BMW Production Halts due to War! (Update): BMW To Gradually Resume Production At German Factories Next Week

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
Man, we are so fortunate to have such a strong military presence in the USA. :patriot:

You military folks rock. :headbang:
No need to thank me, thank my hard working Soldiers and then send me car parts
BF742B54-1A9A-44C8-984E-7952790E9DA6.jpeg

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
Man, we are so fortunate to have such a strong military presence in the USA. :patriot:

You military folks rock. :headbang:
No need to thank me, thank my hard working Soldiers and then send me car parts
2687D3E8-19CC-4591-B510-2E1FE0446345.jpeg

Last edited:

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Have we actually confirmed supra production has stopped?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Supply chain teams are surely battling with vendors/suppliers to not shutdown plants. Throughput may have been affected but maybe not total shutdown.
However, I don't think the Magna Steyr facility is a high volume, high priority plant for any OEMs there. If I had 10,000 parts, I'd send them to Spartanburg or Dingolfing..

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Porsche 911 Production Might Be Halted Because of Ukraine Invasion
The issues stemming from the invasion come amid a backdrop of ongoing supply chain problems from the pandemic.

By Lewin Day March 3, 2022
https://www.thedrive.com/news/44572...n-might-be-halted-because-of-ukraine-invasion

Porsche has had a difficult couple of months. Not only struggling with the chip shortage and supply chain problems like the rest of the industry, it also lost many cars when a cargo ship sank after a major fire in February. Initial reports from Reuters are that the company has had to temporarily shut down production at its Leipzig plant thanks to issues stemming from the Russian invasion of Ukraine, but rumors on the Rennlist forums suggest the issue may be more widespread.
Porsche announced it will suspend production in its Leipzig plant from Wednesday afternoon until the end of next week according to statements from a Porsche spokesperson. The Leipzig plant is primarily charged with production of the Macan and Panamera SUVs.

Looks like Porsche is halting all production after the March dates posted in their notice. (Via Rennlist) pic.twitter.com/EdocHoc7dv
ā€” Zerin Dube (@SpeedSportLife) March 3, 2022

However, unconfirmed screenshots of an internal Porsche email, as posted to Rennlist, suggest more models could be affected. The Russian invasion is directly cited as the root cause of the problem, with the email stating "The situation in Ukraine is impacting our production activities and the supply chain for Porsche plants are being affected."
The email notes that all cars with a "CP8 date" prior to given deadlines in March will be produced. The CP8 date refers to a given milestone in the production process. Notably, the email goes on to state that vehicles with CP8 dates beyond the stated deadlines "will not be produced."

According to the image, 911 models with CP8 dates up to March 31 will e built, while 911 GT3/Touring models have a CP8 deadline of March 17. 718 models time out on March 14, with the Macan and Panamera set to stop on the 2nd of March, roughly in line with the first official reports of the Leipzig shutdown. Taycans and Cayennes have deadlines set on March 3 and March 7 respectively.

The Drive has reached out to Porsche for confirmation of the broader shutdowns and will update this article accordingly when official comment is available.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Same, maybe Magna Steyr is still up and running since it's not a BMW plant. :dunno:
They assemble cars using the BMW supply chain, so I donā€™t see them not being impacted. They build other brands there too, so they may be able to operate at some level, depending on the supply chain for those other cars. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if most or all of the European auto manufacturers source at least a few parts from Ukraine and/or Russia. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I should have waited an additional few weeks to sell my car. Oh well.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Wow... I'll let mine go for a measly $150K - but I want that in Bitcoin, price is $250K if USD. ;)

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
They assemble cars using the BMW supply chain, so I donā€™t see them not being impacted. They build other brands there too, so they may be able to operate at some level, depending on the supply chain for those other cars. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if most or all of the European auto manufacturers source at least a few parts from Ukraine and/or Russia. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I should have waited an additional few weeks to sell my car. Oh well.
Oh. And I just noticed thisā€¦

https://www.autonews.com/manufactur...nvasion-could-trigger-second-microchip-crisis

Update: I can read this on my phone, but my desktop browser has it behind a paywall. The TLDR from the article is: Ukraine and Russia are the worlds principle suppliers of neon gas, with the gas being a byproduct of Russian steel manufacturing shipped to Ukraine for refining 70% of the global supply. Neon gas is in the lasers used in the manufacturing of semiconductors. So the expectation is that this will significantly impact the chip supply again. Also according to the article other materials used in auto manufacturing that are sourced from those two countries include: Aluminum, microelectronics etching gas, nickel, palladium, pig iron, and wire harnesses.

So if you're waiting on a new car your wait may be greatly extended. And if you are unlucky to have an affected component of your car fail, you are potentially in for a bad time in the future. Europe is the most affected now, but there is no way this won't have a ripple effect globally.

I got rid of my Supra and was waiting for an M3 allocation, but it looks like I'll be driving this Ford Fiesta I have now for a lot longer than I initially planned. With oil prices expected to rise, I guess that's just as well.

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Possibly, but that would push back other companies that use them to build their new products.

Maybe there is a clause in the contract that says "in case of war, acts of God, etc...we are not liable for output"

Who knows.
Could be, I guess we'll know for sure come 2026.
Sponsored