one, and having it work with the Supra is a bonus/part of the reasons but not just that, only ever had Samsungs so I thought I'd give Apple a try.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Started with iPhone back in the day, and then changed to Android ever since. I just prefer all the customization options on Android, like a mini pc. I have a Samsung Z Fold, and really enjoy opening it up for the bigger screen when needed.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Started with iPhone back in the day, and then changed to Android ever since. I just prefer all the customization options on Android, like a mini pc. I have a Samsung Z Fold, and really enjoy opening it up for the bigger screen when needed.
Wife had Z flip, then Z fold 4 was a must. She's loving it. I'd get it if it comfortably fitted my pocket + 2nd phone.

I think if not for the price and people's fear over the middle seam breaking it'd sell more. Both flip n fold have 0 issues with seam to this day despite wife and daughter dropping it many times (almost every day occurrence)

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Wife had Z flip, then Z fold 4 was a must. She's loving it. I'd get it if it comfortably fitted my pocket + 2nd phone.

I think if not for the price and people's fear over the middle seam breaking it'd sell more. Both flip n fold have 0 issues with seam to this day despite wife and daughter dropping it many times (almost every day occurrence)
Haha yea, it's a great phone, no complaints. It IS a bit heavy and thick for sure though. I've dropped it and my 4 yr old daughter has as well("here's yr phone dad!" Bam, to the floor!) many times. No seams, cracks or visible issues with the foldable screen either.