B58 JB Plus Quick Install Tuner ....

anon2k2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 ed. Supra
I had (well still have, but unused) a JB+ installed for a couple of weeks but got the upgrade bug and ended up getting a JB4. My 2021 Supra has a locked ECU so a piggy-back is my only option.

I didn't have any issues with it, and while I don't have official dyno numbers, there was definitely a noticeable increase in power, especially from 3,000 to 4,500 rpm. No CELs or codes, no weird throttle response or hesitation.

Everything worked really well from my view.
Sponsored

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra Premium
I had (well still have, but unused) a JB+ installed for a couple of weeks but got the upgrade bug and ended up getting a JB4. My 2021 Supra has a locked ECU so a piggy-back is my only option.

I didn't have any issues with it, and while I don't have official dyno numbers, there was definitely a noticeable increase in power, especially from 3,000 to 4,500 rpm. No CELs or codes, no weird throttle response or hesitation.

Everything worked really well from my view.
Was the price increase to go full JB4 worth it in your opinion over the JB+?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Please keep us posted...
I'm really debating get this...would love additional feedback...

Steve
Welp, the only thing good I have to report is mine arrived today, two days early according to the tracking information. Everything is down hill from there. My experience is almost identical to Raidernation. I installed it at and drove to work. The car felt very sluggish, sort of like a hesitation, didn't shift as smoothly as stock and was down (noticeably) on power. Then when I left work this evening, I had (still have) a CEL and the same hesitation/sluggishness. I experimented with settings this evening from max to min and in the middle. On the minimum setting it was a little smoother but still down on power. The max and middle settings made no difference.

I've removed it and the car runs like normal again (thank goodness) but I still have the CEL that I'm now going to have to get cleared.

Obviously, this thing is being returned and after this experience I will not be trying another one.

Raidernation - please tell me more about the car scanner app you used to clear the CEL.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Hate to hear the horror stories with the jb+. I have to think that there is something "missing" when making the connections to the sensors since multiple users are having the same problem??????

This has probably been tried and I know it is somewhat a pain but have you tried disconnecting battery before connecting? This will definitely make sure the ECU is sleep during install.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Welp, the only thing good I have to report is mine arrived today, two days early according to the tracking information. Everything is down hill from there. My experience is almost identical to Raidernation. I installed it at and drove to work. The car felt very sluggish, sort of like a hesitation, didn't shift as smoothly as stock and was down (noticeably) on power. Then when I left work this evening, I had (still have) a CEL and the same hesitation/sluggishness. I experimented with settings this evening from max to min and in the middle. On the minimum setting it was a little smoother but still down on power. The max and middle settings made no difference.

I've removed it and the car runs like normal again (thank goodness) but I still have the CEL that I'm now going to have to get cleared.

Obviously, this thing is being returned and after this experience I will not be trying another one.

Raidernation - please tell me more about the car scanner app you used to clear the CEL.
Well that BLOWS....
Have you reached out to the manufacturer?
Just curious to know how they explain the issue...

Guess I'll save my money...sorry you guys had issues

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I have a 7/20 build date and this ordeal is making me second guess trying it out.
Wish they could just be unlocked already

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I understand the financial differences but honestly just go jb4 and enjoy the boost in power. It's super easy to install and configure. Sure it costs more but it's a much better platform with outstanding support.

anon2k2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 ed. Supra
Was the price increase to go full JB4 worth it in your opinion over the JB+?
I got a great deal on mine from one of the forum members, so definitely yes. Even at retail, I would say so. The increase in power from map 1 (roughly the same as JB+) and map2 and map 3 is pretty amazing.

I also like being able to log and see what's going on with ignition timing and boost, just so I can make sure things are doing what' they're supposed to.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Well that BLOWS....
Have you reached out to the manufacturer?
Just curious to know how they explain the issue...

Guess I'll save my money...sorry you guys had issues
Yes, here's the response:

"Thanks for reaching out. Sorry you did not have a positive experience, we don't get many of the JB+ units back.

Did you get a chance to work with our support team at all? We've seen an influx of some end users installing the JB+ in the incorrect sensor, and then once removed the issues go away.

You didn't by chance to take a photo of the install did you?"

Not sure what to make of this are you sure you didn't plug it in the wrong sensor response. There is only one three prong sensor on the intake tube near the throttle body. There is a second sensor right beside it but it's a two prong that would be impossible to plug into...

The good news is my CEL cleared itself this morning. It was on on the drive into work but is now off on the drive home for lunch. So there's that.

Raidernation

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium Supra

"Thanks for reaching out. Sorry you did not have a positive experience, we don't get many of the JB+ units back.

Did you get a chance to work with our support team at all? We've seen an influx of some end users installing the JB+ in the incorrect sensor, and then once removed the issues go away.

Not sure what to make of this are you sure you didn't plug it in the wrong sensor response. There is only one three prong sensor on the intake tube near the throttle body. There is a second sensor right beside it but it's a two prong that would be impossible to plug into...

The good news is my CEL cleared itself this morning. It was on on the drive into work but is now off on the drive home for lunch. So there's that.
I got that same response. Sent a picture of the sensor I plugged into and their response was I had a defective unit. I can’t see all us with the same issues getting defective units.

FYI I sent them links to these threads

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
Did BMS offer to replace your JB+ with another unit? It may be worth a shot to see if the replacement JB+ is issue free before spending extra money towards the JB4, especially if you only plan on utilizing pump gas.

Not all of us are having problems with the JB+ so there's still hope with the second unit should you choose to try again. In my case with my A91, I waited 30 minutes after locking the doors with the hood up before installing the JB+ and I also made sure to slowly let the ECU get acquainted with the change by keeping RPMs below 4k for a few miles before I gradually went to the higher RPMs and eventually to WOT pulls. Not sure if these precautions make a difference but so far so good with my personal experience using the JB+ with 93 octane the past few weeks.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I

I got that same response. Sent a picture of the sensor I plugged into and their response was I had a defective unit. I can’t see all us with the same issues getting defective units.

FYI I sent them links to these threads

YOU SURE YOU DIDN'T PLUG A 3 PRONG CONNECTOR INTO A 2 PRONG HOLE....lol...

I really hope they sent you a replacement unit...maybe it truely is faulty..

I ordered a chip from Tuner Motorsports for an e36 a few years ago...out of the box it was no good...

So I guess it's possible that the unit is bad...just doesn't make sense that a few people here are having issues...

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Cleared the code with the car scanner app.
Make sure the JB+ is not plugged in after clearing the codes. Disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes. Then install the JB+ and reconnect the battery. If you unplug or plug in the JB+ while the battery is hooked up then RIP your ECU
Sponsored