Cost to own a Supra

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y
These are rookie numbers, you gotta pump those numbers up.
We shall see if this thing turns into a full blown racecar, but then I'll need another daily...

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
How much i've put into my car is just enough to barely afford @Mimosa 's wheels.. i could barely afford @zrk 's verus engineering parts.. it would take me another 10 years to reach a quarter of their budget into their cars. 🙃

edit just for @zrk
Broke bros rise up!

Some of the people here getting full car PPF's on day 1 and I'm going with installing my own ceramic coating to save a few bucks.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Broke bros rise up!

Some of the people here getting full car PPF's on day 1 and I'm going with installing my own ceramic coating to save a few bucks.
Lol i did that... but then again, i'm a mechanic/ detailer/ auto body tech for a living lol

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
regular grocery getting drive and going to work here. only mod is the bimmercode. Thinkin about doin the wind buffets mod... maaaaybe the speaker ports... hardly high dollar hot rodding lol

OP
OP

Low&Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe 14 2.0T
Everyone here has raised valid points, but could you clarify what you’re looking at purchasing (age/mileage) and how long you’ll keep it? Getting one with lots of warranty left with a plan to own for 2-3 years would be different than going with a higher mileage (that being about 30k right now) option and keeping it for ten years.
My plan is to get a 2020 launch edition supra with less than 15k miles if possible. It will for sure be a 2020 bc of the lower compression ratio. I'm planning the car for at least 7 years. My goal is to be making 500whp within the first year of me owning it. The end goal is to make 700whp, hopefully the stock block can take it lol

Also I can afford this car and it's not money thats the issue. I just don't want be spending $50 for an oil filter bc it requires a special one.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Looking at getting A Supra but I got some concerns. Mostly about the cost of parts and maintenance. I've been raised to stay away from German cars bc the parts are so much more expensive and repairs are a b*tch. Are they really? Are the parts so much more expensive? Is repairing/replacing a simple thing, more difficult than it should be? EX. having to remove the whole front end to replace the alternator.
It's a Bimmer. Yes expensive outside warranty.

Sports cars are suppose to be useless and expensive to own, so it's fine.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
My plan is to get a 2020 launch edition supra with less than 15k miles if possible. It will for sure be a 2020 bc of the lower compression ratio. I'm planning the car for at least 7 years. My goal is to be making 500whp within the first year of me owning it. The end goal is to make 700whp, hopefully the stock block can take it lol

Also I can afford this car and it's not money thats the issue. I just don't want be spending $50 for an oil filter bc it requires a special one.
Alright, well, 2020s went on sale the summer of 2019, so most will be running up on their basic warranty within the next year depending on when it was sold. Sounds like you’re tuning/modding, so powertrain warranty is out the window.

OE oil filters are $12.99.

This is one of BMW’s most reliable engines (assuming you take care of it). There are not really any major known issues to look out for on the Supras except for oil consumption on 2021s (and 2022s?).

At 500+ hp, you could be looking at replacement axles if you’re launching on prepped surfaces. At your 700+ hp goal, you’re definitely looking at a transmission upgrade and cooling (intake manifold, etc.).

Circling back, routine maintenance is nothing out of the ordinary for a modern European car. However, you may want to consider the cost of supporting mods for your goals.

Furthermore, consider how you plan on addressing service outside of the warranty period. I’ve hear BMW dealers don’t want to touch the car, and do you want the “Supra crash course” tech at Toyota handling any out of warranty repairs? Are you mechanically inclined or have an independent euro/BMW specialty shop nearby?

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
regular grocery getting drive and going to work here. only mod is the bimmercode. Thinkin about doin the wind buffets mod... maaaaybe the speaker ports... hardly high dollar hot rodding lol
That was the first thing I did (the wind buffeting) I bought the $10 piece from Amazon and it worked perfectly. Since then, I've installed a duckbill spoiler and may get some springs soon.

I'm in the process of closing on a house in 2 weeks, so the money has been tied up into that for a while. Especially with the price of materials to remodel a house. I'm going to be broke for a while. So unfortunately the Supra mod money is used for replacing carpets and furnishing the house. Being an adult sucks.

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
That was the first thing I did (the wind buffeting) I bought the $10 piece from Amazon and it worked perfectly. Since then, I've installed a duckbill spoiler and may get some springs soon.

I'm in the process of closing on a house in 2 weeks, so the money has been tied up into that for a while. Especially with the price of materials to remodel a house. I'm going to be broke for a while. So unfortunately the Supra mod money is used for replacing carpets and furnishing the house. Being an adult sucks.
Maybe consider getting those Amazon M-sport z4 mirror caps. They're like $80 and are great value to replace the crappy textured black caps that are factory. The caps + $10 fix and virtually no buffeting up to 100.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA

If money isn't the issue, why care about $50 for an oil filter? How old are you? You sound like your under 20.......

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y

Wasn't this thread about cost of ownership of a Supra? As in, parts and maintenance? If money isn't an issue then just send it lmao. I paid in full for my '21 brand new, sight unseen-- car has been flawless. No regrets.

Personally though, I don't know anyone making 700WHP who would care about $50 for an oil filter lol. Hell I'd pay $250 for a filter every time if it guaranteed I'd never grenade my engine at that kind of power level 😂
Sponsored