• Total voters

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Thats fine, but it’s a stupid article to not at least run them apples to apples.
I know what you mean, but there are so many variables to that whole thing, which apples are we talking about?

Are we talking about someone who is shopping only on price and has a budget of around 40k?
Or are we talking about someone who only wants an auto or manual?

That chart would have to be expanded to
Sport Z MT, Sport Z Auto, Perf Z MT, Perf Z Auto, Supra 2.0, Supra 3.0 MT, Supra 3.0 AT

End of the day, the handling and interior quality aren't getting better by tossing an auto in the Z. Really getting tired of the cop-out of the tires let it down being added to things. They make it sound like there's some massive disparity between the tires that isn't really there.
Sponsored

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I'll wait for 1/4 mile times in the hands of enthusiasts (#drivermod) vs journalists, whom traditionally have never turned respectable numbers when they have to launch and shift themselves.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
I know what you mean, but there are so many variables to that whole thing, which apples are we talking about?

Are we talking about someone who is shopping only on price and has a budget of around 40k?
Or are we talking about someone who only wants an auto or manual?

That chart would have to be expanded to
Sport Z MT, Sport Z Auto, Perf Z MT, Perf Z Auto, Supra 2.0, Supra 3.0 MT, Supra 3.0 AT

End of the day, the handling and interior quality aren't getting better by tossing an auto in the Z. Really getting tired of the cop-out of the tires let it down being added to things. They make it sound like there's some massive disparity between the tires that isn't really there.
I’m speaking from the most simplistic basic aspect of a "comparo" article. If you're going to run times of two RWD inline-6 / V6 turbo sports cars that play in the same category, at least make them both the same transmission. The manual alone relies strictly on the driver's ability. You can run the car 20 times and get 20 different results, while the auto will at least be more consistent.

I agree the 3.0 Supra will decimate this new Z in every quantifiable category, but every reader has the same question at the end of the article...Why did they run the auto vs the manual?

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Why did they run the auto vs the manual?

It's quite simple. The Press car they were loaned for the test was a manual. Having some acquaintances in the industry, they take what they can get, when they can get it. Following that, they'd much rather be first to publish content than be accurate/comprehensive.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
These two statements seem contradictory to me:

”This is the best version in the Z's storied history, but the Toyota GR Supra simply outmatches it.”

“As much as the Z is better than the 370Z it replaces, it's more of a "sporty" car compared to the Supra.”

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Z sucks. Powertrain is a dog Nissan fan boys will eat it up even if it was a Maxima engine

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
These two statements seem contradictory to me:

”This is the best version in the Z's storied history, but the Toyota GR Supra simply outmatches it.”

“As much as the Z is better than the 370Z it replaces, it's more of a "sporty" car compared to the Supra.”
They don't seem contradictory to me, however they do seem grossly overstated and incorrect. However, in an attempt at fairness, I'd bet the reviewers have never even sat in a Z32... which IMO was the last time the Z wasn't at least some form of disappointment. I'm 100% sure they're too young to have driven anything before that (when it was new). Although if they were as old as I am, then you'd have to question their reaction times as being a cause of bad numbers as well. :p

Regardless, in recent history I would agree that the Z has been "sporty" or maybe "sport-ish" but short of a real sports car.

NeedCoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Even though the Supra is the better car, the hate on Supras is unreal 🙄
Spoiler alert. Don’t read the backfires on C/D comparo

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
bUt TiReS 🤗🤗🤗

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acquiring Z or Supra
Okay,

I did search to see if this take on the topic has been covered.

So, I’m new to this forum.

I’m in the Z forum and I’m currently first in line at the biggest dealer in my state.

I had planned on getting a performance trim Z, but now when you add in paint and destination fee the price is the more than a Supra 3.0.

All of the reviews I have seen suggest the Z is a better deal because they compare the sport trim Z versus the 3.0 Supra. The sport trim Z is 41k so that makes the Z look superior.

But the sport Z doesn’t even have LSD and has small brakes.

I think a fair comparison is the performance trim Z to the base level Supra 3.0.

In that case the Z is actually more expensive.

Right now I can get a base Supra 3.0 at msrp from a local dealer, and that’s cheaper than a performance trim Z. 52k.

Sorry for long post.

But do you agree it’s unfair to compare prices of sport Z versus Supra 3.0?

Thoughts? About to jump to Supra.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Welcome to the not-so-dark side.

But also, there are literally dozens of Z threads there. You'll be hard-pressed to find a Z supporter around these parts, though there are a couple,.. (forum search is hard.. no hard feelings).

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
If it's performance per dollar, the 3.0 is the clear winner here.
That being said, get the car you really want.
If that's the Z, then go with that.

Bottom line is: don't spend $50K+ on something you don't actually want.