Crash Supras on Public Roads

TheSuds

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra Launch Edition
The sentiment that someone doesn't know how to drive because you're seeing them at the worst moment is so... Lame imo. Who here hasn't had a hiccup behind the wheel during the heat of the moment? This could happen to anyone.
Sponsored

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
The sentiment that someone doesn't know how to drive because you're seeing them at the worst moment is so... Lame imo. Who here hasn't had a hiccup behind the wheel during the heat of the moment? This could happen to anyone.
Eh... hiccup is much different than hitting wot on a bend/curve road while steering isn't straight to show off to the crowd totalling.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Fair enough. BUT. We've all done dumb stuff too šŸ˜… it just turns out better for some of us.
I have done more than plenty of stupid things in a car as a kid. Still wonder how I am alive and have a clean record. Got way too lucky too many times. I don't test my luck these days unless it's on a track. And even then, I'm testing my luck.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Agreed Iā€™ve gotten away luckily with much stupider stunts. just got to learn from them. Feel for the driver this sucks to loose your pride and joy like that.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
No doubt! And why you donā€™t let your kids or yourself buy more than you can handle for a car. Hell, Iā€™ll say it again lol, this car even comes with a free track day šŸ˜³ I feel awful for the guy. Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t intentional. Butā€¦. he coulda killed someone. People have got to learn - parents or drivers.

Back in high school a good buddy had a brand new 5.0 Mustang (that his parents bought him). He had the car and I knew some cute chicks. I should have known getting in the car with him driving, it wasnā€™t going to be good. He was on cloud nine = show off time. We hit a wall going into a curve way too fast. Luckily it was just a wall and we all were fine. The wall wasnā€™t and his parents didnā€™t buy him another one. So I definitely get it. Iā€™d like to think no one on here was given keys to a car they have no clue how to drive. But obviously (as in video) this isnā€™t the case.

Great post @Andrew4Supra & good reminder of what could happen. TC on or off. Hell even the lane assist turned on is a disaster imo - I hate that thing! Hope heā€™s okay and everyone involved.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Driving is more than knowing how to operate a steering wheel.

Itā€™s knowing when to turn off traction control, and when to punch it, and knowing that no matter who youā€™re with or whoā€™s watching you donā€™t do fucking stupid shit.

This person did none of those things -> they canā€™t drive. Can they use their brain-dead moment to learn how to drive? Maybe. But this was 1000% w/o question some kid being fucking stupid and not being able to drive.

There no argument here. If the kid was a good driver, he never would have put innocent people in a position to t-bone him on a major freeway. Thatā€™s it. End of discussion. Nothing left to talk about.

Defend him all you want, drive like this and get yourself killed, I donā€™t give a fuck. This but this not behavior of a good driver.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The number of people in this thread who feel bad for the Supra driver and the car is mind-boggling to me.

There are like ten comments 'I feel bad for driver,' and 'Supra can be replaced,' and 'Man sucks for him,' and... one? Maybe two? Comments on the fucking family SUV that had an unavoidable head-on collision they had no control of.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Hmm. That looks like 133 Toll and I5 merger in Irvine?

Read through the comments and Iā€™m not going to preach on a high horse. I have radar detectors and speed, I also do drive the Supra in ā€œtraction modeā€ (the TTRS in Dynamic, the hatch in Sports mode) a lot- BUT only when conditions warrant it.

But I also donā€™t have any empathy for the driver in the vid. He should have known the limits of his car before he tried to look cool for the boys and mashed the throttle, and more importantly he should not have done it on a public road.

Like many others have said, the e-diff in this thing is not predictable at all (Iā€™m still on the stock PSS), and when the back end goes you need to immediately correct and get yaw under control. I do not trust it fully, and so I donā€™t go sideways or mash the throttle on public roads.

On a stormy day like today in So Cal, I donā€™t take the Supra out. Wonā€™t risk it.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
On a stormy day like today in So Cal, I donā€™t take the Supra out. Wonā€™t risk it.
I don't even bother driving the car on rainy days. Stock PSS tires + 45 degree rain + 500 lb-ft torque in a short wheelbase RWD car....? May as well take the practical car, because you aren't going anywhere fast.

It can already get a little hairy in in dry conditions, so I just don't risk it.

Cars are just getting so damn torquey, people need to respect it or leave on TC.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Driver misjudgment, for sure.

But talking about the car, Iā€™m convinced this could happen with TC in Traction mode or completely on depending on how modified. I know one of the (circuit) track people on this forum has posted a video of this (on track).

Just donā€™t want people to think the Supraā€™s TC protects you from everything.

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 3.0 MT, '23 BRZ, '06 RX-8
The number of people in this thread who feel bad for the Supra driver and the car is mind-boggling to me.

There are like ten comments 'I feel bad for driver,' and 'Supra can be replaced,' and 'Man sucks for him,' and... one? Maybe two? Comments on the fucking family SUV that had an unavoidable head-on collision they had no control of.
Here's a banner for the forum to remind you numb-nuts to think twice before turning off the nannies or you might end up in the grave like your nannies (RIP). #SaveTheFuckingFamiliesInSUVs

Screenshot 2024-02-06 161320.png
Sponsored