Carplay has disappeared

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
As per @hanswurst24 posting on the following thread, the Supra does not offer OTA updates.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/supra-updates.5276/

Can someone confirm the opposite?

I guess the bug is on the Supra Connect service side, which I am sure will get fixed soon enough.

I understand the need to let Toyota know how widespread the problem, but threatening a Class Action lawsuit is not only premature but a bit exaggerated.

"A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention." Prv 15:18
I think they meant it will not get the OTA update to Idrive 7.0 which has been known. Also the news is spreading about this as people on Instagram are posting to Toyota asking about a fix.
Sponsored

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I think the term "OTA Update" is confusing. It can mean specific things, depending on car and system. Our cars are running iDrive 6.0. Our version has a backend provided by BMW Connect servers, operating under the "Supra Connect" name.

One thing the system does is check subscription information periodically. Many of the functions of iDrive/BMW Connect/Supra Connect are indeed subscription based, including Carplay. The system connects via a built-in LTE modem to the BMW servers and authorizes various functions.

My guess is this authorization went kaput sometime around Dec. 1. A typo/screwup, perhaps in the factory-built authorization date. 12-1-20 could be typo of any number of dates. (for example, somebody typed "12-1-2024" when the system was expecting a 2-digit year for the date and accidently entered 12-1-20). I would guess this gets fixed fairly quickly. Just my $0.02.

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
would this be something that they would call in a Recall? or just a walk in update the car? (assuming once they get this all figured out) or like an Over-the-air programming update thing?

I would just want to get the feature back thats all :dunno:
I dont drive my supra that often but it must bug people who use it all the time as daily im assuming.

mlevere1988

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Has anyone tried connecting the iPhone by a cable to the USB port near the charging pad? Not even sure that provides a wired CarPlay experience in normal working conditions. I have not yet -- will do so when I walk back downstairs. Not an acceptable solve in my opinion - more just curious if that will even work.
I tried this and it was a no go. CarPlay still gone.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
I tried this and it was a no go. CarPlay still gone.
Same. Tried wired, no luck. Even hard reset the infotainment with a Mode + Power for around 25 seconds. Nothing, the option for CarPlay under settings just disappeared no matter how many times or ways you pair it.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
would this be something that they would call in a Recall? or just a walk in update the car? (assuming once they get this all figured out) or like an Over-the-air programming update thing?

I would just want to get the feature back thats all :dunno:
I dont drive my supra that often but it must bug people who use it all the time as daily im assuming.
Purely guessing, it seems the way the system works is like this: iDrive hits the Supra Connect server and if it determines there is an active CarPlay subscription, it displays the CarPlay icon and enables its functionality; if there is no active subscription, then the CarPlay icon doesn't display and disables its functionality. Some update in Supra Connect service side caused CarPlay to be disabled. Toyota/BMW just needs to fix that bug and CarPlay will be back to normal - no need to take the car to dealer.

I don't drive my car that often either. CarPlay worked fine a week ago. I'll find out if it still works or disappears this weekend.

860_ZUPR4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1383, 2015 WRX, 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2018 Civic Type R
Its a BMW thing for sure, my friend with a 340i just messaged me and said it just disappeared from the settings in his car. even though it could still very well be due to the new iOS.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Its a BMW thing for sure, my friend with a 340i just messaged me and said it just disappeared from the settings in his car. even though it could still very well be due to the new iOS.
Doubt it's the iOS update. Mine disappeared the day before I updated and couldn't get CarPlay to show back up no matter how many times I deleted my phone. I attempted to update the next day hoping it would resolve it, but nope.

ArtEmortal

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 GTI 1.8T, 2013 VW CC R-Line, 2020 Toyota Supra
well, got back from the toyota dealership. they had my car from yesterday around 12 lunch time to today around 12 lunch time.

carplay is not working and they do not know how to fix it. they went as far as doing a hard reset to the headunit. my EQ was reset, and my seat memory was gone. im guessing they unplugged the battery or something? im NOT tuned. i am still running stock tune with a downpipe, yes check engine light is forever on.

from what the service write said, the software that BMW rolled out recently caused the issue. the fix is coming, he said, "within the week or next week" im guess a month or two from now, maybe. what i don't get is just roll back to the previous version that was working. Toyota and BMW are aware of the issue. The dealership called the Toyota tech line and had an engineer on the phone trying to debug the car and they could not figure it out either. they used the excuse, the car is just too new.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
you guys bringing your car into the dealership have to understand that the issue and fix will be coming from a server room somewhere. The issue isn't with the car...it's with the Supra (BMW) Connect system saying that your Car Play subscription is expired/invalid.

Unless you like techs resetting, unplugging and replacing parts at random, I would personally avoid going to the dealership to have them try and figure it out. The solution is going to come from much higher than the local service bay.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
you guys bringing your car into the dealership have to understand that the issue and fix will be coming from a server room somewhere. The issue isn't with the car...it's with the Supra (BMW) Connect system saying that your Car Play subscription is expired/invalid.

Unless you like techs resetting, unplugging and replacing parts at random, I would personally avoid going to the dealership to have them try and figure it out. The solution is going to come from much higher than the local service bay.
Ditto. Unsure why its so hard to grasp. If the issue was caused via "OTA" it's gonna be resolved the same way. Dealership doesn't have a magic man hiding in the shop (nor do they know much about these cars in general).

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This guy knows how to IT.

ArtEmortal

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 GTI 1.8T, 2013 VW CC R-Line, 2020 Toyota Supra

if no one reports the problem, then how do they know what to fix?

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
if no one reports the problem, then how do they know what to fix?
I called Toyota and reported it, and they added my VIN as an affected vehicle. You don't have to physically take your car in to report IT related issues. Not that it's a bad thing, just a waste of time. I agree with the other poster above though that states Toyota should just revert the OTA update if it's possible instead of making everyone wait up to 2 weeks for another OTA fix (assuming it doesn't take longer).
Sponsored