BMW or Toyota

Do you think if your car is a BMW or a Toyota

• Total voters

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
Hmm... Weird the cal tables are nearly identical to other B58s..
Tuning doesn't mean engine or transmission tuning only. Chassis tuning, suspension tuning just to name a few.
Sponsored

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
For peeps who feel strongly it's a BMW...are you deep down hoping for Toyota-like reliability? ;)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
For peeps who feel strongly it's a BMW...are you deep down hoping for Toyota-like reliability? ;)
Toyota reliability is usually found by taking a platform and "de-tuning" it to <60% of it's potential. If the MKV was as much of an absolute dog that my RC-F was... then I'd be tempted to expect great reliability as well. However, it's much, much better than that dumpster fire was, so I'm cool with paying the price for closer to BMW performance.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Never owned a Toyota. My BMWs have been VERY reliable. Especially the engines. My 2002 M3 still revs to 7500k every time I take it out Original paint still looks great and other bits have held up as well or better than any 2002 Toyota I would say.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Toyota reliability is usually found by taking a platform and "de-tuning" it to <60% of it's potential. If the MKV was as much of an absolute dog that my RC-F was... then I'd be tempted to expect great reliability as well. However, it's much, much better than that dumpster fire was, so I'm cool with paying the price for closer to BMW performance.
I was shocked to see how many track peeps running their stock engine Supras without issues! A dude in my NASA run class (1st time with them - free thx to Toyota) HPDE3 was killing it! We had all kinds of Porsches, Vettes, you name it, and he was consistently ahead of everyone!!! He only had a cold air intake and AWE track exhaust for sound like me 😜. Granted he’s got a lot of seat time and well setup suspension (SPL parts). But wow the performance of these Supras are phenomenal. I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years. It kinda reminds me of when everyone had to have a Honda S2000…. The only stock BMWs you see nowadays are gutted M cars or the older lighter models. She’s definitely got BMW DNA 🧬 all over the place, but no pig (or watered down Toyota Camry).
So thank you Toyota for the collaboration. They really nailed it!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Most of Toyota's "great reliability" seems to come from their most stripped down models and doesn't translate as well upstream. In my family, we've had Corolla's do >300K miles with little fanfare and our 2007 4Runner is near perfect condition still. On the other side, I had my RC-F in for almost a dozen repairs or recalls in just 36K miles, and my IS350 had a ton of issues as well (mostly not drivetrain related however - unlike the RC-F).

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
I consider it a Toyota, but Toyota wants me to consider it a damn BMW...which is fine by me. But, I won't vote until Toyota recognizes my VIN in their mobile app. 🤣🤣🤣

Toyota could have done more to leave their mark, but it doesn't matter much to me.

Skebs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Gray Supra
A young dude asked me how my new BMW was and I told him I was in the market looking for a BMW or a Lexus, so I got the best of both worlds. He didn't have anything to say after that lol.

Many will hate or have something to say, so I just go about my day and enjoy her every second.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
If I create an artwork, and then get it printed at a printer, does that make it the printer's creation?

If an architect designs a building and contracts some dudes to build it, does it make it the dude's building?

Toyota and BMW designed the car, and made it with new and existing parts.

It's both Toyota and BMW.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If an architect designs a building and contracts some dudes to build it, does it make it the dude's building?
Yeah, it kinda does, apparently. Also as a former architectural engineering major and a current hobbyist carpenter - building is way harder than design and CAD work IMO.

I think the debate there would be in quantity of IP involved. Based on the origin of all parts involved - it's safe to say 90% BMW 10% Toyota... with BMW being mostly the "architect" and Toyota being mostly the "dudes to build it" in this particular case.

😅 Sorry, just being an ass.
Sponsored