BMS Stud Conversion

Eddie21

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I installed my BMS stud conversion two months ago. Do you guys that have these retorque them periodically or leave as is after installed?
I used torque wrench and blue loctite.
Sponsored

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
only after the initial install and after about 50 miles
I'll check them along with the lug nuts just to be sure
Loctite is also used
I've gone through 7 different Motorsports Hardware stud kits in 5 different Bimmers and have never had an issue if installed correctly

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I just removed a set of steel ones for titanium ones, and the steel ones were in there good with 25ftlbs and loctite blue. Had to gun them out.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I just removed a set of steel ones for titanium ones, and the steel ones were in there good with 25ftlbs and loctite blue. Had to gun them out.
Uh, you had to use a gun to break free 25ft/lbs? Okay.

I just refreshed mine after a season and used double nut and a wrench. Some of them easily cracked loose. A couple others I had to slightly raise my voice and state "I'm a man!" and then they broke free. Keep in mind I probably took on/off wheels over 20x during the season.

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra

I just refreshed mine after a season and used double nut and a wrench. Some of them easily cracked loose. A couple others I had to slightly raise my voice and state "I'm a man!" and then they broke free. Keep in mind I probably took on/off wheels over 20x during the season.
I love to double nut

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Just switched mine out for Turner MS replacement program ones. Planning on doing it annually if I track enough.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny

Yes I did. The studs used a 6mm hex end for install, which is typically a 1/4" drive socket. There wasn't enough leverage on my ¼ wrenches to break them free, and the bit was looking mighty stressed with hand tools. Some vibe from impact was required. Glad yours were easier, though!

Chong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 MT
Yes I did. The studs used a 6mm hex end for install, which is typically a 1/4" drive socket. There wasn't enough leverage on my ¼ wrenches to break them free, and the bit was looking mighty stressed with hand tools. Some vibe from impact was required. Glad yours were easier, though!
That 6mm hex end is generally only used to help with install.
Proper removal of stud conversion kits should involve the double nut method that was mentioned above.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You don't use the ends. You double nut the actual stud.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I am on my second set of studs and have had some loosen but I am changing tires a lot between race slicks for time trails and 100 tread-wear for the hpde sessions. So at least 2-3 times per track day. I now am in the habit of checking by hand each tire change to see if they are snug and then also periodically check with a wrench. I went to red lock tight as the fronts get a lot hotter.
Sponsored