Catless DP going on soon - stick w/ OEM exhaust?

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
I decided to go with a catless DP to pick up as much power as possible on my '20. This will likely be paired with a flex fuel tune in hopes of that +/- 500whp/wtq sweet spot. I have yet to install it, but curious if anyone has went this route with factory exhaust, and later added aftermarket exhaust and thought it was not worth it/or had regrets? I am looking at more reserved options as I don't want too much noise and attention ei AWE Touring resonated, HKS Turbo, or Magnaflow xMod. If I am not going to be sacrificing many HP gains or want for more sound, it is tempting for me to just keep the stock exhaust. I do think the stock set up is too quiet but feel the catless downpipe alone may solve that by itself. Let me know your thoughts!
Sponsored

LoveToCamp

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I stuck with the OEM exhaust itā€™s the right amount of loud now. And if I wanna cruise around I just leave it on comfort mode.

No drone, no nothing. Itā€™s just right. Just put the DP in first and see how you like it.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I decided to go with a catless DP to pick up as much power as possible on my '20. This will likely be paired with a flex fuel tune in hopes of that +/- 500whp/wtq sweet spot. I have yet to install it, but curious if anyone has went this route with factory exhaust, and later added aftermarket exhaust and thought it was not worth it/or had regrets? I am looking at more reserved options as I don't want too much noise and attention ei AWE Touring resonated, HKS Turbo, or Magnaflow xMod. If I am not going to be sacrificing many HP gains or want for more sound, it is tempting for me to just keep the stock exhaust. I do think the stock set up is too quiet but feel the catless downpipe alone may solve that by itself. Let me know your thoughts!
I put on a catless dp and got a 91 octane tune. I don't like the cold start with the catless dp I find it really raspy. However when going down the road in normal mode it's a touch louder than stock with no rasp or drone and when you get on it in sport mode it sounds Fantastic imo. I never got an aftermarket exhaust yet, but I honestly don't think I'll buy one. Also have the fake engine noise turned off in my car.

OP
OP
je8

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
I stuck with the OEM exhaust itā€™s the right amount of loud now. And if I wanna cruise around I just leave it on comfort mode.

No drone, no nothing. Itā€™s just right. Just put the DP in first and see how you like it.
Thanks. Great feedback and basically what Iā€™m looking for. Leaning towards this option so far.

I put on a catless dp and got a 91 octane tune. I don't like the cold start with the catless dp I find it really raspy. However when going down the road in normal mode it's a touch louder than stock with no rasp or drone and when you get on it in sport mode it sounds Fantastic imo. I never got an aftermarket exhaust yet, but I honestly don't think I'll buy one. Also have the fake engine noise turned off in my car.

Thanks for the feedback. Is the cold start noise just due to the higher idle or is there more to it? I too already had the fake engine noise turned off.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Thanks. Great feedback and basically what Iā€™m looking for. Leaning towards this option so far.

Thanks for the feedback. Is the cold start noise just due to the higher idle or is there more to it? I too already had the fake engine noise turned off.
A little more to it. More fuel and timing change to heat the motor up faster plus other things I don't know about.

Reactions: je8

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
doing catless before the exhaust is a good plan to test the waters. my advice is to stock with an axle-back exhaust as catback tend to get raspy with a catless downpipe

Reactions: je8

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Catless DP + e50 tune will get you to 500 wheel without the exhaust. Even with a catted DP + e50 tune I was able to put down 480hp/540tq thru the stock exhaust. Catless should be worth 15-20hp more.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I wish we had e85/50 in my area. I'm going to be stuck with lame ol 450whp.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
AWE all day long. Its probably the best combination of good sounds, quality, -and power there is. They make really good shit.

OP
OP
je8

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
Update: Catless DP on with stock exhaust. Certainly added some good exhaust volume on throttle but nearly as quiet as stock when just cruising. Intake/turbo noise went from barely anything to very noticeable. I am running the stock airbox & paper filter with the resonator/silencer deleted. I like this setup. I wouldn't be afraid of a little more exhaust volume but this is a good combo to make power but still fly under the radar when not driving spirited. I will likely stick with this for a good while, if not indefinitely, as I like the sound and, from what I gather, won't be restricting much if any power at this mod level (Catless DP/93 flex tune). Really a sweet spot for this car for the money. If going for more power, I are looking at a new turbo, less restrictive exhaust (maybe?), then port injection, transmission, axles, fuel pump, additional cooling...I won't go off the deep end yet. ?

JimmyA91

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Soon & 2018 Ram
AWE all day long. Its probably the best combination of good sounds, quality, -and power there is. They make really good shit.
Only if you go resonated. It is loud as shot with the touring unresonated

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Only if you go resonated. It is loud as shot with the touring unresonated
i wont disagree with that. my only complaint with awe is that while they sound AWESOME, they can sound too much. Its never raspy or drony or bad. Just too loud imo

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I wish we had e85/50 in my area. I'm going to be stuck with lame ol 450whp.
Lame??

The car struggles for traction with 450 at the wheels. I would pursue improving rear traction before looking at more HP.

-RJM

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Lame??

The car struggles for traction with 450 at the wheels. I would pursue improving rear traction before looking at more HP.

-RJM
Oh definitely, I'll be going with a 275/285 setup on 4S's once my stock tires are done. For now I'll enjoy the sliding lol.
Sponsored