Sponsored

Borla vs AWE track/non res touring vs Dinan

Borla vs AWE track/non res touring vs Dinan

  • Borla

  • AWE

  • Dinan


Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
Can't compare to the other exhausts since I haven't heard them IRL, but I have a Dinan. Cold start is still loud, but with valve closed it's very similar to stock unless you get past 4k RPM, then it's noticeably louder than stock.

With the valve opened, it's a straight pipe with no resonators.

This is with stock down pipe, first 2 revs in normal, last 2 revs in sport:

Thanks for sharing. It sounds good, I just think it sounds too similar with the stock exhaust.
Sponsored

 

BMWAF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2022
Threads
71
Messages
3,190
Reaction score
4,558
Location
In orbit
Car(s)
A90 Supra; FN2 CTR
Why is the valve useless on Australian cars?
I believe AU cars have valves that are coded to pretty much remain open all the time. Despite this, our cars seem to be much quieter in stock form than those in the US. :crazy:

I don't plan on tuning my car yet, so that isnt really an option.
I said that too.. but a few years later, here we are. 😅

Here's a video of the AWE Touring resonated mated to a 200 cel sports cat. The car was tuned with MHD OTS Stage 2 95RON, with burbles set to 1 second, from memory. In all honesty, there's so many variables, it's near impossible to tell what's what when picking an exhaust!

 

concept

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Sep 1, 2023
Threads
30
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
810
Location
Southern CA
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I came very close to buying the Dinan not that it was close in sound. I liked how it was designed more than any other valved system on the market. Its kind of like the Borla but it looks like it can bypass the muffler more. If I am going valved I that`s what I would buy.
I agree that the Dinan design is such that with the valve open, you have very close to a straight pipe routing. And I love its deeper tone
CA Exhaust Sound Test layout-Dinan.webp
 

Subydude

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jun 25, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
202
Reaction score
135
Location
Cayce, SC
Car(s)
Too many
Got it, thanks for sharing the footage. Would you say cold start with the valve open is disturbing any neighbors?
Not really disturbing, but if the exhaust is pointed at a wall and it's within 50 feet it would be noticeable inside the building.

The Borla is more or less a straight pipe when the valve is open. The stock programming of having the valve closed during cold start helps keep it quiet, but if you force the valve open via MHD or Bimmerlink then it obviously is a good bit louder. I don't have dB levels, but I also don't park with the exhaust facing anything so I don't disturb anyone.
 

Timmy_Jones

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 8, 2023
Threads
64
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
1,609
Location
NH
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Did you search? I have a few writeups with multiple interior / exterior clips of AWE and Borla. Do you have specific questions? As someone who has owned too many exhausts, there is absolutely a BEST setup
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
Did you search? I have a few writeups with multiple interior / exterior clips of AWE and Borla. Do you have specific questions? As someone who has owned too many exhausts, there is absolutely a BEST setup
I saw your videos, but it's a little hard to get a good impression from videos. I even watched that long supra exhaust comparison video and after a while they all started sounding the same.

Did you have AWE track or AWE touring res/non res? How does the AWE compare to the borla in terms of volume? How much louder is one over the other?

What would you say is the best setup?

I watched so many Borla videos but honestly, it doesn't sound substantially louder than stock, unless it's just the video not translating sound well. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
 

mmspider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
135
Reaction score
137
Location
SE Michigan
Car(s)
2026 Supra Manual
I saw your videos, but it's a little hard to get a good impression from videos. I even watched that long supra exhaust comparison video and after a while they all started sounding the same.

Did you have AWE track or AWE touring res/non res? How does the AWE compare to the borla in terms of volume? How much louder is one over the other?

What would you say is the best setup?

I watched so many Borla videos but honestly, it doesn't sound substantially louder than stock, unless it's just the video not translating sound well. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Its hard to actually get a feel for sound on videos. Videos do not translate well. On top of that a lot of people don`t make good videos. So its a mix of not taking great videos and them not translating well. When it comes to a exhaust you kind of have to take a leap of faith to some degree. Unless you are able to meet up with people to hear it.

I watched countless videos for weeks and came to the conclusion on questioning if these exhaust are even worth it. But in person they are louder and its hard to capture new tones that open up while you drive.

One thing I will say is that these cars can only get so loud with factory DP. That`s why a lot of people end up swapping them out.
 

Timmy_Jones

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 8, 2023
Threads
64
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
1,609
Location
NH
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I saw your videos
Did you have AWE track or AWE touring res/non res?
I mean...its in the title of the thread and video

even as an avid exhaust lover, the right move is a downpipe first
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
I mean...its in the title of the thread and video

even as an avid exhaust lover, the right move is a downpipe first
Yeah I saw the videos a little while back I didn't remember.

I hear you on the downpipe, but that's not something I am currently considering.
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
Its hard to actually get a feel for sound on videos. Videos do not translate well. On top of that a lot of people don`t make good videos. So its a mix of not taking great videos and them not translating well. When it comes to a exhaust you kind of have to take a leap of faith to some degree. Unless you are able to meet up with people to hear it.

I watched countless videos for weeks and came to the conclusion on questioning if these exhaust are even worth it. But in person they are louder and its hard to capture new tones that open up while you drive.

One thing I will say is that these cars can only get so loud with factory DP. That`s why a lot of people end up swapping them out.
I am kind of wondering the same if its even worth it with the factory downpipe. I am not looking for something that can be heard from 5 miles away, but I would want a substantially louder than stock sound level.
 

mmspider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
135
Reaction score
137
Location
SE Michigan
Car(s)
2026 Supra Manual
I am kind of wondering the same if its even worth it with the factory downpipe. I am not looking for something that can be heard from 5 miles away, but I would want a substantially louder than stock sound level.
I just personally cannot accept putting a downpipe on a brand new Supra, in my case. So no matter what it wasn`t a option for me. However I am happy with my AWE system. Gave the car decent amount of volume and louder burble. The mid range sounds great as well.

Long term I think a different catted downpipe will be put on if I still have car though.
 
OP
OP
Akaza315

Akaza315

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Location
Maine
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
I just personally cannot accept putting a downpipe on a brand new Supra, in my case. So no matter what it wasn`t a option for me. However I am happy with my AWE system. Gave the car decent amount of volume and louder burble. The mid range sounds great as well.

Long term I think a different catted downpipe will be put on if I still have car though.
Same here I am keeping the factory downpipe, I just hope the catback is worth it even with the factory downpipe.
 

concept

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Sep 1, 2023
Threads
30
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
810
Location
Southern CA
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Same here I am keeping the factory downpipe, I just hope the catback is worth it even with the factory downpipe.
I think it is with my Dinan setup. The other piece of the pie is sitting against the garage wall - my OEM exhaust system with its flattened bends - makes me glad I swapped it out, every time I look at it.
 

Meraki Autoworks

Well-Known Member
Silver Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Joined
Oct 1, 2019
Threads
164
Messages
2,135
Reaction score
774
Location
Orange County, CA
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Same here I am keeping the factory downpipe, I just hope the catback is worth it even with the factory downpipe.
It is

-Josh
Sponsored

 
 








Top