Company reveal 2JZ engine conversion kit for new Toyota Supra

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Why do it when your B58 powered A90 GR can jump pretty easily to 400-450whp or higher pretty easily just like a 2JZ-GTE can without changing much? We already know from Tada-san that this new engine will do a heavily modified 600whp at least on its stock internals. That's pretty consistent with the original design intent of the 2JZ-GTE only Toyota, Yamaha, Hitachi and Getrag apparently did their job a little TOO well with it back in 1990 much to our collective delight.
Whilst the 2jz Engine is my fav engine of all time, (and the primal part of me is saying "take my money")I have to agree that the 2jz has had its time. New cars shouldn't have a 2jz out of principle. The 2jz is a wonderful engine, god like for tuners. But its terrible in many other ways. It cant live forever and its time is over. Its a living legend at the end of its reign. Time for others to step up.

As a society right now we keep regurgitating the past all too often. Learning and remembering from history is essential to move forward, but regressing back to the past isn't an answer. Remaking everything, rebooting everything, redesigning everything so that we try to cling onto the old by integrating it into the new shouldn't be our future.

Putting an engine a quarter of a century old into a modern day car isn't forward thinking. Its regressing. Leave that to GM. It might be cool to have a 2jz and v160 in the A90, and part of me is drooling at the idea .... but its still a very bad idea. If the A90's B58 and ZF8 isnt as good, then don't complain about it and run back to the 2jz, you have a simple task - MAKE it as good using new ideas or newer tech.
You both are on point.

I'll be honest, I am a guilty person of wanting to see a "3JZ" from Toyota into the MKV Supra. However, that was before I really understood what the playing field was like nowadays for car makers. It's cut throat....very hard time for all car makers. In the past, emissions were the only major concern when cars were developed. Now, it's even more strict emissions, fuel economy, safety, etc.. Like Jay Leno once said, "nowadays, pedestrians must be able to get back up, brush themselves off, and start laughing after being hit by a car."

We all love the 90's Japanese sports cars because they were built at a time when they didn't have many restrictions....therefore, they were simple in design so people weren't very afraid of them in terms of modifying. Ever notice why the more complex cars of that era have a small--er tuning scene today (3000GT, NSX, etc...) Today, the newer engines are wayyyy more advanced and capable of much more....we just need to be more open-minded and open the doors to possibilities (with the help of the aftermarket of course). The B58 will be a great motor in the MKV Supra, I don't care who says it's not 100% Toyota or whatever.

Btw, I have already started prototyping some cool "things" in SolidWorks for the B58....should make some future MKV owners pretty happy. :D
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of,just saw a video of a guy destroying ATTESA because he was trying to show off launch control
I wouldn't be surprised. A heavy car, with alot of power, AWD, and launch control is a sure fire way to void all kinds of warranties....let alone destroy drivetrain components. :p

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I wouldn't be surprised. A heavy car, with alot of power, AWD, and launch control is a sure fire way to void all kinds of warranties....let alone destroy drivetrain components. :p
Are you still working on the project car?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What parts are French on the GTR? Iā€™ll wait.
That's true, no French parts. However, I think the point is it doesn't matter if a product is managed, built, engineered, etc... by a different brand. The important thing is will the final product deliver.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you still working on the project car?
The 300ZX? No sir, I sold that car for a pretty penny end of 2018. That car appreciated 3.5x what I paid for it. It really was a clean example that I didn't want to hack up. The 2JZ engine sold shortly after. I used the money from both on top of what I was saving for a dream car, to buy a daily STI and soon an R34. I do want a MKV, but only if the special units come out. If not, then either a used 911 or R35. For now, I am tinkering with the STI.

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
The 300ZX? No sir, I sold that car for a pretty penny end of 2018. That car appreciated 3.5x what I paid for it. It really was a clean example that I didn't want to hack up. The 2JZ engine sold shortly after. I used the money from both on top of what I was saving for a dream car, to buy a daily STI and soon an R34. I do want a MKV, but only if the special units come out. If not, then either a used 911 or R35. For now, I am tinkering with the STI.
In that case, I'd hold off, see when they bring the GRMN edition in.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
That's hilarious! I did see this posted on the Supra FB group yesterday. It sucks that they didn't give credit to the artist who made that render. CX did actually swap a 2JZ into a 86 so it only makes sense for them to release a kit for the MKV.

The 2JZ might be an old engine but look how long it took for BMW to finally figure out how to make a "3JZ". ;)

BRZ-2JZ-750-3.jpg

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's hilarious! I did see this posted on the Supra FB group yesterday. It sucks that they didn't give credit to the artists who made that render. CX did actually swap a 2JZ into a 86 so it only makes sense for them to release a kit for the MKV.

The 2JZ might be an old engine but look how long it took for BMW to finally figured out how to make a "3JZ". ;)

BRZ-2JZ-750-3.jpg
That does look beautiful in there.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
That's hilarious! I did see this posted on the Supra FB group yesterday. It sucks that they didn't give credit to the artist who made that render. CX did actually swap a 2JZ into a 86 so it only makes sense for them to release a kit for the MKV.

The 2JZ might be an old engine but look how long it took for BMW to finally figure out how to make a "3JZ". ;)

BRZ-2JZ-750-3.jpg
The old N54 is capable of 1000 whp. So is the S55, S54, M50, etc.
Sponsored