Break-In Period Driving Habits

HarrisRacing

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (tunable)
LOL probably should have read this first. Did my first 60-130 pull on the way home from picking up the car (around 600 miles) and the first two 1/4 mile pulls there too!

I have built race engines my whole life - break in all happens within the first 150 miles of power application for sure. And I generally follow a racing procedure (warm up, flush fluids, warm up again, take for light load and decel runs, then slowly ramp to full load). Getting this car at 425 miles who knows what was done at first?
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I had a suspicion, and finally confirmed it... the break-in instructions in the manual are just copied and pasted from any random BMW owner's manual..regardless of which non-M gasoline engine is under the hood.

The more you know ;)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
LOL probably should have read this first. Did my first 60-130 pull on the way home from picking up the car (around 600 miles) and the first two 1/4 mile pulls there too!

I have built race engines my whole life - break in all happens within the first 150 miles of power application for sure. And I generally follow a racing procedure (warm up, flush fluids, warm up again, take for light load and decel runs, then slowly ramp to full load). Getting this car at 425 miles who knows what was done at first?
Started my break in the 1st 300 miles of "in town" driving with 30-80 pulls to send to Jesse for my JB4 with catless downpipe. Then completed the break in at Sebring this last weekend by putting on another 300 miles of track driving. She's purring pretty nicely now 😜

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Yeah I’m at 900 miles-ish and at the 650 point I was like fuck it send it… hopefully the B58 is what everyone claims it to be…. Relatively bulletproof… if not I’m screwed 😅

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ
Most modern engines, the tolerances are pretty good and break in is down pretty quickly. Even built engines when we hit the dyno, after the 2nd oil change, there's basically no flakes or debris whatsoever and the rings are pretty much set. I think I did a pull with the Supra and short shifted around 5000rpm within the first 150 miles lol

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
I don't follow the break in period, If anything I just take it easy on the clutch.

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Hate to have my first post be resurrecting a thread with no post for months but...

I bought a 3.0L premium MT a few weeks ago. I saw the car the day it got to the dealership and came off the truck. It was covered in plastics and I couldn't open the door with the key fob (battery on the fob maybe?). I had a deposit on it and even instructed them not to wash it because I wanted to do the first one myself. Dealer said they had to receive a "code from BMW" before I could actually complete the purchase and before they could finish inspecting it (I got it one complete business day after it arrived). The day I went to get the car it had 48 or 49 miles on it. Of course, I got upset because I have been reading that people in similar situations get vehicles with 3-12 miles on them at most. Dealer insists that the car came that mileage and that the tech would have driven it a few miles at most while prepping it. I was tempted to just not buy it at that point but that seemed silly considering how long I waited and how lucky I got that someone just dropped their reservation on it at the last minute making it available to me.

Everything in me realizes that this is nonsense and lies from the dealer but I want to hear what other people's thoughts on this are and how I can try to make the dealer right this wrong (or if there is some reasonable explanation other than them letting people test drive it or techs getting excited a MT supra came in and going crazy on it). I wouldn't mind this but I'm concerned about break in and if it was being test driven and/or taken for joy rides, that means it almost definitely got a TON of driving outside of the break in parameters....I've been following break in for several hundred miles now but it's bugging me thinking I'm wasting my time if it was beaten on during the most critical period of time for the break in during those first 25-50 miles. For reference, the 50 miles it took me to get to the dealer took me an hour to drive on highways so that's quite a bit of driving if they put 40+ on it.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Hate to have my first post be resurrecting a thread with no post for months but...

I bought a 3.0L premium MT a few weeks ago. I saw the car the day it got to the dealership and came off the truck. It was covered in plastics and I couldn't open the door with the key fob (battery on the fob maybe?). I had a deposit on it and even instructed them not to wash it because I wanted to do the first one myself. Dealer said they had to receive a "code from BMW" before I could actually complete the purchase and before they could finish inspecting it (I got it one complete business day after it arrived). The day I went to get the car it had 48 or 49 miles on it. Of course, I got upset because I have been reading that people in similar situations get vehicles with 3-12 miles on them at most. Dealer insists that the car came that mileage and that the tech would have driven it a few miles at most while prepping it. I was tempted to just not buy it at that point but that seemed silly considering how long I waited and how lucky I got that someone just dropped their reservation on it at the last minute making it available to me.

Everything in me realizes that this is nonsense and lies from the dealer but I want to hear what other people's thoughts on this are and how I can try to make the dealer right this wrong (or if there is some reasonable explanation other than them letting people test drive it or techs getting excited a MT supra came in and going crazy on it). I wouldn't mind this but I'm concerned about break in and if it was being test driven and/or taken for joy rides, that means it almost definitely got a TON of driving outside of the break in parameters....I've been following break in for several hundred miles now but it's bugging me thinking I'm wasting my time if it was beaten on during the most critical period of time for the break in during those first 25-50 miles.
It's fine.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

Everything in me realizes that this is nonsense and lies from the dealer but I want to hear what other people's thoughts on this are and how I can try to make the dealer right this wrong (or if there is some reasonable explanation other than them letting people test drive it or techs getting excited a MT supra came in and going crazy on it). I wouldn't mind this but I'm concerned about break in and if it was being test driven and/or taken for joy rides, that means it almost definitely got a TON of driving outside of the break in parameters....I've been following break in for several hundred miles now but it's bugging me thinking I'm wasting my time if it was beaten on during the most critical period of time for the break in during those first 25-50 miles. For reference, the 50 miles it took me to get to the dealer took me an hour to drive on highways so that's quite a bit of driving if they put 40+ on it.
If you thought it was to high. You shouldn't have accepted it. But saying that car is probably fine.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Yeah, I'd be irritated on one hand (I'd rather no one even sat in it) - but until you can buy direct and take delivery at your house... several people have regardless. Mine was in the lobby so only 7 miles on it, but God only knows how many asses were in my seats prior to purchase (probably hundreds)!

Engine will be perfectly fine however... or everyone with a YT channel that took delivery of a new MKV in the past 3 years would be talking about their problems. Most of them were banging limiters on the way out of the dealership parking lot. :rolleyes:

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Mine had like 100 miles on it. Obviously, a test car or a manager drove it on the weekend or something, IDK. Shit's more than fine.
Mine had 3000 from some nerd up north who drove it so little the battery died.

97B4213B-414C-4E84-B324-6A01906E6244.jpeg

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Mine had like 100 miles on it. Obviously, a test car or a manager drove it on the weekend or something, IDK. Shit's more than fine.
Did you end going through the break in process anyway?

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Yeah, I'd be irritated on one hand (I'd rather no one even sat in it) - but until you can buy direct and take delivery at your house... several people have regardless. Mine was in the lobby so only 7 miles on it, but God only knows how many asses were in my seats prior to purchase (probably hundreds)!

Engine will be perfectly fine however... or everyone with a YT channel that took delivery of a new MKV in the past 3 years would be talking about their problems. Most of them were banging limiters on the way out of the dealership parking lot. :rolleyes:
That's a good point about the YouTube people or generally the group that doesn't follow break in procedure. From reading other threads about the break in it seems like the oil burning and other issues don't really have any real trends...though I suppose the car is relatively new still and there are countless people that have these cars and aren't on these forums...but good to hear that and some other people saying it'll be fine. I'll keep an eye out of course for issues and at least I made my complaint known with the dealership before signing.
Sponsored