Stud conversion kit…

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
This is the first car I’ve ever used a stud conversion kit on, based off what I read, the studs need to replaced once a year if you track the car. However, if you just daily it and give it the bunion every once in awhile, do they still need replaced that often, or can I leave them on without ever replacing them? Any info, would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The wear on studs are from repeated torquing of the nuts. So if you aren’t taking the wheels off much during a year then they would last longer than someone swapping wheels once or twice a month for track days.

OP
OP
ikingkhaos

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The wear on studs are from repeated torquing of the nuts. So if you aren’t taking the wheels off much during a year then they would last longer than someone swapping wheels once or twice a month for track days.
Sweet, just the response I was looking for. Thank you. Do you still recommend swapping them out in a few years? I hardly drive the car, let alone remove the wheels and tires all time.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Sweet, just the response I was looking for. Thank you. Do you still recommend swapping them out in a few years? I hardly drive the car, let alone remove the wheels and tires all time.
If you rarely drive the car and rarely rotate tires (if even possible), they will basically last you forever. Some of us track guys have the wheels off 1-2 times a month.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
In my opinion, stud kit is more beneficial for track oriented car because those car's wheels will be on and off all the time and will make it easier to so. as for longevity, might want to switch out after few years on both stud kit and lug bolts regardless for street only driven car.

kat sup

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF, 2022 GR86, 2011 EVO X
As a side note if you plan to run spacers you are going to need a stud kit or longer bolts to accommodate the size of spacer you use. Personally, I'd opt for studs if you don't mind spending around $150 for a decent set. You never know when you'll need to remove and replace the tire, and those wheels tires are heavy; PIA to replace with the OEM bolts. If you aren't tracking and on and off with the wheels tires then you are good to go without changing. Just get a good-quality stud replacement kit.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
In principle from an engineering perspective there should never be any need to replace steel bolts or studs unless the threads are worn or they have been over torqued at some point assuming the studs/bolts are adequate for the load to begin with. Steel can be cycled an infinite amount of times without any issues as long as the yield point is not reached. Aluminium and it's alloys are different. Any strain at all no matter how small will lead to eventual failure it's just a matter of the cycles unlike steel. So I have rod bolts that are re useable multiple times as long as they haven't stretched when removed. So I keep a log of the original free length and check them against that when I pull the engine down again. If they are original length then they get re used. So on a track car even with many wheel changes as long as the threads are not worn and the bolts/studs are not over torqued and the bolts/studs are adequate for the loads imposed then they never need to be replaced unless damaged.

Phil

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Why would someone that only drives the car occasionally even consider swapping to stud conversion? It's not like you're swapping wheels every weekend or during events in one weekend.

Just use the stock lug bolts. It's super easy to add spacers and get longer bolts vs getting a conversion kit installed and then later needing longer studs installed for larger spacers, etc.

:dunno:

ope_sry

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium
Personally wouldn’t worry about changing them unless they start losing torque in a short amount of time. I had to re-loctite and tq a few of mine after about 8,000 miles. Another 3,000 and they are still holding tq. I’m talking about stud to hub tq and not lug nut tq btw.

ope_sry

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 premium
Why would someone that only drives the car occasionally even consider swapping to stud conversion? It's not like you're swapping wheels every weekend or during events in one weekend.

Just use the stock lug bolts. It's super easy to add spacers and get longer bolts vs getting a conversion kit installed and then later needing longer studs installed for larger spacers, etc.

I did mainly because I like the look of open lug nuts vs. lug bolts

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Because on the off chance I do need to remove the wheel I won't fight the hub trying to get it back on

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny

78mm studs -> open lugs -> never worry again.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Because on the off chance I do need to remove the wheel I won't fight the hub trying to get it back on
There is a pin you can buy that screws into the lug bolt hole before you place your wheel on the hub. It does wonders.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is a pin you can buy that screws into the lug bolt hole before you place your wheel on the hub. It does wonders.
I have that too, just my goofy ass forgets I have it
Sponsored