Brake Pad Discussion - Don't take R1 Ceramic to track day!

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, How's it going? Funny running into you on here.

After this thread, I will be asking the question about the weak steering components that bend after running over the outer rumble strips.

Right control arm.png

Ayyoooo! Small world! :wave:

Yes! We need to talk about the super bendy OEM control arms. :banghead:
Sponsored

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
As soon as you get to a good pace, those HP+'s will disappoint you. They can only take like half the heat of an actual good track pad.
there's very specific reason I chose these pads. in the beginning, I wanted dedicated track pad and had a plan to swap just before and after track days... as I'm going to track just about twice a month these days, I am getting lazy and no longer the plan was viable. which it meant I needed a set (front & rear) for track and street. there are many brake pads available but most of them only offer front for same compound. for example, I used to use DTC-60. Excellent pads. It has very good initial bite and breaking distance were much shorter than stock but very harsh on rotors. stock rotor started to show metal fatigue after few track days. It could be from previous use as well. I used stock front for over 20 track days then switched over to DTC-60. metal fatigue started show just last fall. I did enjoyed having DTC-60 for braking power but car was way too stable / slight under steer during braking due to stock rear brake pads. I would've prefer DTC-60 in rear as well but they don't offer one... only DTC-30 which is lesser braking power. So far, Hawk HP+ is only compound I could find that offers both front & rear as well as track & street use. if this can perform as good as stock, I won't mind.

So far, it is promising to meet my expectation. last time when I went out to Pocono raceway - I was ill so, I was only able to perform 50% but was a good opportunity to bed the brake rotor and pads properly. As you know, bedding process is tedious but is required for performance and longevity of pad and rotor. even for stock brakes, manual states that it needs to be broken in for 400 miles. I will try to report back when I come back from lime rock which will be better reference than pocono.

Nugs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G81 M3 Touring, 2019 Supra GTS
I'm using Circo M119 front, S88 rear.
I've been very impressed with the performance and wear.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
there's very specific reason I chose these pads. in the beginning, I wanted dedicated track pad and had a plan to swap just before and after track days... as I'm going to track just about twice a month these days, I am getting lazy and no longer the plan was viable. which it meant I needed a set (front & rear) for track and street. there are many brake pads available but most of them only offer front for same compound. for example, I used to use DTC-60. Excellent pads. It has very good initial bite and breaking distance were much shorter than stock but very harsh on rotors. stock rotor started to show metal fatigue after few track days. It could be from previous use as well. I used stock front for over 20 track days then switched over to DTC-60. metal fatigue started show just last fall. I did enjoyed having DTC-60 for braking power but car was way too stable / slight under steer during braking due to stock rear brake pads. I would've prefer DTC-60 in rear as well but they don't offer one... only DTC-30 which is lesser braking power. So far, Hawk HP+ is only compound I could find that offers both front & rear as well as track & street use. if this can perform as good as stock, I won't mind.

So far, it is promising to meet my expectation. last time when I went out to Pocono raceway - I was ill so, I was only able to perform 50% but was a good opportunity to bed the brake rotor and pads properly. As you know, bedding process is tedious but is required for performance and longevity of pad and rotor. even for stock brakes, manual states that it needs to be broken in for 400 miles. I will try to report back when I come back from lime rock which will be better reference than pocono.
Do you plan on giving Endless MX72s or the CSG CP spec a try for mixed use?

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Do you plan on giving Endless MX72s or the CSG CP spec a try for mixed use?
not yet. I expect to use up current setup by mid or spring next year. - By then, i will have well over 15 track days. I hope it lasts 20 days though.. - then I will think about next setup. ;)