SupraCal

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5
Dear friends,
I am about to embark on making my exhaust sound better with a catless downpipe with a 'L' extension for the O2 sensor.
I read that this may be successful in preventing a CEL.

Can I confirm that even if a CEL occurs, the car will still run fine with no ill effects? also, what can I use to reset/ switch off the CEL whenever it pops up, without having to go down the tuning route with BM3, ECUtek? I plan only to tune after I have done the rest of the mods later.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SupraCal

SupraCal

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5
Thanks mate.

Will the car run properly without a tune? assuming I can live with the CEL? will it be too lean? hopefully a tuning guru can shed some light on this?

Marin@MarinTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Usually the tune runs "okay" but at higher speeds I have seen a drivetrain warning thrown for the tune being a bit too far out of spec. I drove for a solid week on a stock tune with a downpipe at one point because I forgot to flash my file due to being so busy.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
The car runs the same with CEL; it's just a warning light. AFR is the same with catless as your ECU adjusts fueling.
From my experience, O2 spacers are unreliable. Your best bet is to pair the downpipe with bootmod3 for no CEL and a lot more power. :D

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Just posting my experience, but I installed a 90Ā° spacer off Amazon with a SSR catless DP. I have driven the car about 70 miles so far and have been stepping on it pretty hard. Still donā€™t have a CEL.

Attachments

Marin@MarinTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Just posting my experience, but I installed a 90Ā° spacer off Amazon with a SSR catless DP. I have driven the car about 70 miles so far and have been stepping on it pretty hard. Still donā€™t have a CEL.
It took me an entire week to get a check engine light on mine with no spacer... I havent heard of these working at all on this platform to be honest.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
It took me an entire week to get a check engine light on mine with no spacer... I havent heard of these working at all on this platform to be honest.
Yup, it turned on... P0136 and P013E. I canā€™t say Iā€™m surprised but was worth the 20$. Iā€™ll just live with the CEL for the time being.

OP
OP
SupraCal

SupraCal

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5
you can turn these codes/CEL off with the OBD2 reader right? and repeat it when necessary.

OP
OP
SupraCal

SupraCal

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5
Getting the P0141 (sensor heater), P2271 (O2 sensor 2 stuck rich) , P2096(post cat fuel trim too lean) codes.
I have been clearing them on a weekly basis. Any effect on the air fuel ratio/ health of the engine?

local tuner tells me that the second O2 sensor does play a part in the AFR. so blindly clearing it will damage the engine.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Just a heads up
Getting the P0141 (sensor heater), P2271 (O2 sensor 2 stuck rich) , P2096(post cat fuel trim too lean) codes.
I have been clearing them on a weekly basis. Any effect on the air fuel ratio/ health of the engine?

local tuner tells me that the second O2 sensor does play a part in the AFR. so blindly clearing it will damage the engine.
Your secondary O2 sensor is monitoring the Efficiency of the catalytic converter. With the cat obviously removed, the sensor has no idea whatā€™s going on, so itā€™s setting a variety of codes.

For the most part, these codes may affect your gas mileage only, but the car remains drivable. I have heard that manufacturers are starting to utilize the rear O2 a little bit more but Iā€™m not sure exactly in which manner.

On a sidenote; Iā€™ve been running a Function Werk Catless downpipe for a few weeks now with NO CEL. This downpipe has an integral defouler that surprisingly works as advertised. Iā€™ve put maybe 450 miles on the car with this DP with all types of driving styles (ie; hard acceleration, constant high cruising loads, slow city driving, etc.) and still no CEL.

Iā€™ve also completed at least 75 key cycles also with no CEL...Iā€™m actually pretty impressed that it works as advertised. As many have stated, often the defouler extension typically do not work, except this defouler is inside the pipe and not considered an extension.
Sponsored