2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Come on, all it takes is one click to figure out what @Levanime does.

For someone that is trying to "unlock and inform the community", you sure don't seem curious about others. That doesn't mean you have to pander to them nor are they "gate keepers".

Now I just think you like being provocative.

aclarker

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Be aware of this recall that's for sure. My ECU bricked out when Toyota Country Hills did the the update. They ordered the ECU from God knows where..? I've been without the car since April 25th. We have a shortened driving season being from the great white north. Sucks!!

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra, 2017 BMW X5
Be aware of this recall that's for sure. My ECU bricked out when Toyota Country Hills did the the update. They ordered the ECU from God knows where..? I've been without the car since April 25th. We have a shortened driving season being from the great white north. Sucks!!
LMAO sorry to hear man, im in calgary as well and Country Hills would be my dealer, this just gives me reconfirmation that my choice to not do the recall was the smart choice.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Brutal... for me it was my headunit. So the car was still able to be driven. Just the touch screen for nav was blue screen of death. Insane how toyota canada handles these cars.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Get the recall done people, sheesh.

You probably have a higher chance of breaking your braking system without the recall than you do breaking an electronics part by getting one.

That alone should be enough reason to get the recall done.

Just make sure you convey to your dealer what mods you have installed so they can give you an honest assessment of the risks associated with the recall.

The basic rundown is that if you have non-oem electronics, you increase the chance of the head unit blowing. And no, unplugging them isn't going to solve that. You need to have the OEM electronics hooked up.

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
Get the recall done people, sheesh.

You probably have a higher chance of breaking your braking system without the recall than you do breaking an electronics part by getting one.

That alone should be enough reason to get the recall done.

Just make sure you convey to your dealer what mods you have installed so they can give you an honest assessment of the risks associated with the recall.

The basic rundown is that if you have non-oem electronics, you increase the chance of the head unit blowing. And no, unplugging them isn't going to solve that. You need to have the OEM electronics hooked up.
if i have a JB4
i should be worried?

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
if i have a JB4
i should be worried?
I'll preface this with I'm not a Supra tech, and only one of them could accurately tell you if your particular mod setup creates increased risk for the update.

From the conversation I had with the Supra tech at my local dealer, it basically comes down to this:

If it plugs into the system's electronics, and you leave it plugged in, it increases your chances of having issues during the recall software update.
The same can be said if you remove system electronics with no replacement.
Chances increase with something as small as simply changing your speakers with direct plug and play replacements.

The update apparently runs a check of the vehicles systems and checks the system electronics for things such as resistances and the like, so if you have electronics that have different resistances in the system they have a less than zero-percent chance of causing an issue.

Not that it's definite, but that the chance is increased with each change.

TLDR: probably not going to cause you any issues, but it probably also increases your chances of having an issue if you leave it plugged in.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Ecutek with a Pure 850, flex fuel, bimmercoded a few things, bimmertech car play mmi, and upgraded speakers.

Tried reaching out to those listed about the update without relocking the ecu, no luck. Guess I'm just going to continue to stomp on my brake pedal and hit the start button with authority when I start the car.

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Recall flash work done on any Supra will lock the DME. It will give you full screen Apple CarPlay.

If you are a pre-06/2020 and you were unlocked and/or tuned, you now are locked again and will require a bench unlock to flash your DME with an aftermarket tune.
If you are a post-06/2020, then you are hardware locked and there is no bench flash available to unlock. Sending it to FEMTO to get it unlocked is currently the only way. Go ahead and do the update if this is your case.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Recall flash work done on any Supra will lock the DME. It will give you full screen Apple CarPlay.

If you are a pre-06/2020 and you were unlocked and/or tuned, you now are locked again and will require a bench unlock to flash your DME with an aftermarket tune.
If you are a post-06/2020, then you are hardware locked and there is no bench flash available to unlock. Sending it to FEMTO to get it unlocked is currently the only way. Go ahead and do the update if this is your case.
My car is a pre-06/20 car. So, I would be able to receive the bench unlock after getting the recall work done.
Sponsored