Cannot measure oil

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Thanks! Did they have to drop the subframe to get to the oil pump? It seems like a pretty big job and i'm stressing lol.
Hey to answer you yes they did have to drop my whole subframe to get to the pump, took them a few extra days. My problem wasn’t resolved just by changing the sensor, this was required to get readings again on the iDrive system.

I still burn oil and an unacceptable rate (<1000mi per quart). I am considering heavily brining it in for a proper service to stop this consumption. From what I’ve been told this means new piston rings and inspecting cylinder walls.
Sponsored

domingo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Hey to answer you yes they did have to drop my whole subframe to get to the pump, took them a few extra days. My problem wasn’t resolved just by changing the sensor, this was required to get readings again on the iDrive system.

I still burn oil and an unacceptable rate (<1000mi per quart). I am considering heavily brining it in for a proper service to stop this consumption. From what I’ve been told this means new piston rings and inspecting cylinder walls.
I'm asking my Dealer about oil consumption and EU norm is 1L/1000km. My car do about 0,5-0,8L per 10000km

domingo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Thanks! Did they have to drop the subframe to get to the oil pump? It seems like a pretty big job and i'm stressing lol.
I have no idea, but it took 2 days. They plug car into something like outside battery because ECU changes need time to reprogram.
Don't you have a recall like we got in EU?

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0

Thank you for response! My 2020 doesn't consume excess oil , but it wasn't reading oil levels. It also had out of spec oil pressure as determined by their diagnostics. They went back and forth with Toyota Canada about it. So I'm hopeful this will fix whatever underlying issues I had. Just hard to see the car pulled apart like that I guess.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have no idea, but it took 2 days. They plug car into something like outside battery because ECU changes need time to reprogram.
Don't you have a recall like we got in EU?
Yup,I had the recall done back in October 2021 in Canada but I still unfortunately had issues with checking my oil levels.

domingo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Yup,I had the recall done back in October 2021 in Canada but I still unfortunately had issues with checking my oil levels.
You should do it on warranty, thats car feature malfunction.
If they don't want to do it, try to show them how it's look in your car and in the proper working one.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You should do it on warranty, thats car feature malfunction.
If they don't want to do it, try to show them how it's look in your car and in the proper working one.
Thankfully they are actually going ahead and fixing it like they did for yours! Hopefully my oil pressure turns out good and I can read my oil through the dash screen. Sucks not having a dipstick lol!

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well this sucks, the new oil pump didn't resolve the issue with oil measurement now they are ordering the oil level sensor lmao. And they also have to get new subframe bolts as they claim they are one use only. So my car has been sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks, going on 3.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They are torque to yield bolts. Lots of the suspension stuff is.
It's just been an exhausting experience, wish they had the subframe bolts to begin with , before starting this warranty. Thanks for the reply though!

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
It's just been an exhausting experience, wish they had the subframe bolts to begin with , before starting this warranty. Thanks for the reply though!
Im pretty sure I went though this exact pain just in a slightly different order. First they replaced the sensor, then told me they needed to drop the subframe and swap the oil pump, then told me they had to wait for these bolts for a week. Whole process left me without the Supra for a few weeks.

Now I get to go back next week for oil consumption…

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Im pretty sure I went though this exact pain just in a slightly different order. First they replaced the sensor, then told me they needed to drop the subframe and swap the oil pump, then told me they had to wait for these bolts for a week. Whole process left me without the Supra for a few weeks.

Now I get to go back next week for oil consumption…
I wish you luck bud... I hope they can solve it and in a timely manner. Sucks being at the will of Toyota and BMW. You'd think these things would be streamlined a bit better being that it's a collab.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I’ve got an appointment next week to tear into my motor. They seem like they will be replacing piston rings and inspecting cylinder walls. I’ll update you guys if this stops my crazy oil burn.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
I’ve got an appointment next week to tear into my motor. They seem like they will be replacing piston rings and inspecting cylinder walls. I’ll update you guys if this stops my crazy oil burn.
Always cool to get a new engine under warranty :)

Did the oil pressure control valve ever get replaced? There seemed to be rumblings about that earlier in this thread, but no one confirmed trying it.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just an update for you, 30 days later on the dot and they finally have my car back to me. They replaced both oil pump and level sensor as well as new subframe bolts. The car is able to read its oil level now! Still took way longer than it should have but atleast the car is back in my garage.
Sponsored