FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I'm not an expert, so why am I going to contribute to something I know very little about? I appear to be the only one capable of that self-awareness, weirdly.
Huh.... Difference in opinion doesn't = misinformation.

EV cars are good in their own way. Are they good for everyone? Not in my opinion and definitely not mandatory by 2035. It was a pretty shocking article to me. Hence this thread. I was curious what others thought. Great input so far.
Sponsored

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not an expert, so why am I going to contribute to something I know very little about? I appear to be the only one capable of that self-awareness, weirdly.
I try not to follow heavily political topics, and environmental policy has become a huge political game, so admittedly I don't know too much detail on the pros and cons either.

That said, if you admit that you aren't knowledgeable on the topic, how do you know that what other people are sharing here is misinformation. It seems oxymoronic to me. If you're not gonna contribute your perspective then is it productive to just call bullshit on everything else around you?

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I try not to follow heavily political topics, and environmental policy has become a huge political game, so admittedly I don't know too much detail on the pros and cons either.

That said, if you admit that you aren't knowledgeable on the topic, how do you know that what other people are sharing here is misinformation. It seems oxymoronic to me. If you're not gonna contribute your perspective then is it productive to just call bullshit on everything else around you?
If they aren't experts, and are expressing opposing or divergent opinions from both each other and what has become scientific consensus, it's not exactly complex reasoning. You don't need to know what the person ate for their last meal to still smell their shit and know that it is in fact shit.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Huh.... Difference in opinion doesn't = misinformation.

EV cars are good in their own way. Are they good for everyone? Not in my opinion and definitely not mandatory by 2035. It was a pretty shocking article to me. Hence this thread. I was curious what others thought. Great input so far.
Thankfully you only have one vote.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
By 2035 the 100% electric vehicle options out there will be very much improved from what is available today. At least in terms of powertrain technology, battery tech and hydrogen fuel cells. And again... we'll see how well hydrogen ICE pans out concurrent to all of those for niche cars (I hope so...)

Even by 2030 there should already be significant improvements in the technology that drastically reduces the downsides we're debating with EVs in 2022.

By then I'd just like to see many more approaches for fun EV cars in the vein of what Dodge, Toyota GR, Lexus, Hyundai, Porsche and Lotus are experimenting with.

Also by 2035 a severe drop-off in the popularity of crossovers, CUVs, non-offroad behemouth land yacht SUVs and formless bubble-car blob EVs with a million touchscreens in the dashboards would be nice too but I have more faith in better battery technology emerging before any of those trends fall out of favor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Some of switching to 100% Mandatory EV's flaws are that they are politically driven, poorly thought out, huge cash startup, maintenance, infrastructure, raw materials and further inflationary fuel to the fire due to heavy subsidy (taxes). Why not revisiting nuclear power instead? Just an example... Better mix of power options to choose from and see what may or may not work best 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I live in a pretty rural area. If the grid goes down (which it can during a bad storm) and all I have are electric vehicles, I'd be stranded. If we're mandating lower-emission vehicles, I'd much prefer a hybrid vs an EV for my daily driving.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is a current grid and electrical infrastructure problem we have right now in 2022. This will be mitigated over the coming years with drastic improvements to both. That and lithium-ion battery chemistry with all its downsides and limitations will before 2035 become a thing of the past at least in the newest EVs.

As for right now though both California and Texas are going to have to address major grid upgrades. Also, with newer equipment all new transformers are going to need Faraday cage shielding as an even more over-arching protective measure against solar flare induced blowouts (which, as rare as that may ever be is still a concern for preserving grid integrity).

It's not like we don't know how to deal with these needed upgrades. We just have to actually do them.

The charger designs are starting to get better as well, as Electrify America for one is doing away with older designs in favor of new ones that handle and distribute DC Fast Charge power loads more evenly between adjacent units and which aren't so buggy as has been the case.

https://insideevs.com/news/609179/electrify-america-balanced-charging-hyper-fast/

Tesla Superchargers seem to be poised to open up for use with other manufacturer EVs in the near future as well so that's good. Here's also hoping their chargers and the others will also work with custom constructed EV conversion cars as well as stock OEM EVs.

Right now... I would not get an EV as a long distance car. In rural areas it's going to take the longest amount of time for an EV to be a reasonable proposition. By 2030 or so it'll be a different landscape as to the grid.

Most of the enthusiast models we like here will be the slowest to fully transition (which leaves a couple of model cycles at least for some some ICE based designs before 2035) in most cases compared to general boring everyday vehicles and light commercial vehicles.

But these issues we have right now with old sections of the electrical grid do need to be addressed with upgrades before even the most boring affordable mass-market EVs can be considered by most folks to be a reliable long term option.

And this also includes rentable apartments and other properties getting Level 2 chargers in parking spots. If you're an apartment renter it's generally a bad idea at this time to buy an EV for your daily driving if you have nowhere to plug your car in to charge at home.

A friend of mine who has a new-ish Tesla Model 3 Long Range manages it as an apartment renter who street parks with not even a 120V outlet to charge from... but she also lives only 5 or so blocks away from a Tesla service center where she can pop right over for a quick fast charge before and after work as needed. I consider that to be an exceptional case at this time.

Here's an article that just dropped today regarding more Federal funding that will go into EV chargers. Their approach is to push along the buildout with even more private industry to follow their lead.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...00-million-us-ev-charging-funding-2022-09-14/

Last edited:

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I fixed this problem by not owning an EV. Easy peasy 😂. I love CA and don't plan to leave. I probably like it here more than most because:
1. I take advantage of all the great stuff the state offers.
2. I don't give AF about politics so leave it to those who do
3. Make more money than I can in any other state. It's at least proportionate to my pay: cost of living anywhere else, of not better.
I'm lucky, though. I know CA is just too much for some.
I'd actually like to see about half the population leave. That would be awesome. 😂

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
6A481B7A-D278-4C16-BD5A-45B3665E9C14.jpeg
Neighbor has one of these. I swear it looks better in person 😍 If push comes to shove…. That’s an EV I could compromise with 😜

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
6A481B7A-D278-4C16-BD5A-45B3665E9C14.jpeg
Neighbor has one of these. I swear it looks better in person 😍 If push comes to shove…. That’s an EV I could compromise with 😜
The Taycans do indeed look good. They're no replacement for coupe Porsches but as electric luxury sedans go I'd take one over a Tesla without question. I don't like that they haven't taken Dodge's approach to amplified driveline noise over totally fake generated noise but they're off to a good start with their battery cell management approach and their use of a 2-speed transmission in the rear.

I heard it argued by one reviewer that if you value rear sliding fun over outright 0-60 speed any of the RWD Taycans are the ones to look at. Matter of opinion of course.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can’t beat ‘em, join em