Car buyback - what happens to PPF?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Rather than go off topic on my oil thread, I’m posting a separate thread. Anyway, my car is burning oil. Speculation about possible buyback.

Not to assume it’s a fiat accompli, but when a car is bought back by Toyota, is aftermarket PPF costs to the consumer compensated, or would I lose that?

just wondering in case I get bad news.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Rather than go off topic on my oil thread, I’m posting a separate thread. Anyway, my car is burning oil. Speculation about possible buyback.

Not to assume it’s a fiat accompli, but when a car is bought back by Toyota, is aftermarket PPF costs to the consumer compensated, or would I lose that?

You probably lose that. Anything you put on the car afterwards is on you. They buy the car back how they sold it to you.

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium

When I sold my previous car to the dealer with PPF done in the past month to buy my Supra, I didn't receive anything to compensate the cost. They only appraise on value of the car in poor-good-excellent condition and miles used. Paint protection doesn't increase the value, just protects it.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
When I sold my previous car to the dealer with PPF done in the past month to buy my Supra, I didn't receive anything to compensate the cost. They only appraise on value of the car in poor-good-excellent condition and miles used. Paint protection doesn't increase the value, just protects it.
That’s what I assume. I can only hope that, if things come to pass and it is a buyback, the current market value will offset. I bought new for around $49k.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
That’s what I assume. I can only hope that, if things come to pass and it is a buyback, the current market value will offset. I bought new for around $49k.
Carmax? Based on my (mostly bad) experiences with multiple purchases there (before finally learning my lesson). They will likely buy it at more than you paid - considering they'll turn around and sell it to someone for $58K or something like that. :rolleyes:

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Would be lost. Just had a buy back on my supra 2 weeks ago and I have a complete ceramic and ppf on the car. Gone! You only get money back on the car and oem install parts from the dealership.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Would be lost. Just had a buy back on my supra 2 weeks ago and I have a complete ceramic and ppf on the car. Gone! You only get money back on the car and oem install parts from the dealership.
Getting another one or done?

Was buy back for oil burning? I'm starting to wonder if this is going to result in a recall.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Getting another one or done?

Was buy back for oil burning? I'm starting to wonder if this is going to result in a recall.
I am done with Toyota. They have been treating there consumers like garbage and they fail to address issues with the Supra. I am waiting for new shipments on a 2022 Hyundai Veloster N.

Now one thing I forgot to mention is that depending on what state you live in, your buyback refund can screw you. For example, I normally go back to my home state of NY to buy cars; however, living in Florida and buying a car here was a poor decision. In the buyback for Florida, the state which caters to corporations, when you have Toyota buy back the car they convert your loan to a lease contract and deduct money from how many miles you put on the car.

So, I had 7,600 miles on the car and only owning it for 2 years. They deducted $3,500 from my $27,000 down payment and trade in. The reason for the buyback to answer the question was the throttle issue that I had been dealing with for over a year. Toyota will not do a recall unless everyone gets together and sign a petition to the NHTSA and demand a investigation into the supra's issues and force Toyota to have a recall.

They are buying back the cars to keep everyone quiet plus it's cheaper to go that direction than a recall. On the NHTSA site you can see people complain about the supra and someone already crashed their car because of the throttle issue. Hope this helps.

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
if they dont wanna pay you for the PPF just peel that shit off before you give the car to the dealer....and tell them that you are having it removed if they dont want to cover the cost of it in the buyback..... they are gonna try to upmark the car to the next person they sell it to for the PPF you paid for..... i mean they are going to pay you for how the car was sold to you so you should give it back to them after you peel that shit off....let them pay to have it put back on

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I am done with Toyota. They have been treating there consumers like garbage and they fail to address issues with the Supra. I am waiting for new shipments on a 2022 Hyundai Veloster N.

Now one thing I forgot to mention is that depending on what state you live in, your buyback refund can screw you. For example, I normally go back to my home state of NY to buy cars; however, living in Florida and buying a car here was a poor decision. In the buyback for Florida, the state which caters to corporations, when you have Toyota buy back the car they convert your loan to a lease contract and deduct money from how many miles you put on the car.

So, I had 7,600 miles on the car and only owning it for 2 years. They deducted $3,500 from my $27,000 down payment and trade in. The reason for the buyback to answer the question was the throttle issue that I had been dealing with for over a year. Toyota will not do a recall unless everyone gets together and sign a petition to the NHTSA and demand a investigation into the supra's issues and force Toyota to have a recall.

They are buying back the cars to keep everyone quiet plus it's cheaper to go that direction than a recall. On the NHTSA site you can see people complain about the supra and someone already crashed their car because of the throttle issue. Hope this helps.
Yep, I know a local guy who crashed because of the throttle issue. He’s lawyered up.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
if they dont wanna pay you for the PPF just peel that shit off before you give the car to the dealer....and tell them that you are having it removed if they dont want to cover the cost of it in the buyback..... they are gonna try to upmark the car to the next person they sell it to for the PPF you paid for..... i mean they are going to pay you for how the car was sold to you so you should give it back to them after you peel that shit off....let them pay to have it put back on
Yeah and true. Can't say the same for the ceramic coat i have on the whole car. Even when they sell the car to someone else, the PPF would be the least of there problems. For the amount of seal replacements i had done and yet the big issue with the throttle and sport mode not working i think that car would be bought back again. There is absolutely no fix for it. Even the mechanic that i know who worked on the car said the same thing.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I know a local guy who crashed because of the throttle issue. He’s lawyered up.
Everyone needs to be aware of these things. I thought it was just a few cars here and there until i almost crashed into a wall because of the throttle issue. The stress just trying to get a buyback is a pain in the ass.

Mkv758

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Can you guys elaborate on the throttle issue. You got me worried now lol.
Sponsored