Best overall air intake upgrade?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Is the gold wrap functional? Looks amazing with the clear cover. Considering buying a clear cover for my MST V2. intake as well. By far the best intake on the market in my opinion, I chose it over the Armaspeed and couldn't be happier.
About 5-10 degrees lower with it on vs with it off, which wasn't bad for $20. I've got the Verus heat shield also on, which reduced the IATs a lot more.

Edit: a little bit for the function, but mostly that it provides a pop of color.

Last edited:

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
Best based on what? From a design standpoint the MST is incredibly mediocre, the fitment around the car panels is mediocre and an open bottom exposed to stuff coming up from the front wheel well isn’t great either.
Based on the sound it provides. I haven't seen anything from a build quality perspective that brings it down.

Don't get me wrong, Armaspeed is good, but I cant justify the cost compared to the MST. Not to mention there was a post on the forums recently which highlighted some shortfalls of the Armaspeed design.

As for the exposed underside of the MST intake, i cant imagine anything but dust particles barely getting through because gravity.

I also prefer the look of the MST with the clear cover as opposed to the carbon fibre of the Armaspeed.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
It's the worst! Took me four tries and I dropped pieces and parts as well. Blech
Yeah, just had to thread the needle. Only took me a minute though

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
yeah it’s basically MST is #2 and eventuri #1 (if you want to pay extra)

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
yeah it’s basically MST is #2 and eventuri #1 (if you want to pay extra)
Its all about preference:

I'd say any intake with closed-box design that utilizes the factory ducting is #1 if you care about internal air temperature and optimized airflow (eventuri, afe, injen, HKS, etc)

Any open intake (just the pipe and filter) is #1 if you want maximum sound and are not worried about air temperatures and heat soak

Any pseudo closed-box design where it gives the illusion of a closed box but really isn't if you want to balance sound, price, looks, and have some protection against heat (Armaspeed, mst, etc)

When it comes to raw numbers it's circumstantial based on what your goals are and what your mods require. It's also been said somewhere before that the turbo provides a whole lot of suction any way you look at it so all the differences are pretty minor as far as air flow unless the filter being used is abnormally restrictive. Assuming you're comparing objectively without a specific goal in mind.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Its all about preference:

I'd say any intake with closed-box design that utilizes the factory ducting is #1 if you care about internal air temperature and optimized airflow (eventuri, afe, injen, HKS, etc)

Any open intake (just the pipe and filter) is #1 if you want maximum sound and are not worried about air temperatures and heat soak

Any pseudo closed-box design where it gives the illusion of a closed box but really isn't if you want to balance sound, price, looks, and have some protection against heat (Armaspeed, mst, etc)

When it comes to raw numbers it's circumstantial based on what your goals are and what your mods require. It's also been said somewhere before that the turbo provides a whole lot of suction any way you look at it so all the differences are pretty minor as far as air flow unless the filter being used is abnormally restrictive. Assuming you're comparing objectively without a specific goal in mind.
My comment was the general consensus of this group made a while back. It came in terms of looks, quality, sound, price, IAT proven decrease off dynos, and gains from dynos.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based on the sound it provides. I haven't seen anything from a build quality perspective that brings it down.

Don't get me wrong, Armaspeed is good, but I cant justify the cost compared to the MST. Not to mention there was a post on the forums recently which highlighted some shortfalls of the Armaspeed design.

As for the exposed underside of the MST intake, i cant imagine anything but dust particles barely getting through because gravity.

I also prefer the look of the MST with the clear cover as opposed to the carbon fibre of the Armaspeed.
I've had the MST V2 on for almost 8 months and 6000 miles, and I haven't noticed any debris in the intake area at all. I've opened up the intake twice to change the lid and do the gold wrap on the intake pipe, and there's no debris or anything.

The lid did have some fitment issues, but nothing that a screwdriver used as a wedge didn't solve. From what I've heard, Armaspeed and Eventuri also had different fitment problems as well, based on some past threads.

Could debris get up there? There is a possibility but it's low. I'd argue there's a higher risk of someone having installed it poorly.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I've had the MST V2 on for almost 8 months and 6000 miles, and I haven't noticed any debris in the intake area at all. I've opened up the intake twice to change the lid and do the gold wrap on the intake pipe, and there's no debris or anything.

The lid did have some fitment issues, but nothing that a screwdriver used as a wedge didn't solve. From what I've heard, Armaspeed and Eventuri also had different fitment problems as well, based on some past threads.

Could debris get up there? There is a possibility but it's low. I'd argue there's a higher risk of someone having installed it poorly.
There's not really anything to worry about there. It's fine. You've got the box and the cone filter.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium

The eventuri is like perfect exact fitment so if you don't line it up right it'll give you problems trying to line it all up after the fact. Once you find the right orientation, it's simple. Took me like 5min to line up honestly but if someone isn't use to working on cars then it can be tricky at first. If you don't clean the area where the connector attaches to the inlet it could slip off as well. You just have to use a bit of common sense tbh lol

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah, just had to thread the needle. Only took me a minute though
Well, I have hoses rerouted due to a Verus Engineering AOS, so what's in that area for me isn't in the normal place. My desire to unhook everything for the AOS to more easily get to that screw was less than trying to get to it repeatedly. In the end, however, it would have taken significantly less time and been much less frustrating. Lesson learned.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There's not really anything to worry about there. It's fine. You've got the box and the cone filter.
I'm not really worried. The design of the wheel well makes the risk virtually negligible and engines are designed with tolerances for environmental wear taken into account.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The eventuri is like perfect exact fitment so if you don't line it up right it'll give you problems trying to line it all up after the fact. Once you find the right orientation, it's simple. Took me like 5min to line up honestly but if someone isn't use to working on cars then it can be tricky at first. If you don't clean the area where the connector attaches to the inlet it could slip off as well. You just have to use a bit of common sense tbh lol
Yeah I looked back. it was an alignment issue that I saw.

Z4_M40i

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW Z4 M40i, BMW 740xd, GR Yaris CP
Ive read the thread and still totally undecided. :)

In the uk the MST is £330, Injen is £400 and the Eventuri £1250.

Carbon fibre looks cool as fuck but the difference in cost pay for a remap or jb4.
Sponsored