Blackvue Dashcam with Parking mode and no external battery?

godbiggy

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Hi guys,

I am coming from a Subaru BRZ where I had my Blackvue Dashcam tapped into an always on fuse with the BlackVue Power Magic Pro box, and had no problems doing constant parked mode recordings for 1-2 days straight on my cars AGM battery (made sure it cuts off at 60%).

However, on the Supra platform I haven't heard anyone doing it this way and would like to confirm if this is feasible or will cause the car to throw a code.

I am not opposed to doing an external battery, but unfortunately there's no easy on/off switch like the Magic Pro box as I wouldn't want my dashcam to record when I park the car at home.

If anyone has some insight or possibly wiring up a on/off switch on an external battery please let me know

Thanks

image0.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 19-50-21 Blackvue Power Magic Pro Vehicle Battery Discharge Preventio...png
Sponsored

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6
I am not opposed to doing an external battery, but unfortunately there's no easy on/off switch like the Magic Pro box as I wouldn't want my dashcam to record when I park the car at home.
You don't want the dash cam to record while the car is parked? Just want to make sure I understand what you're asking

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
Hi guys,

I am coming from a Subaru BRZ where I had my Blackvue Dashcam tapped into an always on fuse with the BlackVue Power Magic Pro box, and had no problems doing constant parked mode recordings for 1-2 days straight on my cars AGM battery (made sure it cuts off at 60%).

However, on the Supra platform I haven't heard anyone doing it this way and would like to confirm if this is feasible or will cause the car to throw a code.

If anyone has some insight or possibly wiring up a on/off switch on an external battery please let me know

Thanks

image0.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 19-50-21 Blackvue Power Magic Pro Vehicle Battery Discharge Preventio...png
Sup OP. I also tried this route when wiring up my blackvue. I am going to say this. It will throw a code. Maybe that code won't be a big problem but the code it threw for me was:

"Battery malfunction while shutting down vehicle electronics" Just a heads up if you look on the bimmer forums, some people have also mentioned this. Not surprised lol.

Now idk if this is a huge problem tbh because this problem was intermittent. Sometimes it threw this error and sometimes it didn't. Car started fine and even survived cold Chicago winter winters with this error too. But ultimately I got the external battery because any warning like this didn't make me feel comfortable, and after that no warnings, and everything has been working smoothly ever since. Blackvue has some wonky user experience in their apps..but it's nice to see your external battery charge level.

OP
OP

godbiggy

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
You don't want the dash cam to record while the car is parked? Just want to make sure I understand what you're asking

I will only use the park mode when I am going out and parking it outside, other than that I won't have the dashcam on like at home in my garage

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
I will only use the park mode when I am going out and parking it outside, other than that I won't have the dashcam on like at home in my garage
Interested In this aswell. Aside from hardwiring/fusing any other alternatives?

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
Interested In this aswell. Aside from hardwiring/fusing any other alternatives?
If you don't want to hardwire at all...you could use your OBD2 port as a power source. I have seen people do it for other cars idk how it's going to work with supra since BMW and electronics are very particular.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
If you don't want to hardwire at all...you could use your OBD2 port as a power source. I have seen people do it for other cars idk how it's going to work with supra since BMW and electronics are very particular.
it throws a code and can even cause the alarm to go off lol. Ask anyone that leaves their wifi adapter plugged into the obd port.

i definitely recommend an external battery pack. the blackvue B-130X does have a switch, so if you put it in your glove box you can switch it on and off when you want. the only downside is it is max ~30hrs of parking recording.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
it throws a code and can even cause the alarm to go off lol. Ask anyone that leaves their wifi adapter plugged into the obd port.
You can code this out with BimmerCode.
Sponsored