Dealer Bricked My ECU

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I’m not trying to argue however why is visconti tuning and bimmer-code telling me otherwise ?
Bimmercode and Visconti (Visconti is a supplier of flash tunes, obvs) are completely disparate things and are completely unrelated to each other.

Bimmercode will continue to work 100%, no question there.

The difference is with an ECU flash. If you have a previously unlocked ECU, your ECU will now require a bench unlock to side-step the bootloader code. There's a fee for this. If you previously had a locked < 06/2020 ECU, nothing changes. You still need a bench unlock. If you have a > 06/2020 ECU nothing changes we're still boned.

In all cases, you'll have to reflash your ECU, as your tune will be gone.
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
You WILL be LOCKED out, if you are a 2020, that is the only way to get the recall and still be able to bench flash, all 2021's regardless of ecu date with be locked the same as 6/20+ cars after the recall, if you want to tune ever DO NOT get the recall until they come out with a real unlock for the 2021
Where did you get this information?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Booztin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Bimmercode and Visconti (Visconti is a supplier of flash tunes, obvs) are completely disparate things and are completely unrelated to each other.

Bimmercode will continue to work 100%, no question there.

The difference is with an ECU flash. If you have a previously unlocked ECU, your ECU will now require a bench unlock to side-step the bootloader code. There's a fee for this. If you previously had a locked < 06/2020 ECU, nothing changes. You still need a bench unlock. If you have a > 06/2020 ECU nothing changes we're still boned.

In all cases, you'll have to reflash your ECU, as your tune will be gone.
Understand I’m happy to pay the bench unlock fee etc. i just Wanted the updated before going to get my tune with ecu tech. However if it’s going to lock me out from doing that I’ll cancel my apt with Toyota and just pay @BIMMER-REMOTE for his service.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Understand I’m happy to pay the bench unlock fee etc. i just Wanted the updated before going to get my tune with ecu tech. However if it’s going to lock me out from doing that I’ll cancel my apt with Toyota and just pay @BIMMER-REMOTE for his service.
What's your ECU date?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Yes he did, if you are a tuned 21 stay away, if you are a 2020, put away an extra couple hundred bucks and you will be fine
I'm still not clear. His post says you CAN unlock again, but does not clarify if that applies to pre 6/20 2021 cars.

So stupid proof this for me... I have a tunable 2021 that is not yet tuned, but I intend to tune at some point. Will this update negate my ability to bench unlock?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Yes he did, if you are a tuned 21 stay away, if you are a 2020, put away an extra couple hundred bucks and you will be fine
What? No

If you can be tuned before the update, you can be tuned after the update, it will just require a new bench unlock. 2020 vs 2021 makes no difference, Visconti's post on the subject makes no mention of 2021s being a problem, and someone with a 2021 has already gotten the update and then had Visconti unlock it again without issue.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/nhtsa-recalls-aug-3-2021-remedy-available.10275/post-154704

Pre-6/20 vs Post-6/20 is a hardware change, not a software change. Toyota/BMW cannot hardware lock a pre-6/20 ECU with a software update, they would have to physically swap out the ECU.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a tunable 2021 that is not yet tuned, but I intend to tune at some point. Will this update negate my ability to bench unlock?
YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO TUNE BUT YOU WILL NEED A BENCH UNLOCK!@@@)HIF{"OIW:GNB

As stupefied as I can make it.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO TUNE BUT YOU WILL NEED A BENCH UNLOCK!@@@)HIF{"OIW:GNB

That's what I understand as well and regardless of 2020 or 2021, if you do this and are tuned, you will need to bench unlock so you can re-upload the tune.

Doing the update does not lock the ECU indefinitely. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

This - I think all caps were necessary too. If you have a tunable ECU dealer isn't gonna swap them shits out for a non tunable unit. You will still be able to unlock previously unlockable ECU. If your unit was not previously unlockable then it will stay that way too.