AWE touring resonated or HKS

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I have the AWE resonated touring system with an AA dp and it sounds amazing…[snip]…The AA downpipe will certainly introduce a more mid-high pitch exhaust tone at 3k+ RPMs in addition to the deep growl below 3k but it really does sound great.
I have the same setup and absolutely love it.

On cold start it’s definitely got some “authority”, but within about 90 secs will settle down into an idle that’s a bit deeper than stock but not much louder (if at all).

Around 1500-2k the tone is deeper than stock, so it doesn’t completely disappear in “normal” driving, but it isn’t obnoxious by any means. You can still carry on a phone call, chat with a passenger, or enjoy music. On the freeway it’s pretty much drowned out by tire noise.

Rev the car out and it just sounds spectacular. Sport mode has all kinds of nuances that come to life with the AWE (beyond the somewhat louder pops/burbles). Backing off from mid- to part throttle on a backroad in sport mode has this aggressive warble that’s really hard to describe or capture. Slightly Porsche GT-car-esque, refined but also a little raw, a little bit unhinged. LOL. The car howls from 3500 to redline.

My last car’s exhaust set up was quite loud all the time. It was fun for a while, but eventually became tiresome. It was hard to hear my partner when we went out in it. I couldn’t take calls. Music just added to the headache. My partner was dubious when I said I was going to get a catback for the Supra, and when I picked it up from install I wondered what she was going to think. She loves it!

AWE has definitely put engineering time into their system. I’m sure the HKS sounds great too.

Highly recommended
Sponsored

Last edited:

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
I have the same setup and absolutely love it.

On cold start it’s definitely got some “authority”, but within about 90 secs will settle down into an idle that’s a bit deeper than stock but not much louder (if at all).

Around 1500-2k the tone is deeper than stock, so it doesn’t completely disappear in “normal” driving, but it isn’t obnoxious by any means. You can still carry on a phone call, chat with a passenger, or enjoy music. On the freeway it’s pretty much drowned out by tire noise.

Rev the car out and it just sounds spectacular. Sport mode has all kinds of nuances that come to life with the AWE (beyond the somewhat louder pops/burbles). Backing off from mid- to part throttle on a backroad in sport mode has this aggressive warble that’s really hard to describe or capture. Slightly Porsche GT-car-esque, refined but also a little raw, a little bit unhinged. LOL. The car howls from 3500 to redline.

My last car’s exhaust set up was quite loud all the time. It was fun for a while, but eventually became tiresome. It was hard to hear my partner when we went out in it. I couldn’t take calls. Music just added to the headache. My partner was dubious when I said I was going to get a catback for the Supra, and when I picked it up from install I wondered what she was going to think. She loves it!

AWE has definitely put engineering time into their system. I’m sure the HKS sounds great too.

Highly recommended

AWE Exhaust Meme.jpg

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I have awe touring with a catless dp and without the resonators it sounded terrible, I added 8' vibrant resonators, basically turning it into the resonated system and now it sounds much better, still loud, but not obnoxious, and has a unique smooth tone, catless will almost always have a little rasp but it is nice. between 3-4 you get that e92 m3 sound which is cool. I have some videos on youtube, I like it.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I have the HKS exhaust. Cold starts can be a bit loud but I think it's slightly louder than stock exhaust when car is running in normal mode. Sport mode is definitely louder than stock but in my opinion it's not obnoxiously loud. I'm running the stock dp at the moment. I'll try to get some sound clips. I ordered AA dp so I'm curious to see what it sounds like once I get it installed.
hmu when you swap that stock dp out, I'll buy it!

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
Either choice is solid. I have the AWE resonated with a Titan catless downpipe and it sounds money. Very exotic sounding...like a much more expensive car. Previous exhaust was basically all straight piped and was WAY too loud and sounded like shit. Instant return for the AWE and couldn't be happier. Resonators are a must for this car with a downpipe unless you only track it or rarely drive it.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Either choice is solid. I have the AWE resonated with a Titan catless downpipe and it sounds money. Very exotic sounding...like a much more expensive car. Previous exhaust was basically all straight piped and was WAY too loud and sounded like shit. Instant return for the AWE and couldn't be happier. Resonators are a must for this car with a downpipe unless you only track it or rarely drive it.
totally agreed, with. HFC u can get away with non res, but on a catless setup u need resonators

Jammon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, BRZ, MGB, Triumph TR3, AH 100-4,
I have the HKS exhaust. Cold starts can be a bit loud but I think it's slightly louder than stock exhaust when car is running in normal mode. Sport mode is definitely louder than stock but in my opinion it's not obnoxiously loud. I'm running the stock dp at the moment. I'll try to get some sound clips. I ordered AA dp so I'm curious to see what it sounds like once I get it installed.
I have the same exhaust and agree completely

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
True. But I would still recommend the resonated system even with a HFC to produce a louder but refined tone.
Agreed! Mine is a “modded res” because I was so “in love” with the sound of non res and catless (wanted to drive the car off a bridge with me in it) I ordered the res section in 10 minutes of hearing it; but it was gonna take 9-10 weeks, I couldn’t do that so I had AWE send me the schematics and what resonators and sizing they use and just had my own made, expect instead of their 6 inch, I used 8” cause that’s all that a was in stock. I love it! Such a unique exotic sounding tone and it still even has a touch of rasp that I actually enjoy

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
Here is a sound clip of AA dp and the HKS exhaust. I have the HKS intake too. I'll try to get some clips from inside the car so you can hear the difference. Wasn't speeding, just having a little fun after a car meet. My friend is in his evo recording me.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Hmm… thinking the person who started this thread over 14 months ago has probably already made a decision.

OP
OP

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
You're right!
Happy as heck, when I need a little more sound I just hit sport. Have a nice holiday everyone.

OP
OP

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
Exhaust
AWE Touring Resonated, Big Mouth, Evelution CAI, FTP Charge pipe, Autowerke's catted down pipe, and JB4 map 3. This is my last go around so I've bought just about everything offered for the Supra. I'm looking for new wheels than I'll be happy with the final product. Next I'll have the tune fine tuned at a professional tuner and Dyno ed, I'll post the Dyno numbers when I get them.

rowdy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Renaissance Red 2.0 A90 Supra 3.0L
Installing an AA DP on either the AWE or HKS is going to make a big difference in terms of volume and tone.

I have the AWE resonated touring system with an AA dp and it sounds amazing. Definitely louder than the OEM DP but not too loud. The B58's must have a High-Flow Cat + Resonators + Mufflers to produce a nice deep non-raspy tone in my opinion. The AA downpipe will certainly introduce a more mid-high pitch exhaust tone at 3k+ RPMs in addition to the deep growl below 3k but it really does sound great.
bringing back an old thread but couldn’t find anything so wanted to ask if this combo of AA DP and AWE touring exhaust brings any drone while going through the RPM range i.e. highway speeds. My mustang GT with Roush catback exhaust had terrible drone at highway speeds so want to avoid that again lol.
Sponsored