Catted downpipe feedback

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
To preface, I’ve read the existing threads on this topic and would still like more feedback from owners who have installed catted DPs on their A90s. Some specific questions for my ‘21:
  • Which brand did you choose and why?
  • What is going on with availability? I’ve seen prices skyrocket and very short supply of CG precision and powerneedy, Wagner, etc.
  • With stock exhaust, what’s a good description of the sound increase and tone?
  • New to the “cell count” in the actual race cat being used… ranging from 100-400 and everyone says theirs is the best for “intended usage”. While emissions are not a concern of mine, sound and smell is. I like quieter cars and always have. I can code out CEL.
  • Tuned cars, anyone have any power numbers using a catted DP?
  • If you chose one and wish you’d chosen differently, why?
  • As a “preface to tuning” adding the dp seems proven to be the largest gain factor in hardware modification compared to exhaust and intake. If I decided to go with higher flow like the CG precision, are there any intakes worth buying to help further increase potential gains on a 93 pump or E50/E85 tune? I plan on a custom tune as soon as they become available and am purchasing now due to availability potentially getting worse.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I think this is all covered by existing threads, but FWIW

I chose Active Autowerke for my 2021 3.0 Premium. I wanted a catted DP that did not cause a CEL. My original choice was actually CG Precision due to their 5" internal diameter but it was backordered and the vendor wasn't sure when it would be back in stock. I doubt the HP gain is significant but at the time they were priced identically so it seemed logical to try the larger one.

Sound difference on stock exhaust: cold startup is perhaps 10-25% louder. Warm idle is indistinguishable from stock. Cruising at normal revs is very similar to stock. Under load, it's difficult to put to words: it's maybe 20% louder (if that) but tonally it's not too different. No blat, no drone, no rasp. Note that I still have ASD enabled so I don't know what role that plays. Deceleration, I do get more burbling verging up to almost the report of a rifle if I'm downshifting going down a steep hill. The main sound distinction is on cold startup and on deceleration but I doubt a bystander would know the car didn't sound this way stock. YouTube clips don't really give a good sense. Actually, trakday has one of his Active Autowerke-equipped car on a dyno. It's a good one. I'm sure you can find it.

I think there's a combination of factors playing into lack of supply. First, there seems to be a global shortage of the metals used in catalytic converters. That is also causing prices for catted downpipes to go up. Second, COVID is still being blamed for supply chain issues.

As for cell count, the Active Autowerke is 400 and I don't smell any gas ever. I'm same as you and care more about not stinking up the garage than 1-2 HP. I cannot say whether you will smell gas more with a lower cell count. I do not think there is a sound difference as between catted downpipes but there is a very significant sound difference between catted and catless. Same goes for smell.

Intakes don't do much of anything except let you hear the turbo. I haven't seen any with a demonstrable performance gain.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I think this is all covered by existing threads, but FWIW

I chose Active Autowerke MAPerformance for my 2021 3.0 Premium. I wanted a catted DP that did not cause a CEL. My original choice was actually Active Autowerke due to their 5" internal diameter popularity but it was backordered and the vendor wasn't sure when it would be back in stock. I doubt the HP gain is significant but at the time they were priced identically close enough so it seemed logical to try the larger one.

Sound difference on stock exhaust: cold startup is perhaps 10-25% louder. Warm idle is indistinguishable from stock. Cruising at normal revs is very similar to stock. Under load, it's difficult to put to words: it's maybe 20% louder (if that) but tonally it's not too different. No blat, no drone, no rasp. Note that I still have ASD enabled so I don't know what role that plays. Deceleration, I do get more burbling verging up to almost the report of a rifle if I'm downshifting going down a steep hill. The main sound distinction is on cold startup and on deceleration but I doubt a bystander would know the car didn't sound this way stock. YouTube clips don't really give a good sense. Actually, trakday has one of his Active Autowerke-equipped car on a dyno. It's a good one. I'm sure you can find it.

I think there's a combination of factors playing into lack of supply. First, there seems to be a global shortage of the metals used in catalytic converters. That is also causing prices for catted downpipes to go up. Second, COVID is still being blamed for supply chain issues.

As for cell count, the Active Autowerke MAPerformance is 400 and I don't smell any gas ever. I'm same as you and care more about not stinking up the garage than 1-2 HP. I cannot say whether you will smell gas more with a lower cell count. I do not think there is a sound difference as between catted downpipes but there is a very significant sound difference between catted and catless. Same goes for smell.

Intakes don't do much of anything except let you hear the turbo. I haven't seen any with a demonstrable performance gain.
------------
I copied and @VA90's post because pipes are pipes. The only thing that matters at all is the GESI cat.

Fitment was spot on too.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Active autowerke. Well known, no cel, sounds great with my Magnaflow. MAP performance is local to me and I've heard great things.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I went with the Powerneedy downpipe. The heat sinks on the O2 sensors, weld quality and video below are what convinced me to go with their brand.

The Hp numbers were not a factor for me since most catted downpipes are similar in gains. What you need to be concerned about is rear traction. Once you’re tuned its slip n slide until the ECU shuts you down.

-RJM

38BA0EE5-C262-4674-B32E-B633A102AD34.jpeg

OP
OP
PalmettoPrecision

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I went with the Powerneedy downpipe. The heat sinks on the O2 sensors, weld quality and video below are what convinced me to go with their brand.

The Hp numbers were not a factor for me since most catted downpipes are similar in gains. What you need to be concerned about is rear traction. Once you’re tuned its slip n slide until the ECU shuts you down.

-RJM

I’d love a powerneedy if I could find one. Word is they aren’t being made anymore.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I’d love a powerneedy if I could find one. Word is they aren’t being made anymore.
I DM'd them on IG and was not very promising.

They don't even have timelines or ETAs on when/if more will be made :(

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I thought Powaup (the man and forum member in the YouTube clip above) got a CEL from his Powerneedy anyway:dunno:

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
most popular with our customers is the Active Autowerke. Spot on fitment, no CEL, great sound.
https://x-ph.com/active-autowerke-aa-bmw-supra-b58-catted-downpipe/

The best value for catless is the MAD B58. Spot on fitment, lifetime warranty
https://mad-us.com/mad-b58-downpipe-w-bracket-bmw-f-g-chassis-supra/
Big up to you guys for shipping my AA downpipe a month after ordering when a lot of other places were gonna have me waiting twice as long or more at the time I was looking.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I run the MXP catted downpipe. It is decent quality, I’ve put about 13k miles on the downpipe without issues. Since it is a cheaper dp that does not use a GESI cat I did get a CEL. Supposedly this brand has a integrated O2 spacer but it did not work for me.

as far as performance. On a OTS 93 map, I put down 412hp/480tq. With an e50 custom tune it puts down 480hp/540tq. After speaking with the tuner, the cat probably holds back 15-20hp. I saw cars with the same tuner on same dyno pushing right at 500hp.
CE02B38F-87E7-465E-911C-8EB51E9C13DA.jpeg

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. How is everyone doing with the Active Autowerke catted DP? I'm thinking of getting this one for my non-tuneable 2021 Supra. Anyone end up getting a CEL after a long period? Thanks.

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. How is everyone doing with the Active Autowerke catted DP? I'm thinking of getting this one for my non-tuneable 2021 Supra. Anyone end up getting a CEL after a long period? Thanks.
20k miles on my downpipe, 46k miles on the (2020) supra, no CEL ever, not tuned either and no other engine/exhaust modifications.

OP
OP
PalmettoPrecision

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting you bring this up. I sold my MK5 and have a catted downpipe I never used that I’d like to offload . PM me if interested.

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
The AA is awesome. I highly recommend it. No CEL. You can
get it from @NitroYellowMKV.
Sponsored