Catless or Catted

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
I want to make the car louder as the stock exhaust is quite underwhelming on my 2021. Was debating just throwing on some catless downpipes, but then began to wonder about the CEL and of course the smell. If I'm not mistaken the CEL doesn't really harm the car, but doesn't allow for the downpipe to use its full potential. Is it worth spending the extra money to just go with a catted downpipe like the AA paired with a catback exhaust instead? My goal in the end is to make the car louder. Thanks for your guys help and sorry if this has been brought up before.
Sponsored

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
You live in California, I'd stick with catted personally. I never had a modded car in California but I've heard stories. I've had a catless dp on my car for a little over a week now (I live in FL). My check engine light is on but nothing is harming the engine, if anything, it feels more responsive and definitely revs faster. I'm getting a tune soon to make use of the DP and to get rid of the CEL. Yes, it does smell and yes it makes the car MUCH louder. Haven't heard it from the outside under load but my co-workers can hear me coming from quite a ways away.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
You live in California, I'd stick with catted personally. I never had a modded car in California but I've heard stories. I've had a catless dp on my car for a little over a week now (I live in FL). My check engine light is on but nothing is harming the engine, if anything, it feels more responsive and definitely revs faster. I'm getting a tune soon to make use of the DP and to get rid of the CEL. Yes, it does smell and yes it makes the car MUCH louder. Haven't heard it from the outside under load but my co-workers can hear me coming from quite a ways away.
Agreed. If you go catless you need a flash or a bef. If you plan on getting a JB4, MHD pairs great with it

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
where in CA are you? I have a catted AA DP in the Los Angeles area you can listen to, but not for long as I'm waiting for an AWE exhaust to arrive.

OP
OP
Boblay

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
Yeah I think a catless dp would definitely be problematic where I'm at. A supra near me is catless and the sound is beautiful imo. But I'm Most likely going to with the catted option instead to avoid the headaches.

OP
OP
Boblay

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
where in CA are you? I have a catted AA DP in the Los Angeles area you can listen to, but not for long as I'm waiting for an AWE exhaust to arrive.
I'm quite a way from Los Angeles. How does the catted dp sound with the stock exhaust system?

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
sounds better than stock. deeper growl and more pops. It's an improvement over stock, but depends on what your definition of louder as it's subjective. It sounds better and it is louder, but it wasn't enough for me which is why I'm adding an exhaust system to it.

OP
OP
Boblay

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
sounds better than stock. deeper growl and more pops. It's an improvement over stock, but depends on what your definition of louder as it's subjective. It sounds better and it is louder, but it wasn't enough for me which is why I'm adding an exhaust system to it.
I see, might have to go with the exhaust + catted dp combo then. Thanks for the help brother!

First Name
Eric Lerner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, BMW M550I,X3
catted (high flow cat) sounds better as cat-less are raspier especially after 2700k rpm.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

raw video- need to edit- warm up(easy until 3mins ish mark)

but my rear go pro i think captures the sound pretty well.
catless- stock muffler - jb4 map4 (track) e30

ps- stock muffler has changed color due to extra heat and flow from track days

Stock muffler has gotten a little louder over the last 6 track days. I think the 5000-6500 continued rpms are packing down sound insulation in there. fwiw

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Nice video. Is that Dominion? It's wider and longer than I thought.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice video. Is that Dominion? It's wider and longer than I thought.

yes.

People poo poo the track- and it does have a couple small issues.
Its plenty fun and only 10 mins from my house.
I am a member if you want to try it out one day?

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
yes.

People poo poo the track- and it does have a couple small issues.
Its plenty fun and only 10 mins from my house.
I am a member if you want to try it out one day?
Man I been thinking about learning on that track before going to VIR. Haven't been but checked it out online. It's a little over an hour from me.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Man I been thinking about learning on that track before going to VIR. Haven't been but checked it out online. It's a little over an hour from me.
Great little track. Happy to ride with you and or show some stuff.
Sponsored