Daily driver, reliable power upgrades, help?

d2jlking

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Hello all. I am wondering what recommendations you would give someone who wants to increase power, while using their new Supra as a daily driver. I don't have a hp number goal, I just want to have more power (or assume that is what I want). I haven't even taken delivery yet. Anyway, I will be commuting in this Supra, taking the wife for drives on the weekend. I just want the care to feel powerful and still be able to rely on it.
Sponsored

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Hello all. I am wondering what recommendations you would give someone who wants to increase power, while using their new Supra as a daily driver. I don't have a hp number goal, I just want to have more power (or assume that is what I want). I haven't even taken delivery yet. Anyway, I will be commuting in this Supra, taking the wife for drives on the weekend. I just want the care to feel powerful and still be able to rely on it.
Catted downpipe, ecutek/mhd/bm3, should get ~420whp. Add flexfuel with e50 and youll get close to 500. Your ECU will require it to be cloned in Russia however, but having an unlocked ECU is worth the cost over using a JB4.

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I recommend you drive your car and enjoy it first and learn your car while stock. People on here are so fast in just throwing parts at it. The car is more than capable out of the box.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
The ecu comment is only if you buy a new one or late production 2021 and forward.
mad suggested though, downpipe, tune, intake and charge piping

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I recommend you drive your car and enjoy it first and learn your car while stock. People on here are so fast in just throwing parts at it. The car is more than capable out of the box.
This ^.

If you really get jonesing for more power after you've gotten used to it, catted downpipe + JB+ (or JB4). JB4 + Meth is good for around 500whp.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
I had mine for 3 weeks and not even 500 miles before it went straight to Visconti for tuning and flex fuel. Many people including myself have zero desire to drive a stock car that is just like every other car off the dealership floor.

This ^.

If you really get jonesing for more power after you've gotten used to it, catted downpipe + JB+ (or JB4). JB4 + Meth is good for around 500whp.
Personally wouldnt even consider a JB4 as an option. Our engines are worth more then $600 bucks and tricking the ECU into doing things it doesnt want to do is not how you make it reliable. If you cant afford the current flash process for the newer ECUs wait for something else to change/save for it or leave it stock.

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
I had mine for 3 weeks and not even 500 miles before it went straight to Visconti for tuning and flex fuel. Many people including myself have zero desire to drive a stock car that is just like every other car off the dealership floor.

Personally wouldnt even consider a JB4 as an option. Our engines are worth more then $600 bucks and tricking the ECU into doing things it doesnt want to do is not how you make it reliable. If you cant afford the current flash process for the newer ECUs wait for something else to change/save for it or leave it stock.
it seems like you're implying that the jb4 is not as reliable as a standalone tune, is there any evidence or data confirming or denying this ?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Kids like this are exactly the reason the salvage thread is 70 pages long. lol.

Personally wouldnt even consider a JB4 as an option.
JB4 is more than capable. The only folks that should stay away from a JB4 don't understand what it's doing or how to read logs. Modern engines are not some mystery box doing gods work or whatever.

JB4 is absolutely safe - it's just a tool, and saying anything else is FUD.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Kids like this are exactly the reason the salvage thread is 70 pages long. lol.

JB4 is more than capable. The only folks that should stay away from a JB4 don't understand what it's doing or how to read logs. Modern engines are not some mystery box doing gods work or whatever.

JB4 is absolutely safe - it's just a tool, and saying anything else is FUD.

People are wrecking cars because they are turning off TC on the street. I've been racing for 10 years, not interested in stock. I've also been tuning motorcycles for just as long, where piggy backs like power commanders are popular.

Piggy backing modern ECUs is the cheap way and its tricking the ECU into doing something it doesnt think its doing. They are closed loop systems where all parameters effect others. Its a needless risk for no gain and just because you can doesnt mean you should. No tuner is going to recommend a piggy back over a dedicated solution. Cheap, Fast, Quality. You only ever get to pick two.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
People are wrecking cars because they are turning off TC on the street. I've been racing for 10 years, not interested in stock. I've also been tuning motorcycles for just as long, where piggy backs like power commanders are popular.

Piggy backing modern ECUs is the cheap way and its tricking the ECU into doing something it doesnt think its doing. They are closed loop systems where all parameters effect others. Its a needless risk for no gain and just because you can doesnt mean you should. No tuner is going to recommend a piggy back over a dedicated solution. Cheap, Fast, Quality. You only ever get to pick two.
Somtimes it has nothing to do with price, it has to do with availability. Iā€™m sure youā€™re much more experienced than I am, with 10 years under your belt, but based on what Iā€™ve seen over the little time Iā€™ve been doing this, sometimes you do what you have to to make things work. There is nothing ā€˜unreliableā€™ about controlling the WG and manipulating the pressure the system is seeing. As long as you understand what youā€™re doing itā€™s fine.

Hell, it wasnā€™t that long ago when a RRFPR was _the_ way to manipulate fuel pressure on boosted cars- especially those that didnā€™t come from the factory with a turbo.

Ya just make due. Locked Bosch ECUs are a real hurdle, believe it or not. There are a few folks that did the whole dance to Russia, itā€™s not a majority of owners, itā€™s a very small fraction.

Itā€™s hard, there are hiccups, it takes a while, gen2 B58 ECUs are hard to come by these days, etc.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Welcome to the community. JB4 + catted downpipe is a good plan, like zrk said. It's certainly a good starting point. A set of stickier tires might not hurt. That said, the car is damn quick in showroom stock trim.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
it seems like you're implying that the jb4 is not as reliable as a standalone tune, is there any evidence or data confirming or denying this ?
Thats like hardware engineering 101. If it doesnā€™t do what you want you redesign it, you donā€™t push it out of its limits by tricking it. How many JB4s were shipped that just straight didnā€™t work out of the box? Users went through multiple units before one worked and the response was ā€œoh some times itā€™s a bad unitā€. So if you are willing to plug in a device that has not been properly tested into you 20k engine go for it. That kind of hardware will never touch my engines.

Somtimes it has nothing to do with price, it has to do with availability. Iā€™m sure youā€™re much more experienced than I am, with 10 years under your belt, but based on what Iā€™ve seen over the little time Iā€™ve been doing this, sometimes you do what you have to to make things work. There is nothing ā€˜unreliableā€™ about controlling the WG and manipulating the pressure the system is seeing. As long as you understand what youā€™re doing itā€™s fine.

Hell, it wasnā€™t that long ago when a RRFPR was _the_ way to manipulate fuel pressure on boosted cars- especially those that didnā€™t come from the factory with a turbo.

Ya just make due. Locked Bosch ECUs are a real hurdle, believe it or not. There are a few folks that did the whole dance to Russia, itā€™s not a majority of owners, itā€™s a very small fraction.

Itā€™s hard, there are hiccups, it takes a while, gen2 B58 ECUs are hard to come by these days, etc.
Sometimes patiences is worth it. Yeah the Russian dance isnā€™t great but thatā€™s why I instantly got it tuned. Iā€™m not willing to run a piggy back so sent it out. Itā€™s not my daily so itā€™s not a problem. Personally I would just wait and have a stock car until a proper flashing solution came about then running a piggy back.
Sponsored