Featured BMW insider: "385 hp Supra model is coming"

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Illsic_Design, May 13, 2019.

1. MLG Tofu Shop

MLG Tofu Shop Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Goh
    Car(s):
    Toyota Vios
    Liked:
    Yeah this is good and all but the way this person speaks really gets onto my nerves.

"Tada-san this, Tada-san that kool aid"?
    Excuse me? Is this person basically implying that Toyota didn't do anything during the R&D of these 2 sports cars?

Also he thinks we're a just bunch of idiots with absolutely zero knowledge about cars.

Rant over. Just need to let out a bit of steam against a d*ckhead like him.

2. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    Don't take it so hard; he probably doesn't know how to use his turn signals ;)

3. Toyotawild

Toyotawild Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
    Liked:
    Man oh man. This may slow initial sales. I wont be putting one order now until this happens

Villa Jonny likes this.
  4. Toyotawild

Toyotawild Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    This is the classic first launch on a new platform. Similar scenario obd1 to obd2/vvti on the mkiv

Bryster and Vaevictum like this.
  5. Susurs

Susurs New Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Car(s):
    GT86
    Liked:
    I heard that several high power versions of the z4 are to be released - and Toyota will do the same. Can‘t tell you more and of course it‘s been official source.

6. KeshyMKV

KeshyMKV Member

First Name:
    V
    Car(s):
    2020 MKV Supra - 3.0 Premium (On order)
    Liked:
    So my guess is that no way will they release this "higher hp" engine/tune for at least another 1-2 years "maybe". Otherwise the initial sales will flop, since people will want the higher hp to start than the current 335/365. Now, my thought would be that it literally will just be a tune. There really is no mechanical difference between the Z4/Supra from my understanding, unless someone can clarify that for me? However, I am definitely sure there will be some upgraded refreshes at some point, as long as sales are strong. Just like the R35 GTR for example. It was debuted at under 500hp, and years and years later we are at the 600hp area. So I am sure the base engine, plus the higher sportier trim will get power/suspension upgrades over time. But again, people will need to buy as much of the car as possible for them to justify on continuing to produce the car.

7. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    it's what every single manufacturer does.

gone are the days your hero model debuts with the first unveiling (like the 90s)

8. Toyotawild

Toyotawild Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    There is talk of the engine being completely different from supra to z4. The supra uses a one piece turbo manifold the z4 does not. But we aren't completely sure on the U.S. version either. It seems quicker than EU version so it's still not confirmed.

KeshyMKV likes this.
  9. Powaup

Powaup Member

First Name:
    Clyde
    Car(s):
    BMW M235i
    Liked:
    1. Keep in mind CnD 0-60 times are done with a 1-foot rollout so they’re usually faster than most other magazines
    2. BMW is releasing higher hp version of cars sooner and sooner to the launch of the “vanilla” version. F80 M3 took 2 years to get competition package, M2 took 1 year, M5 took 2 months and if you look at the upcoming M3 that car is coming with different hp versions out of the gate. So it’s not as far fetched to think that this will happen with the Supra.

I don’t think that’ll burn early adopters, and we won’t see any effects on sales because as Toyota and all the reviewers we’ve heard said the car is fun with 335hp hell most people won’t need an extra 50hp (imo)

PS: does anybody know if the HUD in the Supra has an “M-mode” which shows a rev counter and gear?