Custom Touchscreen LCD Gauge: Comprehensive CAN Network Access for Enhanced Vehicle Monitoring

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Theres a few competitors to this venture, shown here for comparison:

P3 V3 OBD2 - $399
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 12.29.14 PM.png

Notes:
- Simple clean install
- Easy to understand
- Only one reading displayed at a time
- Manually controllable dim/bright (and dim is not dim)
- Unintuitive UI.

Banks iDash + Aeroforce Single Gauge Pod - $414
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 12.33.05 PM.png

Notes:
- Up to 7 readings displayed at a time
- Multiple can be daisy-chained for extra display's
- Easy to use UI
- Auto-brightness with adjustable dim levels

VADPro VAD32 - $659
VAD-VP37024_4.jpg

Notes:
- This appears to be a generic Chinese produced item, sold by multiple vendors at a similar price.
- Reports of quality and reliability are varied, but general consensus isnt great

Its possible I missed something else, and I am only bringing this up so you are aware of your existing competition so you can either improve on what they are doing, or find your own niche for your product.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Less than $300 USD. https://bankspower.com/products/banks-idash-supergauge-datamonster

Not as polished compared to this render, but has the ability to show 8 metrics at once and can be daisy chained.
These gauges are limited to OBD2 data.. if you are looking for more comprehensive data metrics, power train data, driver input data, you need something that can access PT-CAN and D-CAN.

Any data device that does not splice into BOTH can modules in the passenger footwell, will be limited in what data it can display.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Theres a few competitors to this venture, shown here for comparison:

P3 V3 OBD2 - $399
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 12.29.14 PM.png

Notes:
- Simple clean install
- Easy to understand
- Only one reading displayed at a time
- Manually controllable dim/bright (and dim is not dim)
- Unintuitive UI.

Banks iDash + Aeroforce Single Gauge Pod - $414
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 12.33.05 PM.png

Notes:
- Up to 7 readings displayed at a time
- Multiple can be daisy-chained for extra display's
- Easy to use UI
- Auto-brightness with adjustable dim levels

VADPro VAD32 - $659
VAD-VP37024_4.jpg

Notes:
- This appears to be a generic Chinese produced item, sold by multiple vendors at a similar price.
- Reports of quality and reliability are varied, but general consensus isnt great

Its possible I missed something else, and I am only bringing this up so you are aware of your existing competition so you can either improve on what they are doing, or find your own niche for your product.
just saw the VADPro VAD32. Honestly I had no idea this type of design exists.

this one looks like it might actually not be OBD2. Thanks for the heads up, but had no idea anyone had thought of the screen bezzel idea lol.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Less than $300 USD. https://bankspower.com/products/banks-idash-supergauge-datamonster

Not as polished compared to this render, but has the ability to show 8 metrics at once and can be daisy chained.
That only shows generic obd2 data that any obd2 adapter and your phone could show.

OP is creating something that will show BMW specific data like what ecutek and bm3 can show/log

The CAN-CHECK product can do this as well but quality is a bit crap and support is bad.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
just saw the VADPro VAD32. Honestly I had no idea this type of design exists.

this one looks like it might actually not be OBD2. Thanks for the heads up, but had no idea anyone had thought of the screen bezzel idea lol.
It taps into CAN but the PID list is very short and it doesn’t show/log bmw enhanced items.

Quality is pretty crap too

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
It taps into CAN but the PID list is very short and it doesn’t show/log bmw enhanced items.

I like how the rectangular screen looks, makes my round gauge look like a toy :( but I did have an idea to add a rectangular vertical screen to the right side of the idrive screen at a slight angle facing the driver.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lmaooo “you think you’ve crossed every t and dotted every i until the internet proves you wrong. Had no idea these existed, I did so much work in reverse engineering the back bezzel Lmaoo.

my screen is a different size or else I would literally use this.
Too late to change it? 60mm is a solid size

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

What are some BMW specific items I may want to monitor that arent available via OBD2? To be clear here, not being a dick, just genuinely dont know.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Too late to change it? 60mm is a solid size
that would require me redesign the whole hardware, my product design is basically fully based on the screen I am using, if I change the screen I have to change everything, also it’s ok I have already REd the back bezzel and that’s actually good because I can make different designs in the future.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
What are some BMW specific items I may want to monitor that arent available via OBD2? To be clear here, not being a dick, just genuinely dont know.
mostly powertrain data used by the ECU itself for managements which is very fast and highly accurate, but also driver input things like Brake Position %, Throttle Position (RAW) and other things a lot of track guys need.. Enhanced PIDs also include a lot of the same things OBD2 includes, but with more granular data and speed.

Also my module is designed with 2 CAN controllers, which means you can tap into BOTH D-CAN and PT-CAN AT THE SAME TIME, which most gauges or data loggers don't offer, you either tap into D-CAN or PT-CAN. With mine you get 2 sets of CAN High and CAN Low wires you can use to tap into both modules.

1703098795417.png

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I also forgot to mention direct CAN connection is MUCH faster so you get a much higher logging rate.

Anyway... here are some examples of non-generic OBD2 items:

Direct CAN specific items (Unavailable via generic OBD2):
Steering angle
Gear Temp
Wheel Speed
Wheel Speed - Left Rear
Wheel Speed - Right Rear
Wheel Speed - Left Front
Wheel Speed - Right Front
Brake Pedal %
Brake Pressure - Front
Brake Pressure - Rear
ABS
Vehicle Acceleration - Inline
Vehicle Acceleration - Lateral
Vehicle Yaw Rate

BMW specific enhanced items (Unavailable via generic OBD2):
Ignition timing per cylinder
Knock retard per cylinder
Knock detected
Oil temp in sump
Oil level
Oil Pressure
HPFP pressure actual
HPFP pressure target
Vanos intake/exhaust actual
Torque at clutch
Torque at clutch target
Load actual
Load target
Torque limit flag
Fill limit flag

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
These gauges are limited to OBD2 data.. if you are looking for more comprehensive data metrics, power train data, driver input data, you need something that can access PT-CAN and D-CAN.

Any data device that does not splice into BOTH can modules in the passenger footwell, will be limited in what data it can display.
He makes a good point, however. The Banks gauges are excellent because you can show up to 8 simultaneous values in a standard 52mm gauge form factor. Banks does this even after giving up nearly 50% of the display surface area to tactile buttons. I have two Banks gauges myself, and I like them a lot, but you've highlighted my pain point: no BMW-specific PIDs. Banks under-delivers on data, but sets the bar for a compact and functional interface.

I would dump Banks gauges in a heartbeat if you could deliver an analogously functional and adjustable Ux with the addition of BMW-specific data like knock, trans tempt, ethanol%, etc. I would probably pay any price you chose.
Sponsored