Dealer wants $600 for alignment

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
String alingment. Most accurate alignment ever and can be done at home.
Sponsored

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
When I had a lapse of judgement and contacted a dealer about a LCA replacement they specifically quoted $600 for the alignment as part of the overall scope. That was one of several total baffling things I came away from the conversation with. At least I have bit more context, but still have no idea the 'why' behind the radar calibration. I've had the car aligned 3x at my usual spot with no consequence.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
When I had a lapse of judgement and contacted a dealer about a LCA replacement they specifically quoted $600 for the alignment as part of the overall scope. That was one of several total baffling things I came away from the conversation with. At least I have bit more context, but still have no idea the 'why' behind the radar calibration. I've had the car aligned 3x at my usual spot with no consequence.
Going to assume that was our friendly, most-local Toyota dealer. Where do you normally go? If they've been handling your collection, I'm sure they're worth a look :)

The radar calibration is a CYA thing. It's WAY overkill - but like I said before, if you go by the book, the radar should be calibrated any time the thrust angle has a possibility of changing. I haven't found a single case of someone having an issue with their alignment having been done without the calibration, but the dealers just won't do it, unless they're particularly cool.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Going to assume that was our friendly, most-local Toyota dealer. Where do you normally go? If they've been handling your collection, I'm sure they're worth a look :)

The radar calibration is a CYA thing. It's WAY overkill - but like I said before, if you go by the book, the radar should be calibrated any time the thrust angle has a possibility of changing. I haven't found a single case of someone having an issue with their alignment having been done without the calibration, but the dealers just won't do it, unless they're particularly cool.

I was referred to Town & Country and they proceeded to quote me "at least 2-3k" to replace a bent control arm... :crazy: In hindsight I may have had better luck at Scott Clark, but so far I've aptly avoided a dealer visit. Still need to do that recall..

My go-to is After Hours Racing in NE CLT; a bit of a hike from Waxhaw but Alex is one of the very few people I trust unconditionally for things I can't or don't want to do on my own.

1664827225501.jpeg

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I was referred to Town & Country and they proceeded to quote me "at least 2-3k" to replace a bent control arm... :crazy: In hindsight I may have had better luck at Scott Clark, but so far I've aptly avoided a dealer visit. Still need to do that recall..

My go-to is After Hours Racing in NE CLT; a bit of a hike from Waxhaw but Alex is one of the very few people I trust unconditionally for things I can't or don't want to do on my own.
Nice, thanks for that! I may have them do some stuff for me in the next couple of months.

The dealers here are such a crapshoot. I've heard nothing but good about T&C sales, but nothing but bad (aside from my friend with an 86 who just uses them for oil changes) about service. I've heard nothing but bad about Scott Clark sales, and 50/50 with their service dept. That's fine - like you, I'll just handle it myself unless it's going to get too expensive or too much of a pain in the rear!

Inheritor

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MkV Supra, Corolla hatchback
Hello everyone, I went to the dealership today to get a free oil change. While they were there I told them to do an alignment because it was off slightly due to some rough roads. When I went to pick it up, they said they couldn't do said alignment due to one-time use bolts? I have no clue what they meant by that as I have never seen any tie rods, control arms, eccentric bolts, etc. that were one time use? Also they said that I needed a full tank of gas and a bunch of weight in the car before they could do it. Can someone either confirm or deny that this is what they are supposed to do? Seems like total BS to me.
I can’t remember the car but it was definitely domestic, some new cars are like that. If alignment is off they need to replace the entire part because of lazy engineering. Although i think that was the rear suspension which makes sense and is common. I just simply do not remember. But I don’t believe the Supra is this way. Sounds like a money grab.

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
Rule number 1: never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever everrrrrrrrrrrrr eva eva take your car to a dealer for anything but warranty work.

Dill-Pickel

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2006 BMW M5
You do know you can’t rotate them, right?
I know that... that is what the dealer told me. and yest my tires are directional so there is no left and right movement either
Sponsored