Buying from CarMax

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
With prices at Carmax and Carvana being the same as new, why buy from them, especially when you canā€™t negotiate?
Honestly, they gobble up so much of the used car inventory, it's difficult NOT to, for some models. Carvana especially right now - with what they're offering to buy used Supras for, it's more than a lot of us paid new, so it's a no-brainer. As for how on earth they have so many people buying used cars for new car money, when there are new cars available on the lots (in the case of the Supra now), I can't answer that!

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Honestly, they gobble up so much of the used car inventory, it's difficult NOT to, for some models. Carvana especially right now - with what they're offering to buy used Supras for, it's more than a lot of us paid new, so it's a no-brainer. As for how on earth they have so many people buying used cars for new car money, when there are new cars available on the lots (in the case of the Supra now), I can't answer that!
People will PAY to avoid the dealer experience.

Call - buy - have it delivered and never enter a dealer show/sales space.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

And watch your sports car SCRAAAPPEE!!! while backing off the delivery flatbed..

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF

Trust me, I am absolutely in that boat! I've bought most of my cars in the past 2 years without spending more than ~30 minutes at the dealer signing paperwork. I wouldn't even have done that most of the time, if I didn't want to drive the car and do a solid visual inspection first. The Carmax and Carvana return periods definitely help that a bit.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Trust me, I am absolutely in that boat! I've bought most of my cars in the past 2 years without spending more than ~30 minutes at the dealer signing paperwork. I wouldn't even have done that most of the time, if I didn't want to drive the car and do a solid visual inspection first. The Carmax and Carvana return periods definitely help that a bit.
What? The negotiation is the fun part of the transaction. Just be firm on your position while being polite and respectful. I honestly hate shopping at places that do not offer any negotiation. Itā€™s not some milk Iā€™m buying at the supermarket for my wife to make me more cookies..!! I want to deal.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I feel pretty convinced there is a pretty serious bubble in used car prices and Carvana, etc. are going to be stuck with a lot of cars for which they overpaid. The semiconductor issue and COVID supply chain blah-blah are going to ease (or already easing) and they are going to have mark these cars back down to normal levels.

What? The negotiation is the fun part of the transaction. Just be firm on your position while being polite and respectful. I honestly hate shopping at places that do not offer any negotiation. Itā€™s not some milk Iā€™m buying at the supermarket for my wife to make me more cookies..!! I want to deal.

Yeah, no thanks lol. Haggling with a dealer over car prices feels like three-card monty to me. Just tell me the bottom-line price and drop the rustproofing, extended warranty, dealer processing fees, freight charges, and all the other BS they try to pull. Too many levers for them to pull, especially when they apply the high-pressure sales tactics especially if its in-person. Hard pass on all that.

Last edited:

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF

Absolutely - there's just zero reason for me to do that in person. I've never had a problem with negotiation, and it's easier for me to walk if they're not interested in talking. I've never had an issue getting the deal I want, and if they aren't willing to discuss without me physically being there, then they're precisely the kind of people I'm trying to avoid, so my money goes elsewhere.

I feel pretty convinced there is a pretty serious bubble in used car prices and Carvana, etc. are going to be stuck with a lot of cars for which they overpaid. The semiconductor issue and COVID supply chain blah-blah are going to ease (or already easing) and they are going to have mark these cars back down to normal levels.
You're absolutely right. This lack of supply is going to turn into a surplus in the next year or so, and car prices, used or otherwise, are going to plummet.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
I wouldnā€™t buy from Carvana. Iā€™ve been looking at different cars for the last 6 months, and, no exaggeration, every car on their site, has paint chips or torn seats. Also, theyā€™ve been forced to close 2 locations in North Carolina and Los Angeles for violating dealer licensing laws.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I wouldnā€™t buy from Carvana. Iā€™ve been looking at different cars for the last 6 months, and, no exaggeration, every car on their site, has paint chips or torn seats. Also, theyā€™ve been forced to close 2 locations in North Carolina and Los Angeles for violating dealer licensing laws.
Definitely would not buy from, but absolutely will sell to. I'm in North Carolina, so I've seen them on the news as well - craziness.

A couple of points, though -

1 - They actually tell you about every little chip, scratch, etc. - so it highlights every little issue with a car, most of which normal people wouldn't even notice if it wasn't pointed out.

2 - They're offering a ton of money, sign-unseen. They're going to get everyone's crap.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely would not buy from, but absolutely will sell to. I'm in North Carolina, so I've seen them on the news as well - craziness.

A couple of points, though -

1 - They actually tell you about every little chip, scratch, etc. - so it highlights every little issue with a car, most of which normal people wouldn't even notice if it wasn't pointed out.

2 - They're offering a ton of money, sign-unseen. They're going to get everyone's crap.
But if Iā€™m spending $50k plus, I would expect the car to be in very good condition.

OP
OP
wonderbr34d

wonderbr34d

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0
Hey everybody, just wanted to give y'all an update.

I drove the 3.0 yesterday but the CarMax location had some "unspoken rule" where you couldn't take a car worth more than $50k on a 24 hour test drive. The original owner definitely used Bimmercode to take out fake engine noise and a couple other things. I didn't get a great chance to poke around the engine bay and obviously didn't get a PPI done. It all seemed a little too sketchy and decided not to go for it.

HOWEVER I did drive a new 2021 2.0 in Turbulence Gray today and thought it was a great fit so decided to move on that! I pick her up on Thursday and will post the obligatory pictures. :)

This forum has been extremely informative over the past year or so I've been keeping tabs on it and I'm excited to be a full fledged owner very soon!

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey everybody, just wanted to give y'all an update.

I drove the 3.0 yesterday but the CarMax location had some "unspoken rule" where you couldn't take a car worth more than $50k on a 24 hour test drive. The original owner definitely used Bimmercode to take out fake engine noise and a couple other things. I didn't get a great chance to poke around the engine bay and obviously didn't get a PPI done. It all seemed a little too sketchy and decided not to go for it.

HOWEVER I did drive a new 2021 2.0 in Turbulence Gray today and thought it was a great fit so decided to move on that! I pick her up on Thursday and will post the obligatory pictures. :)

This forum has been extremely informative over the past year or so I've been keeping tabs on it and I'm excited to be a full fledged owner very soon!
Mazel Tov! Enjoy?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
@wonderbr34d Congratulations. Honestly, if you're not concerned with tuning for maximum power and/or spending more days at the track than on the road... you made the better choice.

You'll get great gas mileage, comfort, and styling... while only losing out on a very small portion of the performance. Not to mention you saved some money and got a car that has no possibilities of user abuse in it's history! :thumbsup:

Manufacturing issues are still possible, of course... but that affects all of us new/used 2.0/3.0 alike. Luckily there aren't all that many of those - and the majority posted here seem to affect us 3.0 owners more heavily (but it's a skewed sample size... so hard to prove anything).

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
But if Iā€™m spending $50k plus, I would expect the car to be in very good condition.
And yet, in any price point, you find vehicles that have been smoked in, etc., along with the normal wear and tear of any vehicle thatā€™s preowned.
Sponsored