Cost to own a Supra

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Pro, Toyota MR2 Mk3, Audi A2
Are you looking to keep the car completely stock throughout ownership?
The reason I ask is most owners will spend far more on mods than they ever will on servicing and repairs so it’s all relative.
The last German car I owned was around 10 years ago (a bmw) and I’d say the servicing was probably somewhere in the region of 40% more if comparing dealership prices to Japanese marques. I remember paying around £420 for a major service (bear in mind 10 years ago) whereas something Japanese with similar displacement might have been more in the £280 range.
The big cost I found was wishbone arms when the bushes went. You were forced to buy the whole unit and both sides came to nearly what the car was worth so I let it go then. Had I known someone who could have just installed polybushes it would have been fine but it was a a BMW 320 so the aftermarket support wasn’t there like it would have been for an M3. I cut my losses and went to type R’s until now.
I think the fact there is so much available aftermarket for the new supra makes it more affordable. You may often find aftermarket items at less cost than oem (possibly more so a little further down the line as there’s more and more support)
At present though these cars are not of an age where you should be concerned with increased costs other than servicing and fuel and to be honest, as has already been said, if those levels of costs are a concern I would question if it’s the right time to be looking at one of these just yet.
I sort of did the same thing opting for the supra over the cayman. One of the reasons for my choice was that I wasn’t ready to be paying porsche levels of maintenance costs and aftermarket prices which seem to be a fair step up again.
Your car choice mirrors my own thoughts, I had always wanted a Cayman (but a 6 cylinder NA, not a 4 cylinder turbo). I mentioned this to a friend who knew someone who ran a Boxster and they said that Porsche servicing made BMW servicing seem cheap!
I'm more than happy with my Supra 3.0 Pro, hope you get yours soon as I know how frustrating the long wait is - mine taking 11 months.
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Personally though, I don't know anyone making 700WHP who would care about $50 for an oil filter lol. Hell I'd pay $250 for a filter every time if it guaranteed I'd never grenade my engine at that kind of power level 😂
Especially now that you'll spend more than that in gas every week if it's your daily. :( Paying $120 every 6-8 months for oil and filter is pretty good all things considered (although the next time I expect the shop will have upped it to $150 with the way inflation is going).

I'd say in 35K miles I've only spent about $3K on actual maintenance and a similar amount on registration and insurance for 2 years.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Personally though, I don't know anyone making 700WHP who would care about $50 for an oil filter lol.
Seriously. Any more than that and you're looking at an engine build, which is ~15k assuming your block is still good. This thread is getting ridiculous.

It's a sports car, and if you build it, it's a modified sports car. Shit costs a bunch of money. Hell, I'm only like 40k in on the build there's at least 30k left to go. All the misc shit that's 50 here and 200 there are rounding errors at this point.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
My plan is to get a 2020 launch edition supra with less than 15k miles if possible. It will for sure be a 2020 bc of the lower compression ratio. I'm planning the car for at least 7 years. My goal is to be making 500whp within the first year of me owning it. The end goal is to make 700whp, hopefully the stock block can take it lol

Also I can afford this car and it's not money thats the issue. I just don't want be spending $50 for an oil filter bc it requires a special one.
Are you prepared to stick at least 40k into this car that you will 100% lose money on?

I had a local guy so this same thing. He worked for Toyota, and talked big about going pure 800, built trans, meth, all that. I told him realistic pricing to get him to that point..
Car is currently for sale on the lot at Kenosha Toyota. Stock as can be.

It’s a « cheap » fast 1/4 mile platform. But modding to those numbers will leave you with an unreliable money pit

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Maybe consider getting those Amazon M-sport z4 mirror caps. They're like $80 and are great value to replace the crappy textured black caps that are factory. The caps + $10 fix and virtually no buffeting up to 100.
my car came with the carbon mirrors, I talked the dealer out of charging me for them but Im still not about to swap em out lol.

Well I could swap them on my other car that is, you know, actually cf... I guess. 😅

The wind buffets just havent bothered me enough yet, 'maybe next week' lol. Yeah it's a problem but it's not as bad as the prius or miata (with the top up) was.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
my car came with the carbon mirrors, I talked the dealer out of charging me for them but Im still not about to swap em out lol.

Well I could swap them on my other car that is, you know, actually cf... I guess. 😅

The wind buffets just havent bothered me enough yet, 'maybe next week' lol. Yeah it's a problem but it's not as bad as the prius or miata (with the top up) was.
Amazed the wind buffeting bitching going on. ITs nothing new to sportscars/or cars. Geez.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Yeah but there is an aftermarket fix for this one so I'm gonna try it! Nobody ever complained about those other cars we just rolled the windows up.
Below 50mph I have zero issues. Above that the road noise outside is annoying so windows up no matter. Certainly on the expressway its windows up.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Below 50mph I have zero issues. Above that the road noise outside is annoying so windows up no matter. Certainly on the expressway its windows up.
It does help some even with the windows up... not much of course, but there was a noticeable reduction in "whistling" against the windows at 80+ after adding the fix. Although I found it practically unbearable even at 40mph... so YMMV.

PhantomPurple

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
I have the AWE solution. I was going 140+ with the windows down a few weekends ago. Neither I nor my co-driver noticed any buffeting.

Olser

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium | 2019 VW Golf GTI 6MT
The car has only been out for 2 years, and for most people it's probably a second vehicle (since a 2 door sports car is pretty impractical if it's your only vehicle), so you're not going to find anybody with 100k+ miles who has had to deal with large maintenance issues to really get a good answer to this question.

I'd say most members here have <10k miles on their cars, naturally in that amount of time the only maintenance they'll have to do is oil and maybe tires. I've had mine for a bit over a year, it has 6k miles, I've changed the oil once and...that's it. Not counting the money I've put into mods. Gas mileage isn't terrible, I get around 18-20 mpg and the car spends 99% of its time in manual and sport mode.
I bought my 2022 as Minnesota daily driver and have been averaging a little over 65 miles per day since December... I'll let everybody know when the reliability issues start to crop up, but so far it's been exactly what you'd expect from a modern car. It has hurt a bit paying over $400/month in gas though.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
regular grocery getting drive and going to work here. only mod is the bimmercode. Thinkin about doin the wind buffets mod... maaaaybe the speaker ports... hardly high dollar hot rodding lol
You will be very happy with both!
regular grocery getting drive and going to work here. only mod is the bimmercode. Thinkin about doin the wind buffets mod... maaaaybe the speaker ports... hardly high dollar hot rodding lol
Do it. Baby steps!

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium 2018 Audi A5 SB Prestige
Are you looking to keep the car completely stock throughout ownership?
The reason I ask is most owners will spend far more on mods than they ever will on servicing and repairs so it’s all relative.
The last German car I owned was around 10 years ago (a bmw) and I’d say the servicing was probably somewhere in the region of 40% more if comparing dealership prices to Japanese marques. I remember paying around £420 for a major service (bear in mind 10 years ago) whereas something Japanese with similar displacement might have been more in the £280 range.
The big cost I found was wishbone arms when the bushes went. You were forced to buy the whole unit and both sides came to nearly what the car was worth so I let it go then. Had I known someone who could have just installed polybushes it would have been fine but it was a a BMW 320 so the aftermarket support wasn’t there like it would have been for an M3. I cut my losses and went to type R’s until now.
I think the fact there is so much available aftermarket for the new supra makes it more affordable. You may often find aftermarket items at less cost than oem (possibly more so a little further down the line as there’s more and more support)
At present though these cars are not of an age where you should be concerned with increased costs other than servicing and fuel and to be honest, as has already been said, if those levels of costs are a concern I would question if it’s the right time to be looking at one of these just yet.
I sort of did the same thing opting for the supra over the cayman. One of the reasons for my choice was that I wasn’t ready to be paying porsche levels of maintenance costs and aftermarket prices which seem to be a fair step up again.

I currently own a 2018 Audi A5 Sport back too and even before my 61K fiasco, maintenance cost IMO were much higher that the Acura's I owned and on par with the 2017 Golf R.

To me, Toyota came out with the best of both worlds scenario for me. A sports car backed by the auto manufacture I consider the best in the business for quality and reliability.

I actually considered a Cayman and certified pre-owned 911. The factors of price. maintenance, my experience with the VW Group and there is no deanship in my area kept me away from both. Then there was the C8 corvette, it's Chevy and I've never been a big GM n much less an American car fan save for two Fords I've owned and the Mustang being attractive to me. But the cost factor is real with Vettes. $40k over MSRP lost me totally.

Currently I'm driving the Supra daily and fuel cost are about the same for me as with the Audi. Premium fuel vehicles are all I've driven for the past 24 years...I drive to work and then twice a week to teach at night. a tank of gas last me about a week, maybe a little more.
Sponsored