Coilover question

skaletzelt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Can anybody tell me what is going on in this picture of my front right coilover? There seems to be a brown tein coilover in the middle of the stock coilover? Can anyone tell me what and why it's there? I just got the supra and i know the previous owner dropped the ride height. Does this have anything to do with it? I'm just trying to understand. Any help is much appreciated.

IMG_8932.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
skaletzelt

skaletzelt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Thank you! I wonder how the previous owner dropped the ride height without a new coilover or suspension. They are both stock from what i can see and the brown springs are just silencers. Is it possible that he cut the stock coils to reduce ride height?
that's irresponsible. the sleeves are probably placed on top of where the manufacturer sticker would be. if you post a pic of the car we might be able to guess it depending on the drop: eibach, rsr, swift, etc

OP
OP
skaletzelt

skaletzelt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Here is the picture. I was able to confirm that the suspension/shocks are stock BMW during a previous service. I found the BMW sticker on the shocks. I don't know about the springs. From what i can tell the coilovers are also stock but they just seem to have less coils. That's why my guess is they cut the coils to drop height.

IMG_9241.jpg

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
based on the coil pitch, my theory is they are RS-R super down springs, with coil sleeves installed by the previous owner

if correct, you should be able to pull off the top sleeve by hand and see if there is an rsr logo

Last edited:

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
how harsh does that ride? It looks like the fronts are just sitting on top of the bump stops.

OP
OP
skaletzelt

skaletzelt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
how harsh does that ride? It looks like the fronts are just sitting on top of the bump stops.
It's pretty harsh. Especially when you hit any dips or humps in the freeway. I'm going to pull the sleeves off and check what springs are they and probably replace it with a good set of spring and go back to stock ride height. I have a pretty steep driveway at work and my house and my heart sinks every time I scrape the bottom. No matter how much of an angle I take the driveway it scrapes. Any suggestions on the springs? Should i just get the OEM springs?

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
I would just get oem springs unless you want a stiffer ride with coilovers. Iā€™m actually selling my Ohlins.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Eibach euro springs are the least low out of the bunch. Still gives an oem like ride but gets rid of the monster truck look.

OP
OP
skaletzelt

skaletzelt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
based on the coil pitch, my theory is they are RS-R super down springs, with coil sleeves installed by the previous owner

if correct, you should be able to pull off the top sleeve by hand and see if there is an rsr logo
I think you are right. I tried to take the sleeves out by hand but I just couldnā€™t itā€™s fit snug like a glove lol. But after looking at the coil pitch and comparing it to pictures of rsr super down springs Iā€™m now convinced that it is the rsr super down springs with tein coil sleeves to prevent their clunking. Thank you for your help solving this mystery!
Sponsored