Dealer Bricked My ECU

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
Bought a 2020 launch edition with the agreement that the car would have this newest brake/software recall finished along with some other items. This was last Thursday... checked in today and found out they bricked the ecu trying to do the recall.

I can still walk away from the contract. Can anyone weigh in on whether they think this will open a can of worms when I try to tune it if they can fix it or if it's even worth keeping the underpowered 2020 with a 2021 ecu that can't be tuned?
Sponsored

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Bought a 2020 launch edition with the agreement that the car would have this newest brake/software recall finished along with some other items. This was last Thursday... checked in today and found out they bricked the ecu trying to do the recall.

I can still walk away from the contract. Can anyone weigh in on whether they think this will open a can of worms when I try to tune it if they can fix it or if it's even worth keeping the underpowered 2020 with a 2021 ecu that can't be tuned?
If your goal was to tune the car, now that ECU has been bricked, you will more than likely get one of the new Bosch ECU's that are hardware locked, which is the same problem that is plaguing the 2021 owners right now, so, I would probably look into getting out of the contract and possibly finding another 2020 if you had your heart dead set on the Supra. I feel for you, I would be so pissed! I'm one of the very few lucky 2021 owners who's ECU is able to be tuned and now that I've experienced this car with the tune, I don't think I could own it without.

OP
OP
Nojz

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
That’s the 5th report I’ve heard of a bricked ECU. All 2020s.
Waiting for the conspiracy theorists to say it's BMW/Toyota locking them on purpose. Having the 2021 engine with a locked ECU I can live with....a locked 2020... noootttt soo much.... decisions decisions

Attachments

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Waiting for the conspiracy theorists to say it's BMW/Toyota locking them on purpose. Having the 2021 engine with a locked ECU I can live with....a locked 2020... noootttt soo much.... decisions decisions
:wave: OK, I'm here. It's BMW/Toyota locking them on purpose. LOL.

Makes even more sense given the current EPA guidelines and parts/inventory shortages. If they can eliminate all tuning and force anyone that wants more power out of their car to purchase a new one... it's win-win.

Honestly, although I doubt the theory is true, I think it's more a problem in the case of Toyota. Half of the dealerships have problems with simple maintenance - on 100% stock Supras. Have a tune? Now updates, trade-ins, and even oil-changes are another potential black eye.

When it comes to sales markups... they act like it's a limited production hypercar. When it comes to service - they treat it like a Corolla. I'm stock till warranty runs out, but the entire reason I'm fine with the lower power is because I plan to retire it from daily driver duty eventually and then tune it to be a weekend monster. If I lose that potential, then it's much less attractive as a longer-term vehicle.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
This day and age has proved Conspiracy theorists are just people you haven't apologized to yet for being wrong.

That being said, I don't think this is some mass conspiracy, just gross incompetence. Which is why me tunable 2021 won't be going in for this anytime soon. Honestly I kind of hope one of these third party bummer code vendors gets this update and I can just have them do it.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I'd walk-- quickly.

joint venture between toyo and BMW has some pains... those tricky German engineers are a little more challenging for Toyota then i bet they figured.

ditto as a tuned 2021 i doubt my car will see a dealer ever...

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
okay define bricked... like they actually damaged the ecu? if so they will replace it with another 2020 ECU which even after the software update is funny tunable, you just need a bench flash, $150-300 depending where you go and can be done remotely. the only ecu's that got the 2021 lock, were 2021's that were pre 6/20 which were the lucky cars with the tunable ecu's, those cars get the perma lock that later 21 cars did, which anyway is now kinda cracked. you will not be getting a 2021 6 port ecu on your 2020. All 2020's are still tunable, worst case, and your case since update was performed is requiring a bench flash, negotiate the dealer a couple hundred bucks and you are good.

OP
OP
Nojz

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
okay define bricked... like they actually damaged the ecu? if so they will replace it with another 2020 ECU which even after the software update is funny tunable, you just need a bench flash, $150-300 depending where you go and can be done remotely. the only ecu's that got the 2021 lock, were 2021's that were pre 6/20 which were the lucky cars with the tunable ecu's, those cars get the perma lock that later 21 cars did, which anyway is now kinda cracked. you will not be getting a 2021 6 port ecu on your 2020. All 2020's are still tunable, worst case, and your case since update was performed is requiring a bench flash, negotiate the dealer a couple hundred bucks and you are good.
Bricked as in they can't communicate with the ecu. They didn't tell me if they loss power/connection during the reflash for the update or if the reflash itself caused it to be bricked. I will likely wait to see what the plan moving forward is. Definitely didn't sign up for a locked 2020 ecu.

I suppose it's uncharted waters for a newer 2020 model ecu. I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs if all 2020 models have tunable ecus or if they do find a way to fully lock it.

Booztin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
i have A 21 with a 2/20 date

so you are saying if I do this recall / update for full screen Apple car play my ecu will be completely locked ? And will not be able to be bench unlocked anymore ? And I will no longer be able to get tuned ?

im reading such mixed information and starting to question this all. Some people are saying as long as your pre dated you will be able to be bench unlocked no matter what some are saying no you will be completely locked …

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i have A 21 with a 2/20 date

so you are saying if I do this recall / update for full screen Apple car play my ecu will be completely locked ? And will not be able to be bench unlocked anymore ? And I will no longer be able to get tuned ?

im reading such mixed information and starting to question this all. Some people are saying as long as your pre dated you will be able to be bench unlocked no matter what some are saying no you will be completely locked …

If they don't fry/hurt it with an improper procedure it will still be bench unlockable

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra

Underpowered? That's an insult to all stock 2020 owners! (Not that mine is stock!)

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Underpowered? That's an insult to all 2020 owners!
yeah, a stock 2020 is 335hp which is underpowered compared to lots of other sports cars and certainly a tuned version.
Sponsored