Chris Harris on GR Yaris and Supra.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Just think how pissed Jeremy Clarkson must be that Chris Harris stirred so much with one tweet. Lol.

I'm sure Toyota/Lexus COULD'VE built another car slotted between their RCF and the LFA to compete against the 911 Turbo, C8, 2021 M4 and 488, but a lot of us wouldn't be here as it would be TWICE THE PRICE of the current Supra.

Chris Harris' tweet ranting on the Supra was not because it was a bad car - he loves performance BMW cars - it's the fact that it wasn't a sole Toyota product.

Yes, we're just going in circles now, but...again... *NEW car*, *at or near the Supra's PRICE point*, there's hardly an argument for a better car without spending at LEAST $10K if not more. Yes, the RCF Track Edition may come to mind since it's a true Toyota-only product, but isn't it SLOWER than the A90, yet costs $96K?

Sure, the previous generations were the original Supras as they were solely Toyota products. Yes, there are many better performance cars out there that are more expensive (new only) or are at the same price point (used/CPO).

If Toyota and BMW wouldn't have agreed to build this car, we'd have to put it in the past like the RX7, MR2 and 3000GT and we'd never be discussing this. Gladly, they partnered up and created a fine sports car car. We will have to see what Nissan brings to the table with their new Z.

Maybe they could've avoided all the butt-hurting and not called it a Supra? Is the name plate the reason for all the bickering? Call it the Toyota Sphincter, for all I care, it's still a great NEW sports car for UNDER $60K. Lol. Who can argue with that? When every manufacturer is turning away from sports cars to build SUVs, I'm glad Toyota and BMW got together and boldly built this thing.

This isn't the 90s anymore, sadly. We, especially those of us on a budget, have slim pickings.

And that's likely what the LC-F **will** be.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
That a much evolved Lexus brand exists and the GR super sport en route, I really dont think that Toyota considers the Supra it's de-facto Halo car.
The problem here is that they teased us with a super car, they even brought the FT-1 to SILV. I understand Calty was unaware of what was happening with BMW, but Toyota should have halted their efforts much sooner

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why didn't Toyota make that car when the partnered with BMW? They didn't have to make the Supra the same size as the Z4, this is scalable architecture after all . They could have made it just slightly larger to compete against the same cars it used to. Take that a step further and put in the V35a behind the front axle and you have a front-mid engine 911 competitor like the AMG GT and C5-C7 Corvettes. Then you would have a car that utilizes the cost saving measures of this partnership and you have a world class sports car that represents new Toyota development. Of course this will raise the price, but not anywhere near the cost of a $100K in-house Supra.
Why would they want to pair a Lexus with BMW?

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The problem here is that they teased us with a super car, they even brought the FT-1 to SILV. I understand Calty was unaware of what was happening with BMW, but Toyota should have halted their efforts much sooner
Sooo.... would you be more content with a $100k+ car? that would sell at less than 100 units/month, for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Sooo.... would you be more content with a $100k+ car? that would sell at less than $100/month
Stop being pedantic, there is a middle ground between 100% BMW and 100% Toyota. You just read my comment where I said this

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not being pedantic, I just prefer to live in reality rather than an improbable "what if" or "why couldn't they". The only other way I could see us having the same product portfolio, without all the moaning is if Toyota chose not to badge it "Supra".

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I'm not being pedantic, I just prefer to live in reality rather than an improbable "what if" or "why couldn't they". The only other way I could see us having the same product portfolio, without all the moaning is if Toyota chose not to badge it "Supra".
Then youre in the wrong thread. This thread is about Chris Harris's view of the Supra and why he is disappointed in it in comparison to his rejoice of the GR Yaris. The "what ifs" directly relate to how Toyota could have satisfied his complaints. I understand the "what ifs" are pointless and do not change Toyota's decisions, but purposefully taking my comments out of context and cherry picking which sentences you read from them is not helping.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'll politely exit then, Mr. Meeseeks.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think we should delete this thread. Giving this Chris fellow much too much publicity.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
I think we should delete this thread. Giving this Chris fellow much too much publicity.
Agreed.

All these people getting triggered by an auto journalist’s opinion.

“The earth is flat.”
“The chicken came before the egg.”
“Dipping French fries in milkshakes is normal.

Say something provocative and you’ll get a response:dunno:

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Sponsored