Brake bleeding requires dealer?!

Jah29

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
987, ZL11LE, ND2
In one of Jackie Ding’s recent videos he says they had to go to the dealer to get he brakes bled properly. What’s up with that? Is that true? Do you always need to go to the dealer? I will stop even considering buying one of these cars if I can’t bleed the brakes myself before a track day.

Thanks,
Justin
Sponsored

char

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
From what I see in the repair manual, you can bleed the fluid without special computer. But for newer BMWs (including this supra), it would require special computer to plug into the ODB to trigger the ABS pump to cycle the fluid from ABS unit out. I did that at a shop which primarily service BMWs. Even with RBF660 fluid I was still getting a spongy brake at track though.

SUPRATOY

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 SUPRA
I'm not so sure about that!!!!!! I replace my brakes with a BBK and change fluid for Motul..... bled the brakes without the need of any computer or any electronics. did that a few months ago and have no issues whatsoever with the brakes so far.... car stops great.... and no spongy feel at all!

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
We replaced our brake lines, and bled brakes the good ol' fashion way. No computers... just pump the pedal 3 times... hold... loosen brake bleeder... repeat... do that A LOT going around the car... to each caliper... and you're good!

Best regards,
Dave

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds to me they got air in the abs during the work somehow. Wish they'd chime in, but that is the only thing that makes sense to me. I did it once...let master cylinder get empty when bleeding new fluid through and sucked air in from the top of the system....took forever to get that air out.

fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90
if we are doing it the old fashion method of pumping the pedal and opening the bleeder, would there be still old brake fliud in the abs unit as it hasnt been cycled to bleed out ?

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how. The ABS is a in-line pressure bleed/reduction valve. Never heard of one retaining fluid after a good system bleed. I've upgraded brake fluid in many cars for track use. All had ABS, cycled fluid through each wheel bleeder with full color change apparent as the old fluid was bled out. There could be something particular to the newer BMWs, but I'm not aware of it. I never seen one of Dings' YT videos, but I have seen plenty where the vlogger didn't know what the hell he/she was talking about. ;)

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
Saw Dings COTA videos. He's putting the A90 to good use. Fast...Let us know if any news surfaces on special bleeding requirements.

wtf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
500hp 97 TT 6sp Aero, 800hp 98 GTX3584 6sp hardtop, 1000hp 92 R32GTR, 1300hp VR41 GT86, 600hp RB26 180SX, 1000hp R35GTR, 400hp SR20 AE86...
Did brake pad and fluid change at my local performance garage, no special tricks needed. Not sure what they did wrong to need a dealer.

OP
OP

Jah29

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
987, ZL11LE, ND2
okay, thanks for all the reply’s. Seems like they must have gotten some air in the abs system and that usually requires a trip to the dealer in any car.

thanks,
Justin

Mark5825

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2017 Mustang
Got air in my system and tried to go to the dealer but none would touch the car with mods and even if they did they said they would only put stock fluid it, which defeats the purpose.

After A LOT of bleeding and doing hard stops to force ABS to kick in I was able to get most out and felt good enough to track. Local mechanic said he was able to access half of the ABS modules did more bleeding and I've tracked it multiple times. This was a couple moths ago. Since then a couple shops say they can do everything the dealer can but I'm skeptical.

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had mine on track yet. Is the stock fluid that bad?
It's specs don't seem that bad from what I can tell, but it is one of those inherently hard to answer questions. It's all good until it's not.
Nearly all factory fill fluid is intended for street use and typically not very high boiling points. Flushing with good track oriented fluid (pick your favorite....doing more research just makes it harder to pick!) and you then know you have good high temp fluid and some margin of safety.
I have had the brake pedal go straight to the floor and run off the track from boiling fluid in another car, so its easy for me to justify buying 3 bottles of good stuff and bleed it in an hour working slow and sipping on a beer.
BTW, the stock brake pads aren't up for track use either if you are intermediate level or better and/or on a track that is somewhat hard on brakes....

JackieD86

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jd86racing.com
Car(s)
Supra A90, AE86, S2K AP2
Finally saw this thread! Sorry for taking this long!

So while installing our new BBK, the master cylinder went dry on accident and it sucked in a lot of air. Took us a lot of bleeds but the brake pedal was very very unhappy. Like, 75% of it did nothing to stop the car. It was clear we got air into the DSC and ABS pumps, and we were gonna try to keep bleeding it ourselves and get the pedal back. But the next event on the calendar was COTA, where we knew we had to brake from 150 MPH to maybe 50 for a hairpin. We decided to not risk it and go for the dealers option, paid the service fees, and went on to win our class in COTA.

In short, you most likely won't need to take your car into the dealership for a brake bleed, AS LONG AS you aren't a dummy like us and didn't get a lot of air into the system. We did multiple bleeds and fluid flushes ourselves before with no problem, and will continue to do so in the future.

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Got air in my system and tried to go to the dealer but none would touch the car with mods and even if they did they said they would only put stock fluid it, which defeats the purpose.

After A LOT of bleeding and doing hard stops to force ABS to kick in I was able to get most out and felt good enough to track. Local mechanic said he was able to access half of the ABS modules did more bleeding and I've tracked it multiple times. This was a couple moths ago. Since then a couple shops say they can do everything the dealer can but I'm skeptical.
This is another method if you do not have the software and dont/cant go to the dealer. Drive the car and stand on the brakes a few times to get the ABS to actuate and that should help clear any air from the ABS/DSC and make it so it can be bled out normally.
Sponsored