Dealer Bricked My ECU

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
so still a small chance they can screw something up and have to assumingly replace my entire ecu ?

The fix has only been out a couple weeks and I would say only a small percentage of owners have gone through the procedure. Not enough real info to determine the risks

Toyota is not impressing anyone with their ability to handle BMW software
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Underpowered? That's an insult to all stock 2020 owners! (Not that mine is stock!)
Not really... I'm a stock MY20 owner and I'd call it underpowered. Not slow however... that's a different matter. Just because it's got plenty of torque down low to cover it up doesn't mean you don't ever feel it's a bit "wheezy" at the top of the gear.

Or really any BMW aspect... they're definitely not great on the hardware side either IMO. ;)

Booztin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
The fix has only been out a couple weeks and I would say only a small percentage of owners have gone through the procedure. Not enough real info to determine the risks

Iā€™m suppose to get tuned in a few weeks figured Iā€™d get this done first but now Iā€™m rethinking if itā€™s worth the riskā€¦

OP
OP
Nojz

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
i have A 21 with a 2/20 date

so you are saying if I do this recall / update for full screen Apple car play my ecu will be completely locked ? And will not be able to be bench unlocked anymore ? And I will no longer be able to get tuned ?

im reading such mixed information and starting to question this all. Some people are saying as long as your pre dated you will be able to be bench unlocked no matter what some are saying no you will be completely locked ā€¦
[/Detroit?

That's the same thing I'm trying to figure out. It's a new grey area... supposedly there are some people on here that have successfully done the full recall with no issue.

Batlwagn

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
At the dealership now getting the recall done. Will update on whether or not they torpedo my car. I have a locked 21 with JB4 fwiw

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I strangely see things the other way around. ?
Free-ish country. I'd still fight to ensure your right to a differing opinion no matter how "wrong" it might be.

Back to supra talk: OP I'd walk away. Let them deal with that shit. Go find another car.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Bricked as in they can't communicate with the ecu. They didn't tell me if they loss power/connection during the reflash for the update or if the reflash itself caused it to be bricked. I will likely wait to see what the plan moving forward is. Definitely didn't sign up for a locked 2020 ecu.

I suppose it's uncharted waters for a newer 2020 model ecu. I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs if all 2020 models have tunable ecus or if they do find a way to fully lock it.
They likely drained the battery in the car, got a low voltage error and started loosing data. No different from trying to update firmware of a motherboard in a laptop. These updates should NOT be done without the car on a tender. If you're dealer is attempting this without putting your car on a batter tender stop them immediately.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
OP, I'd walk away while you still have the chance if I were you. There are other 2020s out there and will be more as people sell into the fall/winter months.

OP
OP
Nojz

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
At the dealership now getting the recall done. Will update on whether or not they torpedo my car. I have a locked 21 with JB4 fwiw
Keep us posted. Good Luck!

OP, I'd walk away while you still have the chance if I were you. There are other 2020s out there and will be more as people sell into the fall/winter months.
Yeah if it wasn't a Launch Edition I would have 100% walked away already.... If I wanted something locked I would have waited for a Refraction A91 edition. I'm 60-40 on walking away before hearing them out tomorrow.

WSUPRA

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition

Batlwagn

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Update: all went well as far as I can't tell. Drive the car home without incident. Lost all my bimmercode settings but that's about it

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
i have A 21 with a 2/20 date

so you are saying if I do this recall / update for full screen Apple car play my ecu will be completely locked ? And will not be able to be bench unlocked anymore ? And I will no longer be able to get tuned ?

im reading such mixed information and starting to question this all. Some people are saying as long as your pre dated you will be able to be bench unlocked no matter what some are saying no you will be completely locked ā€¦
You WILL be LOCKED out, if you are a 2020, that is the only way to get the recall and still be able to bench flash, all 2021's regardless of ecu date with be locked the same as 6/20+ cars after the recall, if you want to tune ever DO NOT get the recall until they come out with a real unlock for the 2021

Booztin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
You WILL be LOCKED out, if you are a 2020, that is the only way to get the recall and still be able to bench flash, all 2021's regardless of ecu date with be locked the same as 6/20+ cars after the recall, if you want to tune ever DO NOT get the recall until they come out with a real unlock for the 2021
Iā€™m not trying to argue however why is visconti tuning and bimmer-code telling me otherwise ?
Sponsored