NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I feel like our sound taste might be the same. I’d want to keep catted DP to avoid the smell on a DD. My dream is catted but higher flow DP, stock catback, external WGs, hoping that gives the right sound combo but keeps it quiet during normal driving.
only thing that bugs me about the B58 is the sound and massive amount of pops / burbles.
so funny enough, I think now I may swap to catless just for this sake of how Quiet the FI exhaust is, I gave it a few K miles to break in and with the catted dp just not enough actual exhaust noise, I love the fitment quality and no drone with the FI, but its already so quiet with valves closed that a little more noise going catless wouldn't hurt, but lets see if I'll actually keep it that way, figure Ill try it and go back to AA worst case.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
so funny enough, I think now I may swap to catless just for this sake of how Quiet the FI exhaust is, I gave it a few K miles to break in and with the catted dp just not enough actual exhaust noise, I love the fitment quality and no drone with the FI, but its already so quiet with valves closed that a little more noise going catless wouldn't hurt, but lets see if I'll actually keep it that way, figure Ill try it and go back to AA worst case.
You sell that AA one? Buddy down the street (literally) has can turn it on/off with the push off a button. It’s so badass!

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
I feel like our sound taste might be the same. I’d want to keep catted DP to avoid the smell on a DD. My dream is catted but higher flow DP, stock catback, external WGs, hoping that gives the right sound combo but keeps it quiet during normal driving.
only thing that bugs me about the B58 is the sound and massive amount of pops / burbles.

this reminds me of my VAG days, all the 1.8T shops pushed fancy BPVs just like this lol, it was a MaNDaToRY upgrade for “chipped” boost levels.
Like they all ignore the fact that either design holds just fine as a result of physics.
I kept my stocker without issue including with big turbo.
Anyway it made me LOL to it with other communities.

Now back to the topic of clutches…

Did any of the PR owners come back with results after slippage? Curious if they all sold their cars, went to aftermarket clutches, deleted the clutch valves, or none of the above and everything is fine?

took me a few days on and off the read this entire thread and while I am waiting on a manual MK5 to be delivered this thread made me extremely nervous.
I don’t plan to drag or even road track this car, it’s just going to be a daily and occasional highway pull car so not much need to shift hard. But that said aftermarket clutch will be needed at some point just to handle the 600-700whp desired.

My question is: if the CDV is the cause, meaning people are shifting and getting back on the gas too quickly and going faster than the CDV allows, wouldn’t aftermarket clutches have the same issue? Not sure about how the hydraulic one from that FX1000 video works exactly but in general it seems like any clutch would be prone to the extra wear and eventual slip.
and last question comment: any of you original posters that have edited this thread, please come back and share your clutch status as of now.
so far all I am seeing is NitroYellow still has an issue, he just avoids it by not driving the car hard from a stop thru 1-3

You can have a shop make you a downpipe with a Gesi 850HP rated cat for much less than the options sold online. That's gonna be my route but with the rest of the exhaust too. I would like to try adding v-bands to take the cat off for track days but doubt I'll have enough room to make that a reality.

To answer one of your questions, my buddy from PR ended up stopping his Supra build and is just moving to a Porsche. Not sure if others are in a similar situation considering how new Supras over there are so expensive might as well go with a used exotic at that point.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP

this reminds me of my VAG days, all the 1.8T shops pushed fancy BPVs just like this lol, it was a MaNDaToRY upgrade for “chipped” boost levels.
Like they all ignore the fact that either design holds just fine as a result of physics.
I kept my stocker without issue including with big turbo.
Anyway it made me LOL to it with other communities.

Now back to the topic of clutches…

Did any of the PR owners come back with results after slippage? Curious if they all sold their cars, went to aftermarket clutches, deleted the clutch valves, or none of the above and everything is fine?

took me a few days on and off the read this entire thread and while I am waiting on a manual MK5 to be delivered this thread made me extremely nervous.
I don’t plan to drag or even road track this car, it’s just going to be a daily and occasional highway pull car so not much need to shift hard. But that said aftermarket clutch will be needed at some point just to handle the 600-700whp desired.

My question is: if the CDV is the cause, meaning people are shifting and getting back on the gas too quickly and going faster than the CDV allows, wouldn’t aftermarket clutches have the same issue? Not sure about how the hydraulic one from that FX1000 video works exactly but in general it seems like any clutch would be prone to the extra wear and eventual slip.
and last question comment: any of you original posters that have edited this thread, please come back and share your clutch status as of now.
so far all I am seeing is NitroYellow still has an issue, he just avoids it by not driving the car hard from a stop thru 1-3
I made the suggestion previously. If you think the CDV doesn't allow the clutch pressure plate to quickly reengage/clamp the clutch plate again after you release the clutch pedal and this results in a degree of slipping after each upshift then it's an easy thing to test. Put the car in first gear and raise the engine rpm to say 1500 rpm and with your foot off the brake on level ground side step the clutch pedal. If the engine immediately stalls then the answer is no the CDV isn't impeding the clutch clamping instantly. If the car bogs a little but tends to pull away with what feels like the clutch is actually modulating somewhat or to a degree then the answer is yes the CDV is restricting the clutch clamping quickly and probably causing a little slipping on each fast upshift.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra MT
Update on my 2023 Supra. With the windows down, I noticed a faint burning clutch smell. Took it to the dealership and they confirmed the smell. Dropped the transmission this week and found that the clutch release bearing had failed taking the clutch with it. My car has 9200 miles.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Out of curiosity, y’all think there are more “issues” on the MT cars vs the ZF transmission ones? A friend can’t wait to get his hands on a manual for tracking. Hoping they fix this for 2024

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
this thread doesn't give me the most confidence, but we don't have a "Clutch Has been Perfect" thread to get the opposite feedback. Most people just daily drive their cars.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra MT
Mine was daily driven, no burnouts, clutch dumps, etc. I drove the car up our one mountain road fairly often, but nothing that a car of this caliper should bat an eye at.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
Mine was daily driven, no burnouts, clutch dumps, etc. I drove the car up our one mountain road fairly often, but nothing that a car of this caliper should bat an eye at.
i guess the question is - was this failure a rare occurrence or could there be an underlying weakness. if they let you keep the bad part i'd be curious to see pics, but they may keep or return it since it's a warranty claim.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Getting onto 9k miles and still pretty much same boat, avoid any WOT 1st- 2 into 3rd, which honestly on the street isn’t hard to do, I rarely have the space to safely floor it from 1st getting to the 3rd gear shift anyway. And if I want to light it up I can still launch it in 1st and go into 2nd and as long as i avoid 3rd I’m fine! And I constantly am WOT 2nd to 3rd. I still haven’t deleted CDV but want to try a car that has it removed. Overall I’ve pretty much come to term that the car is staying at stock power levels and while it’s not an ideal situation, oh well could be worse!

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Getting onto 9k miles and still pretty much same boat, avoid any WOT 1st- 2 into 3rd, which honestly on the street isn’t hard to do, I rarely have the space to safely floor it from 1st getting to the 3rd gear shift anyway. And if I want to light it up I can still launch it in 1st and go into 2nd and as long as i avoid 3rd I’m fine! And I constantly am WOT 2nd to 3rd. I still haven’t deleted CDV but want to try a car that has it removed. Overall I’ve pretty much come to term that the car is staying at stock power levels and while it’s not an ideal situation, oh well could be worse!
I am having having trouble following what you are saying. Are you talking about no lift gear changes? What does "1st- 2 into 3rd" mean? You say avoid WOT but then you can launch it in first and go in to 2nd but avoid 3rd.... Super confused.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I am having having trouble following what you are saying. Are you talking about no lift gear changes? What does "1st- 2 into 3rd" mean? You say avoid WOT but then you can launch it in first and go in to 2nd but avoid 3rd.... Super confused.
No, I lift between shifts. And ya it’s a little hard to understand but the slipping occurs 100% of the time when I floor it from a low rpm in 1st, (this is with TC of ofc) shift into 2nd (it’ll still be partially spinning) and the shift into 3rd and it catches traction it will slip pretty terribly, and then smell like burnt clutch for a few hours, but even if I floor it immediately after it’ll will be fine. The odd part is if I do the same thing from 2nd the car is totally fine, if I launch it from 1st into 2nd it’s fine (as long as I don’t try and shift into 3rd).

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
This just came up on my feed, 2023 MT running around 570hp.
Very curious to know from them if they've done any work on the transmission at all and whether they noticed any issues.
Reason being, in my opinion if there are no issues on this car running around +40% more power than stock, then for whoever does have issues we can be more confident in the theory of manufacturing issues.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
No, I lift between shifts. And ya it’s a little hard to understand but the slipping occurs 100% of the time when I floor it from a low rpm in 1st, (this is with TC of ofc) shift into 2nd (it’ll still be partially spinning) and the shift into 3rd and it catches traction it will slip pretty terribly, and then smell like burnt clutch for a few hours, but even if I floor it immediately after it’ll will be fine. The odd part is if I do the same thing from 2nd the car is totally fine, if I launch it from 1st into 2nd it’s fine (as long as I don’t try and shift into 3rd).
What you're describing sounds an awful lot like the CDV giving you more slip than you expect based on your clutch input.

It's the exact kind of thing that drove me nuts.

Get that f'in thing out of there! It's whole purpose is to shift the broken parts burden due to poor driving from warrantied parts to a non-warrantied one.

You will have absolutely zero regrets.
Sponsored